2012 BPG Donors

I have to disagree about the economy.

We attend many different events and most are JAM PACKED. Its mostly that people are restoring these cars now or are owned by older folks who dont realy drive them any more. Buick was a small community to begin with, now its even smaller.

Pete, I see what you mean but I am sure these are events with a newer or a much more plentiful variety of automobile. Are numbers are small and add the hurt on top of it.... Just my .02's:D

I wanted to be there to run TSO we just couldn't get the car ready.We still came and had a good time ! Don't give up on us .

Money is tight and with $4 gas folks have to think how many long trips can I fit in the budget . And it is just to dang hot ! Even with the temps a little lower this year the sun and all the pavement takes it's toll .

we give back to the racers that show up... 5 racers $60 per day if not a member is $600 thru the gate...what should the payout be...
Help me understand what gate fee has too do with payout money you already had? It would be nice to see a break down on how the $13,000 got paid out. If i was a donor I would like to know.
We use to do 3 day's at the BPG and decided this year to do one day. We don't race for the money and hit most events.
When you said we have $13,000 in payouts we got excited and then let down.
We are going to the MWBC like every year and if there are NO payouts we won't be mad because they didn't make it look like a pot of gold was at the end of the rainbow.
You and the donors obviously don't care about the biggest heads up class you have so next year we will probably be a NO SHOW.

where does the money come to hold an event and contribute to the payouts...the Gate and Donors

We did 2 days to try something different and that is what the BPG Members decided on

There was $13000 in payouts and yes you have the largest "heads up class" but you are not the largest class and did not have a full field if you had the payouts would of been bumped up more. Did you ask any of your vendors to contribute to your specific class. The BPG just provides you with a location to hold your Heads up Class...

I personally know of several turbo owners that don't bring cars because of the 11.50 rule about the cage. Norwalk has a few dozen turbo cars in the 10.80 and lower range without cages.
Last year a friend and I talked another friend into going. His car runs 10.8-10.7. He had to keep it to 11.20-11.30 and wasn't having a good time. He did not return this year. I have been to 5 different events this summer and National Trail is the ONLY track where you get scolded for every little rule. We are not driving pieces of shit down the track. There are 100's of unopened motors on this forum that run faster then the 11.50 rule with just bolt-ons...and no one wants to ruin the value of their car with a cage.

Just my thoughts on why the turnout might be low. I don't think it's BPG's fault.

11.49 rule is NHRA ...NHRA owns the Track...BPG is named as insured...if something was to happen and they let someone run without safety equipment maybe you would not sue but I am sure many others would or their family, because someone did not follow the rules. As a Director I am therefor also liable and I do not feel like losing my house. Again we were asked if THS could run at the track and we said yes.

Ok since im the head person in charge of "Donors" for the event for BPG (The term IRS describes a non profit club such as the BPG, therefore i can say sponsors because that would be for profit and we are non profit) let me shed some light on this topic which i have gotten quite a few phone calls wanting to know about this process. Now i know how Romney feels about opening the books but alas i am not worried because I have nothing to hide.

Gate fees do base on payouts because these events are not free. The gate fee goes to paying for the track use such as staff, track prep, emergency vehicles and personnel, personnel cleaning the facility, the track, tower personnel, etc. The cost is not cheap. I used to do BPG test and tunes for 4 years in a row and it was $500 bucks for 4 hours. Im sure it went up in price! Everything oil related has gone up and will continue to do so!

I make a ton of phone calls and emails to get people to give us money to give back to the racers. Basically a few weeks after the event right up to the day before the event. A lot has changed since the 1980s and the height of muscle car revival and the birth/death of our beloved Turbo Regals. I didnt miss a GS Nats with my parents from 88-93 then didnt miss again from 96-03. Lately i have been too busy but this fall i will go back as some of my best memories are in BG, just so people know im not a bias person, i bleed Tri Shield period and would attend more events if time allowed! Ask any of my close friends!

Back in the 80s when i was little and would go to the GS Nats people would race for a trophy and title i.e. (1989 GS Nats, Fastest GS/TR driven to the nationals in street trim and add slicks!). The title and notoriety was what everyone wanted. Now in the age of entitlement and cost increase this can no longer happen! No longer as the cars have gone way up in value, parts higher, cost for insurance, fear of accident/cutting up a car, sickness, death, job loss, small community, saving for restoration, income depreciation,etc. As you can see, tons of way to slice the apple. As Sean stated, the track uses NHRA rules and is NHRA owned. Therefore we have to play by their rules. Norwalk is run by Bill Bader and he can set his policies because even though he is an NHRA track he can set his rules because he owns the facility. We have only the use of one insurance company that would insure our event as well as have to be approved by the NHRA.

Buick events are smaller in numbers. Comparing to Mopar Nationals (Think about this way Buick made the Turbo Regals and GS) vs Chrysler who made the Barracuda, Challenger, Duster, Charger, Super Bee, Cornet, Dart, Roadrunner, Satellite, GTX etc). In just numbers a lone its the same theory when comparing Mustangs to Turbo Regals. Apples and oranges. Pontiac nats i got to attend briefly to see a friend from Michigan and i talked to a few of their staff and their numbers were down as well. Major races i attend locally both in show and race are all down.

