200R4 reliablity

Bigjoedo

Hello,

New to the Forum. Sorry I don't have a Buick. I have a 76 Chevy Monte Carlo. I replaced the stock TH350 with a "Heavy Duty" 200R4. We followed the companies instructions exactly and contacted them with pressure readings etc. I don't want to mention the company's name but this is a Stage 2 trans they are located in Southern CA. It is supposed to "handle a steady diet of 450HP". The engine in my Monte Carlo is a SBC 425HP, 460Ft. lbs of torque. It is a street criuser, never been raced. I do light the tires from time to time. The trans has 1500 Miles but is 4 years old. Only driven in good weather
Recently the fluid and filter were changed and there was a lot of metal in the pan. I contacted their tech support and was told that is normal. A local trans shop pulled the unit out and apart and found the planetary gears were broken. Is this a common thing with the 200R4? Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem? Thanks

Bigjoedo Ohio

I have used several of the vendors and Lonnie at Extreme is my prefered.

Yes the planets are a common weak point. Was it the front OD planet or the low?

Are you running a lock up or non convertor?

If L/U are you locking the TC clutch at WOT?

Turbo Nasty,

It looked like several of the gears were involved. The Trans guy had the parts laying on the bench. I'm not sure which gear started the problem. It is a lock up converter, it locked when trans was in overdrive I believe. There was a switch with which I could turn off the lockup. Sorry I'm not a trans guy.

Bigjoedo

Hello,

New to the Forum. Sorry I don't have a Buick. I have a 76 Chevy Monte Carlo. I replaced the stock TH350 with a "Heavy Duty" 200R4. We followed the companies instructions exactly and contacted them with pressure readings etc. I don't want to mention the company's name but this is a Stage 2 trans they are located in Southern CA. It is supposed to "handle a steady diet of 450HP". The engine in my Monte Carlo is a SBC 425HP, 460Ft. lbs of torque. It is a street criuser, never been raced. I do light the tires from time to time. The trans has 1500 Miles but is 4 years old. Only driven in good weather
Recently the fluid and filter were changed and there was a lot of metal in the pan. I contacted their tech support and was told that is normal. A local trans shop pulled the unit out and apart and found the planetary gears were broken. Is this a common thing with the 200R4? Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem? Thanks

Bigjoedo Ohio
The planetary gears themself are not a weak point and if they are failing and disintegrating leaving metal everywhere its most likely a problem with the lube circuit. If the cooler is clogged the trans will get hot and the planetaries will likely fail first from lack of lubrication. You have to diagnose the problem before you put another trans in the car because what your describing is probably lune circuit failure. You should post pics of the plantaries. It is not normal to have metal in the pan. If the planetaries fail the car will not move.

Bison,

How would I test the system? I have a Trans pressure gauge I also have a trans temp gauge. The trans is cooled by and external cooler in front of the radiator. Thanks

Bigjoedo

Ive had teh center suport get clogged with clutch material and block flow to the OD planet.

Tell your builder to check teh flow as Bison stated

Planetary pinion,sun and ring gear failures and fractures are practically non existent in 2004rs.Thrust washer wear is common but doesnt destroy gears.REMOVE THE COOLER LINE REAR and check for at least 1 quart every 30 seconds with engine at 1000 rpms.