200R4 Trans With Stage motor

NJTurbo

Simply The Best
Are most of you guys running the 200R4 or a 400 with a brake. Kinda hate to get rid of OD. :(

Here's folks with stage motors and what I know they run:

Art Paltz: 400
Jack Cotton: 400
Tony Gomes: 400
Joe Horvith: 400
Neal Whyte: 400

Ron & Red: both run 200's......suprise

It'll be good to see what consensus comes back on this thread for informational purposes.

I just hate to get rid of OD and hack the car all up. I am also going with GNX dash verses gauges all over the place. I would like to think by now there is someone to build the 200R4 to withstand 750HP. :(

As in life there is always trade offs, some things you have to give up for 750 HP IMO.

I wanted to run a 200 behind my car but after talking to a couple of 200 gurus (Bruce included), they told me I was wasting my time. Others are doing it but I dont know what their reliability is like. I didnt want to have to be swapping them in and out all the time so I decided on a 400.

I have spoke with a few guys running the 200 and running 10.0s and 9.90s seems that if they have the trans built right with the Billet parts they usually only need to be rebuilt once a year. But I am sure this would vary with each car. Lighter cars would benefit more, Higher HP heavier cars would need more maintenence and have more parts breakage. seems the threshhold for this Trans would be around 800HP in a lighter(3200#-3400#) than stock TR. If You plan on more HP or weight then its best to go with a 400. If you want to keep the 200 stay below those numbers and learn to rebuild the thing yourself and save a fortune!

Frank

I ran the 200r for a year with my S2, loved it. Ran as fast as 9.70's with 21lbs of boost and launched off the foot brake. Now that I've switched to the 400, it's ok, but I miss the 200r on the street and for cruising. My car weighed in at 3700 when I was running it last, with AC and all. Unfortunately the level I want to run at now, prevents me from using the 200r. I used one of our own trannys as a test to see if it would hold up, worked great. No billett parts, just a Hi-pro rebuild.

Jack,

Who did your 200R4:confused:

Also i hope you got the $40.00 i owed you. I sent it a few weeks ago. :)

Eric Shirtz (SP?) runs one in his 9 second stage car. I asked him about it when he was building my 200R for my street car. He says it can be done but he rebuilds his trans every year and pretty much finds something that was wearing/going each time. He puts about 70 runs on the car every season. If you have lots of money and can afford $1200-$1500 rebuilds every season, go for it. Personally I hate driving my stage car on the street. You can't nail it cause it just gets all squirrelly at anything under 50 MPH so what's the use? Then you have to worry about something breaking or someone hitting you, etc. Personally my street GN is much more fun to drive on the street. Only reason my stage car is registered on the street is cause I have to drive it to the track! If I had a trailer and truck I'd be trailering it.

400's are cheaper to rebuild and last way longer. My converter is a 4000 stall converter and I can travel at about 55 MPH at about 2500 RPM. it gets expensive tooling around when you are running race fuel all the time. Hell, I must burn 3-4 gallons of fuel getting to and from the track each weekend.

I agree, if you are planning to put out more than 700 HP and run in the 9's, save your self some money and headaches and just put in a 400. Highway driving in a stage car sucks. For tooling around town manually shifting a 400 is fun!

Originally posted by Buicksx2
As in life there is always trade offs, some things you have to give up for 750 HP IMO.

There are 2004Rs that are living at 750 RWHP (960HP flywheel) with no problems and making lots of passes. I personally would recommend a 2004R for a stage 2 street car that runs mid to high 9s. The 2004R will require more maintenance from year to year than the 400. If you are building a trailer queen that sees limited street use the 400 would be a better choice. Its all up to the owner of the car. What ever works for you use it.

I wonder if there is some way to mount a 4L80 behind that joker. Maybe someone with a machine shop could make a bellhouseing adapter and crossmember or something.

Originally posted by HossV6
I wonder if there is some way to mount a 4L80 behind that joker. Maybe someone with a machine shop could make a bellhouseing adapter and crossmember or something.

This is possable however the 4L80E is a heavy unit. The only benifit over a 400 verses a 4L80E is the 4L80E will still give you OD, The 400 does not. I am going to run the 200r4 if i must rebuild once a year, i will live with that. I really hate to get rid of OD and putting in the 4L80E is a monster Trans. :)

NJ I dont think you will regret keeping the 200 just get the good parts for it. Also IF you are up to it learn to rebuild it yourself and make life a whole lot easier not to mention cheaper! If you were to rebuild it yourself it would only run you about $300-400 Max per year. VS $1200 for someone else to do it, and you will know it was done right! If you are scared of rebuilding it yourself dont be they arent that difficult, especially if you get a step by step video on how to do it. I got a video and was shocked at how simple it was. If I had forgot a certain procedure I just played the video. now its no sweat.

hth

Frank

Originally posted by Two Lane
That's some darned excellent advice! :)

Two Lane maybe with my new drums you are going to get me, i can also save some weight. :D

Originally posted by LikeMy6
NJ I dont think you will regret keeping the 200 just get the good parts for it. Also IF you are up to it learn to rebuild it yourself and make life a whole lot easier not to mention cheaper! If you were to rebuild it yourself it would only run you about $300-400 Max per year. VS $1200 for someone else to do it, and you will know it was done right! If you are scared of rebuilding it yourself dont be they arent that difficult, especially if you get a step by step video on how to do it. I got a video and was shocked at how simple it was. If I had forgot a certain procedure I just played the video. now its no sweat.

hth

Frank

Frank, where can one buy a video for rebuilding the 2004r? I will have a spare trans soon and would like to try and build my own.

Dannyo