200 R4 Leaks

84SFIGN

Just like the title states I have never been able to get rid of leaks on my OZ code 200R4. Anyone with a similar experience or lessons learned?? I thought it was the crappy OEM pan that was warped so I bought a cast aluminum hughes pan. It came with a fiber gasket that I decided to try with a bead of silicon on each side. The POS leaked so I took it back off, cleaned it up bought a NAPA rubber seal. The NAPA guy told me not to use sealant with it so I didn't but it is still leaking. I am at wits end with this thing. I carefully checked the gasket sealing surface on both the pan and the trans this time. No dirt. No imperfections on the mating surfaces. Why wont this thing seal up?? Any ideas?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I just replaced all the other seals on the trans. It's not coming from the TV, yoke or other locations.

Thx.

How about the selector shaft seal? TCC plug o-ring? These leak with age, are right above the pan so it could be mistaken as a pan leak. Phil.

How about the selector shaft seal? TCC plug o-ring? These leak with age, are right above the pan so it could be mistaken as a pan leak. Phil.

The leak is coming from the passenger side front corner :confused:

could be pump seal , converter seal , tv cable or tv cable seal , trans dipstick tube seal , or trans cooler lines or fittings to case
or who knows could even be engine oil from the rear main, oil pan , intake to block , valve covers ,timing cover or front seal

also be aware cases can crack and cases can leak even without cracks

put some dye in the trans fluid and go look again with a tracer light

Could be wicking around the top of the pan gasket, from a higher leak. Phil.

i would only be concerned if it didn't leak, this is a buick right?

i tighen mine to the tourqe specs, which feels just over finger tight, never had a pan gasket leak.

could be pump seal , converter seal , tv cable or tv cable seal , trans dipstick tube seal , or trans cooler lines or fittings to case
or who knows could even be engine oil from the rear main, oil pan , intake to block , valve covers ,timing cover or front seal

also be aware cases can crack and cases can leak even without cracks

put some dye in the trans fluid and go look again with a tracer light

All good advice.....I was thinking the same thing and as part of a refresh I replaced all of the seals you mentioned. Unfortunately, the leak is not coming from above the trans pan. I hope the case isn't cracked!!

I fought a leak in the exact same place and it turned out to be a pinched tv cable housing o-ring (it didn't look like the tv was the culprit but a new o-ring and careful reassembly fixed the leak). I went through everything you did, replace pan with sheet metal one, replace gasket type, permatext on the bolt threads, ect...

Good luck,
Mike