1998 Olds LSS

turbojkt

My son bought an 1998 LSS. Cars.com shows two horsepower versions of this Series II 3.8 supercharged motor in the Oldsmobile. One at 205 for regular gas. The other at 240 for premium gas. This LSS feels a lot slower than another 98 Regal GS we have driven. Does anyone have any info on the two options, and how to determine what we have. We need some suggestions on how to wake up the LSS? And if it is the 205 HP version......how can we change it to the 240 HP?

Attachments

• IMG00241.jpg
    IMG00241.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,024
To the best of my knowledge, the 205 horse cars are the naturally aspirated cars, the 240 horse are the supercharged ones. Is the Olds an LSSI?

I don't know what an LSS1 is? Ours LSS is supercharged. We need a boost gauge to see where the boost is. How do we install one?

Not all LSSs are supercharged. Post a pic of the engine. All the supercharged one I've seen (not many since supercharged LSSs are rare) have decals and striping on them saying Supercharged. Looks to me like you got a nice LSS, just not the supercharged one.

It should be pretty easy to tell if your SC or not. :) There was a I think? a 205Hp version of the SC3800 L67 but don't quote me on that. I'm also thinking that was a Series I, your 98 is a Series II.
The NA version L32 was 200 HP not 205.

Go to the Regal GS forum, there are a lot of good guys over there that will help you out. :)

redirect

We have a 98 Regal GS (Supercharged) in the family so I am familiar with them. This 98 Olds LSS has the same supercharged motor. We were just trying to figure out why it's slower than the Regal.

I've tried to sign up for the Regal GS forum and can't seem get accepted.....It's a screwy sign up process and I keep getting denied.

We were just trying to figure out why it's slower than the Regal.
Weight would be an issue as well. I owned a '94 LeSabre the same time I owned my '00 GS and the two cars were like night and day.

IIRC, the Series II came out in '97 Rivs and in the '97.5 Regal GS. If your car is a '98 LSS, it should be the 240 HP version. There couldn't have been many of those made for sure.

I thought there was a badge on them that told you it was the S/C version, maybe not.

The entire time I owned my '00 Regal GS, I NEVER put regular gas in it. Always 93 octane or better.

We have a 98 Regal GS (Supercharged) in the family so I am familiar with them. This 98 Olds LSS has the same supercharged motor. We were just trying to figure out why it's slower than the Regal.

I would say weight would make some difference. Surely this car weighs a little more? Same size as the Park Ave?

And not all L67's were created equal some run better than others from the factory. Put a boost gauge on both they are probably different.

Olds LSS Curb Weight

I would say weight would make some difference. Surely this car weighs a little more? Same size as the Park Ave?

And not all L67's were created equal some run better than others from the factory. Put a boost gauge on both they are probably different.

This website shows a weight of 3547 for the LSS....probably about the same as the Regal GS.

1998 Oldsmobile LSS Standard Equipment and Specs

This website shows a weight of 3547 for the LSS....probably about the same as the Regal GS.

1998 Oldsmobile LSS Standard Equipment and Specs

Lighter than I thought:eek: I didn't look at the specs on the car, is the drvetrain same as the regal? Gears, Trans etc? HP #'s are the same but what about the TQ?

Again not all Regals are created equal. My son and I have done the exact same mods to his 99 that we did to my 97 and the 99 is a little faster. It just seems to have a little more. We have not dyno'd the 99 yet. The 97 was 225WHP.

ok it sounds like you have allready verified its the L67 (SC'ed)

the lss is not that heavy , its based on the earlier h body I believe - a stock one in a good state of tune driven properly in decent racing weather should crack 14's

one of the best sleepers out there :D

start with new ac delco wires & fuel filter , clean the coil terminals and put a set of autolite copper core plugs (605's or 104's) at the stock gap .060 , and a drilled 180* thermostat ( 160* will throw a code)

run some of the highest octane premium fuel you can get in your area through it for a tank or 2 - if you look inside the fuel door on any l67 there should be a premium fuel only tag - treat it like a GN its a boosted 3800 after all :tongue:

disconnect the battery for minimum 1/2 hour to reset the pcm so if its been run on lower octane and defaulted to the low octane table it can return to the high octane table for some extra timing advance as well as to reset the fuel trims

it should be a differnt car after this ^

if thats not enough add headers and a modular pulley system with a 3.5 and you should be flirting with 14.00ish

add a set of 1.9 rockers and you should easily be 13.9x and garnering lots of WTF looks as well as bustin lots of ego's on street night at the track with a grand or so in mods - less if you buy previously loved mods from the above mentioned forums , most basic 3800 mods are durable items/non wear parts