2012 BPG Donors

Fiscus tried the Finishline Furious 4 and Qualified...he almost made it to the final...he raced against a V8 car...yes we get a lot of donations but does not all go to the Turbo classes...why not try for the Q16...for the past few years at most of the Buick events it is hard to get a 8 car field...BPG is non profit...we give back to the racers that show up... 5 racers $60 per day if not a member is $600 thru the gate...what should the payout be...

I don't organize these events & really don't know what the payouts should be. Not trying to start a pissing match here but the way it seems is that you were asked about the payouts & didn't give any answers besides $9000 in cash & $4000 in gift certs. Almost like you didn't want to commit till you knew the car count, then the racers saw no guaranteed purses & didn't show. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the payouts.

No issue taken..the BPG posted the funds that were available to those that showed up...The BPG is non profit we pay back to those that participate. We do not ask The Turbo classes to get their own sponsors we do that for you. Now if a donor wants specific payouts to a certain class we have to honor those wishes. This has been the same process for the past 5 years...Trust me I have talked to all the heads of these classes and they understand that payouts the BPG provides is based on car count... Just look at the TB.com event the payouts were posted and still no one showed up. In my opinion the Turbo Classes have become so restrictive that only a few can compete. Look at TSO THS TSM when they started out...They had a full field at every event. THS had a full field at the BPG event a few years ago...and then rules started to change...I have numerous post stating the fact that the more you change the rules the more cars can't compete. Think of this from a business point of view...A donor wants to contribute $2000 wher is he going to put it based on previous events in the Turbo community...to same same few guys that win all the time or to the other classes where they get more for their money...

THS had a full field at the BPG event a few years ago...and then rules started to change..

Ok help me out with this statement, what rules have changed in THS that have hurt car count?????

:eek:
lets see we had 3 Turbo classes and only 5 cars showed up

Your numbers are off Sean, that's not even how many cars showed for THS, there were 6 which I realize isn't record breaking but at least they got to race 3 rounds.

His answer was "I posted the payouts and the guys came and tried, I am going to give them the full payout." To me this says a lot about the event and the guy running it.

Yes we did this many times at the TB.com nats... Year before last the entire quick 8 check went to 2 people, they didn't even race....

I think it is time we all face the facts.... IT IS THE ECONOMY... Add that to the fact are numbers are dying by attrition... I think the BPG did a great job promoting the event and had great payouts set up...

Times are tough for most American's... The play money just isn't there like it used to be...

We can point fingers all day but my vote goes to the economy....

Shane is right. Economy sucks. I think the bpg race also suffers from the strict rule scare created a few years ago. However, I was told that there was a mid 9 second car up there running with no cage this year.

Also, the buzz that there used to be before events is no longer there. Maybe it is me, but the last couple years I raced Buick stuff was no where as exciting as it was the first few years I raced.

Obviously the economy is to blame for most of the problems witg participation...but to be honest threads like this are also to blame, the casual spectator sees this and says oh well no one's going to be there I'll stay home too.

And Kevin not to be mean, but obviously it was more exciting there were more people.

I meant the lead up to the race. Remember all the smack talking on the boards??

Another thing that hurts the Buick racing in general, not event specific, is the fact that there are no new racers. Was there a new face at the 3 races this year yet? When you don't get new racers and the the old racers retire from v6 racing (me, Tim, Phil, Scott, Toni and Sam, Clay....just the racers all within 3 hours of me that have quit in the last few years ....I know I'm leaving out a bunch,) the car counts die. Ths is a great class because it is an entry class, not many want to build a $10k grenade tsm motor (low 9 sec 109...not saying anything bad about the 109 but we all know the limited passes a 109 making that much power has.) and tso is Mega bucks.

I stand Corrected...I went over the rules since 2010 and there are no changes. I apologize. I was told that there were only 5 cars competing in the 3 Turbo Classes...I will get clarification on this.
yes the Economy is partially to blame but we did well this year...We made money and will be able to hold an event next year. It just seems to me that the Turbo Classes are down all around and yet the V8 Classes fill up....Something to think about for next year.