Now to payouts. Specific donors will often earmark who they want to donate their monies to as in a specific class. Often enough especially in Buicks, with exception of a few, most donate gift certificates to the class. I will not dime out anyone because i dont want to hear the accusations. But your major players often donate gift certs because they want to have the winners spend money at their shop. Think of the recycling sign. A lot of vendors pay big money to travel and spend ungodly amounts on engineering designs, tooling and everything to give us factory correct parts for our cars. We should be kissing their rear but instead we bash them tell them how high they are in price how it took one extra day for shipping and nothing but negativity. Believe me i m in the car industry and my stepfather has run 2 soon to be 3 successful pre owned dealerships by busting his ass 7 days a week ( I know Shane can relate) for now over 31 years. The public is ruthless. Give them an inch they take a mile. So when a big donor comes to me and says i want to do trophies and throw $5k down for these classes, another says i want to put down $3k for the running of a heads up class of the fastest 4 Buicks in the park and another one says ill pay more money for trophies and run king of the hill class where its winner take all, i have to do what they tell me. If i take their money and give to someone else, then im dishonest a liar and disrespectful, bad business and i lose all credibility with everyone, fans , racers, donors, and spectators. I get the money and get told where to put it. Some people i dont bother calling because they want to send a few parts here and there and maybe some gift certs and they tell me times are tough which i know they are. But i have to do what they tell me because if not then they tell me, no donations, dont bother calling. That has not happened but it will if you step on someones toes.

Track tech has been a hot topic at Trails. I have had several people since i got into this 2 years ago ask me why Norwalk does this but Trails does the opposite. Believe me i wish i could make us all get along. But i have to play by their rules. Ask anyone who knows me im very nice and easy to talk to and spent a lot of time talking with various people at BPG. Im not perfect but ill give everything a shot. I do not want to have to tell a friend of mines family or significant other, "Hey it was my fault i went to a track that doesnt tech and the car collided with a fully caged car and my negligence and greed to get more cars running cost them their life, please forgive me?" I like to sleep at night and dont want to think of this, i had to tell plenty of people when i was a cop their loved ones were dead and i dont need that at a race track. Im not losing my house and everything i worked hard for in life for being stupid, greedy and negligent. Sure a lot of the racers are great drivers, but ironically i never have complaints from the fastest guys in the park who may have had a previous big accident (like Bobb Makley) who were happy for all their safety equipment and have experienced a high speed wreck or something that changed their thought process. Believe me i realize the cars are worth the money and i want them to stay clean and collectible. I cringe everytime i see a beat up Buick of any type. But safety is safety and how BG and Norwalk run their tracks is up to themselves. If you saw on various websites what happens when a car with unfit cage, unfit helmet, and not safety teched properly happens when you hit a rail at 150mph google search richard moore dodge dart accident at thompson. it was the perfect storm of effects and a true tragedy but when you are using a helmet thats not a full faced helmet, you are driving an 8 sec 150mph car with no chutes, that you comment to someone around you the car was tough to stop bc its a jericho and you dont down shift to shut up bc when you do the second time it broke the rear end locked the rear tires and ended his life and did not have an X bar, it could have been prevented. I dont want that to happen on my watch, no negligence, no liability.

Payouts were paid to one racer in amount of 3100 for winning one class, 3100 for king of the hill and 3200 for the Furious 4. Believe me i like street cars. I realize Buicks are expensive to race and show, i have friends who own immaculate examples of both GS and TRs, some race, some concourse quality show car, some 9 , 10, 11 and 12 sec cars as well. Believe me i know the cost is tough whether you are building a concourse frame off GS resto or 9 sec TSM car. I am working more than ever for next year to have donors give cash and also try and get product throw in since a lot of the gift certificates go unused as well.

I am willing to have a conversation with anyone about our policies. My cell is 216 470 8844. Call me anytime if i dont pick up well let it go to voicemail and leave a message and ill call you back asap!

Ill also take anyone who wants to help out or donate product or money to a specific class or input. Im always open to new ideas. Matter of fact i love them, and ill give you credit and try and give you something in return as well , to make it worth your while.

Believe me its like when im trying to sell a car. Of course i want to sell everyone a car but sometimes factors prevent it from happening. I want to make everyone feel like I care which i do about the race and show program. Therefore if you have a company or you yourself want to donate a particular product or cash to a show or race class by all means tell me. I do whatever i can do for our donors and benefactors to make sure spectators, racers, owners and everyone in between is taken care of the best I possibly can do. I am still learning a lot but i like to feel that we show people a fun atmosphere and a great time.

I do have my issues with Trails and many things are being looked at by the Board of Directors so that all types of Buick owners, fans, spectators, race/show owners, vendors, etc can enjoy the event as soon as much as possible and get as most bang for their buck as they can! No question about that!

So ideas , comments, complaints, ideas, advice lay it on me. Email is trose231@hotmail.com