2-1 shift problems.

SBNova

I finally got around to getting my tranny back together and my car driving again. It broke on Christmas day last year. After searching long and hard, I found I had a broken turbine in the TQ. While the tranny was out, I upgraded the second servo to a billet extreme, and the band is now an alto wide. I got a new drum that the badn rides on as well. While trying to diagnose my broken turbine, I had the tranny apart numerous times, and I even tore it apart after getting the new converter due to the front seal and pump bushing coming out. This last time I shimmed the TV spring and further reduced the size of the weights on my non- TR governor in an effort to increase part throttle shifts. Before I broke anything, I was starting to have a problem with the car starting out in second gear, and its still doing it. When I drive the car and come to a stop, it stays in second. When I take off its in second, and goes to third as normal. If I shift manually to first when I am stopped, it will go into first and stay there. Even if I shift from OD, to 1st and back to OD before taking off, it will take off in 1st.

Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this problem? On this last assembly I used the CK manual and followed along throught the whole book. Usually I just use the ATSG book, but the problem still persists.

Try pulling the TV cable 1 or 2 clicks out. You have to much line pressure at minimum TV so your getting second starts.

Reduce the thickness of the TV shim to the point that the TV valve is not
being pushed in with the TV cable unhooked. You should not have to push in the TV plunger's bushing against the spring in order to put the spring pin in place.

I will try both of those. I dont think I had to compress the spring to get the assembly back in, but I could be wrong. I have a small washer in there, that probably measures about .050. Thanks for the tips.