I had planned on going all along but Steve doesnt attend any longer and Brian couldnt make it. D-day said not in the budget this year Ryan and Brandon not going ...I really was on the fence thursday last week.I tryed to get some newbes to come up that I met at the local track and swap meet .On thursday I called my son Rob and ask if he was going and he said hell ya we are going so I got to spend some time with him or I may have stayed home and worked on the 65....Glad I went got to see Kip,Ed and the gang..Kevin Broadwater and his wife,Wild Bill ,and just had fun .Got some info on the Powerlogger that will help me out next race OH and dont forget Lonnie was in the house!

I stand Corrected...I went over the rules since 2010 and there are no changes. I apologize. I was told that there were only 5 cars competing in the 3 Turbo Classes...I will get clarification on this.
there were 7, 3,& 1

All the changes were in TSM not THS

BTW,I didnt say anything saturday but I know what I wouldve done if I was running THS and saw one car in TSM????
JUMPY JUMPY!!! guaranteed runner up!!!

I have to disagree about the economy.

We attend many different events and most are JAM PACKED. Its mostly that people are restoring these cars now or are owned by older folks who dont realy drive them any more. Buick was a small community to begin with, now its even smaller.

I know this...it's damn expensive to build a competitive turbo car. I'm building what I consider a mid-range stroker in the 650 rwhp range and got over 20k in a drive train. Still no cage.
I could never run at BPG unless I slow to 11.5 and then it seems like the rules or regulations change every year with posting a notification. Example 2 years ago...No laptops in cars!!! Then an hour later it changed to...it had to be strapped in. I remember the amount of pissed off racers in the pits. Many swore not to return. I guess they have held to their principles if only 10 or so showed. We had 10 turbo cars racing a few weeks ago at the Steel Valley Super Nationals at Quaker City Raceway in Salem, Ohio...the old BPG sight.

I have to disagree about the economy.

We attend many different events and most are JAM PACKED. Its mostly that people are restoring these cars now or are owned by older folks who dont realy drive them any more. Buick was a small community to begin with, now its even smaller.
Your 100% correct the Mopar Nationals is this weekend at National Trail and there will be close to 20,000 spectators and racers there. In the past 5 years there has been tons of Turbo Buicks being parted out. towing your car 5 hours an hoping there is at least. 4 cars in your class to run is no fun

Well the nats are coming up I am sure people will be able to make up money there.

I would consider myself a newcomer to the turbobuick classes...I realize I may have missed the peak, but I also am realistic about payouts and their effect on whether I will travel to a race or not, I'd say it is nice, but if you travel to a race and NEED to win money...then this is not your hobby. I traveled 450 miles this weekend to race my car heads up...I could have driven 30 miles and raced 10.0 index at Cecil County...to me it's worth the drive and effort to run ANY type of heads up vs. bracket or index.

This weekend we won THS and received a $100 check, $100 gift certificate to TA Performance (thank you TA) and a gift card from Pro Car Associates ........ but I entered not knowing what the payouts were.

I want to thank the BPG, and anyone else that puts on a race these days as it is a huge undertaking and as a member of a smaller car community (Buick) it is neat to see the same faces at the different events... I am looking forward to my next "road trip" to BG and seeing some of you guys there....

I stand Corrected...I went over the rules since 2010 and there are no changes.

Thanks Sean for clearing that up. I don't like to see false information posted about anything, especially THS.

Take care, Kip

This weekend we won THS and received a $100 check, $100 gift certificate to TA Performance (thank you TA) and a gift card from Pro Car Associates that says it is an invalid card number when I called in to activate it :( ........ but I entered not knowing what the payouts were.

I want to thank the BPG, and anyone else that puts on a race these days as it is a huge undertaking and as a member of a smaller car community (Buick) it is neat to see the same faces at the different events... I am looking forward to my next "road trip" to BG and seeing some of you guys there....

There is also a $100 Cert for full throttle I just have to tell Mike who won it and where to send it...can you PM me your Address and info...Thanks