1122 HP and glad to be back

Toyboy

Hey guys and gals,

If you have had your Buick since new, you may remember the right up about my 87 GN in the GS newsletter years ago. I purchased it new and was a regular at the GS nationals many years ago. Kenny Duttweiler built my Buick engine, Art Carr did the transmission, and Curry made up the 9” ford reared, I had a blast years ago and can not wait to meet all at the next nationals. I even made the super sixteen in the early years, car only has 14,000 miles and I purchased new, ordered every option available, even the delux trunk package. Back then it ran a consistant 10.50 @ 130mph and still looks stock. I want to thank all that have contributed to the ne re-build. Me and my sweetheart went to Kentucky a couple years ago (without the GN) WOW had it changed, thought that if I wanted to be competitive I would need to contact Kenny Duttweiler ( and his wife Margie) and let them know that I want to bring the ole’ GN out of the garage and have some fun. Well, Now for the rest of the story, after two trips out west, and a lot of fun on the Dyno, I can not wait to get the engine back in the car and meet at Kentucky this year. Oh yes we made over 1122 HP on pump gas (E-85) and Kenny did not crank the boost. Oh how technology has changed from years ago, back in 87 you could not even order a set of headers off of the shelf and now there are many available. Can’t wait to see and meet you all and after 25 years bring my Buick out and continue the fun.

Respectfully,
Richard Adkins

Wow...what an engine! Show us some pics please.
Ok, here are some pics on the Dyno.
A0A6928A-BEE9-4920-9E02-166EC6A84000.jpeg
51314769-32F4-400B-956D-B5DC36A72E29.jpeg
56B35901-825A-40BF-8CCD-31B5C0197997.jpeg

Kenny preforms his magic, on the tuning. Lots of instrumentation and years of expertise

How much was the cost for Duttweiler to tune your engine?

He wasn't able to give me an exact price since each setup is so different, but I figure with your number I can at least get a more concise notion of what it will cost me.

How much was the cost for Duttweiler to tune your engine?

He wasn't able to give me an exact price since each setup is so different, but I figure with your number I can at least get a more concise notion of what it will cost me.
Kenny Duttweiler completely built the complete engine, he is one of the fairest engine builders I have ever worked with. All parts are individually listed and priced. Labor on my build was for the engine build, dyno time all as one. I believe his hourly charge is around $100 - $120 hr and I believe he spends a lot more hours than he invoices. It takes a lot of behind the sceen labor for specking, ordering and receiving all the parts, I do know that there is always a waiting list and always five or six ahead waiting to get built and dyno’ed. And with speed week in August Kenny has many engines that are used to propel the streamliner to 460 mph plus speeds. Every year records are continually beaten.

Not to be rude, but I am simply looking for how much he charged you to tune your engine? I am already in line and he is building my engine once he gets back from the Flats.

I simply would like to please know how much he charged you to dyno your engine, if that is not too intrusive.

Thank you Sir.

Not to be rude, but I am simply looking for how much he charged you to tune your engine? I am already in line and he is building my engine once he gets back from the Flats.

I simply would like to please know how much he charged you to dyno your engine, if that is not too intrusive.

Thank you Sir.
Sorry, my invoice did not have a break out for tuning, just a labor cost total. Also had a unique situation that required two setups on the dyno three months apart. I can not say everyone’s situation is the same. I do not mean to be allusive, although my situation and costs were unique. I do not care to go into details at this time, although I had a situation happen that was no fault of Kenny’s a new component failure that turned out to be very costly. We are still working with the manufacture to make things right. More info to come.