2012 Ford VS Buick OK???

I have been wondering the same thing. Usually they have the date set right after the previous year and Phil gets the commitment list going. I also noticed the OK Buick club doesn't collect dues anymore. I hope its not over because I bought my Buick just to race at this event every year.

I'm afraid the rumor is that it isn't going to happen. Some of the OK Fords are talking about getting something together.

I guess it is official - no shoot out this year. Clay texted me that Dick sent out an email saying there would not be one this year because they elected to not renew their contract with Thunder Valley. I was afraid of this. Hopefully something will come up as an alternative as I always enjoyed the event.

Well what if we can make it a TX/OK shootout them Russ? DFW has 2, 1/4 mile tracks and at least 2, 1/8 mile tracks that might be a good choice to use.

Well what if we can make it a TX/OK shootout them Russ? DFW has 2, 1/4 mile tracks and at least 2, 1/8 mile tracks that might be a good choice to use.

If the TX crew were able to get something together I would defintely try to make it down. I like the format because I'm not really interested in running against other Buicks and I enjoy being on a "team". Do you know of anything in the works or is that just a hypothetical question?

hypothetical for now Russ. The Dallas group has a meeting coming up and I sent a note to Carl to see if they might be interested. It might open it up to a few more guys being in Texas after all.:biggrin:

We had 2-1/4 mile tracks. Dallas Raceway shut down. The Shootout is the one can't miss race of the year. It would be a shame to lose that rivalry.

Don't count Dallas raceway out yet. It was just redone so someone may try and make a go of it. It was one of the nicest tracks out there and even had it's own lake. Hopefully it will be bought quick enough so that the races can be opend for the season.

I'd hate to see these races go away myself even though I haven't had the chance to go yet. I'd almost bet that if everyone gets together we can find a different location that would work for all and keep it friendly and fun.:)

Don't count Dallas raceway out yet. It was just redone so someone may try and make a go of it. It was one of the nicest tracks out there and even had it's own lake. Hopefully it will be bought quick enough so that the races can be opend for the season.

I'd hate to see these races go away myself even though I haven't had the chance to go yet. I'd almost bet that if everyone gets together we can find a different location that would work for all and keep it friendly and fun.:)

I've contacted the owners of the Smokin' Amarillo Dragway about this. We have a quarter mile track here, it's only 4 hours from OKC, 5 hours from Dallas, 7-9 for Austin and Houston, less than 2 from New Mexico, fairly close to Kansas and Nebraska...you get the point.

I asked them if they would like to try to do an event like this and if not, what it would take to rent it out for a weekend in the fall. They are drag racers/car people, so I'm hopeful that they will see the potential in having something like this come to Amarillo.

Ok I just heard back from the Amarillo track owner's wife. She says that Amarillo Dragway has something in the works for this, so you guys hang tight, we might have you covered. I'll keep you guys up on what I know as I find out what's going on.

:D:D:D:D:D

I ran at amarillo for drag week & it sure was a mess there. I know the track recently got new owners, but it was a bust for the event at the track. It needs a lot of improvement!! It wasnt just track surface, everything. Good crowd, only thing good about stoping there.

Only posting my opinion on the amarillo track.

If someone else took the event over, why not just keep it at noble??

Man that just sucks it can't stop needs to keep going! I was really hoping to make this years meet. Crap if nothing plans out San Antonio Raceway to far for you guys. Really nice track would have to talk to the guy who runs it if nothing gets done. So man no more Ruby Inn or the breakfast!

From what I am hearing, the event in Amarillo is going to be geared more towards GM vs. the world. While we would absolutely invite all BOP stuff to come participate, it won't be Ford vs Buick, although it will be in similar format.

bring the whole gm contingency will even the playing field.w/the lsx turbo boys showing up would be very interesting!

Well that would be different but different sometimes is better! Well I assume someome is trying to make this happen this year,and will it be in the fall? But if the track sucks in Amarillo rather have have it else where.

Working on something. I love going to Buick/Ford. Matter of fact it has been the ONLY race I have been able to get away from the shop to attend for the last 2 years. I prefer racing other brands and just don't get the "whoop" from racing other Buicks. I respect everything Dick and others have put into this event and am in contact with a track about relocating the event AS IT IS. Hopefully it will all pan out. I am not a rich man but to see this event die is a real bummer for me and many others who enjoy the whole team atmosphere. I will post up IF we can put something together. I've already asked Dick if he would be the "man" at this event but let others take up the work load. Call it Grand Marshal. LOL. I think without his love of Buicks and giving back to the community the event wouldn't have happened in the first place. I cannot imagine Buick vs Ford without DW.

So to cliff note it: Working on moving the event as a whole. Not far away for those worried they may not make it due to driving distance. Hopefully it'll pan out. If it does I will post up as we will need help from anyone able in order to continue the event.

There will be a Buick Ford Shootout in 2012.

Mark Shackleford from Kansas is sponsoring the event this year and it will be held at the Mid-America Dragway near Ark City, Kansas on October 6th. He has an announcement about the event posted in a sticky thread under the National Racing Events. Please read the announcement.

I am very pleased to see the event continue and look forward to seeing all the past members of Team Buick at the event.

I will start a thread for a Commitment List as I have done in the past so we need to let Mark know he has made a lot of us happy by sponsoring the event.

Website for the track is
http://www.midamericadragway.net/format

Phil Engle

There will be a Buick Ford Shootout in 2012.

Mark Shackleford from Kansas is sponsoring the event this year and it will be held at the Mid-America Dragway near Ark City, Kansas on October 6th. He has an announcement about the event posted in a sticky thread under the National Racing Events. Please read the announcement.

I am very pleased to see the event continue and look forward to seeing all the past members of Team Buick at the event.

I will start a thread for a Commitment List as I have done in the past so we need to let Mark know he has made a lot of us happy by sponsoring the event.

Website for the track is
http://www.midamericadragway.net/format

Phil Engle

A little far for me in the Dallas area but I'll try and make it. I love the event!