1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

hello; I saw the words bigger breaks and I thought about the PowerMaster. Did you say what brake setup your going with?
IBBY

So, good news is that I think we can make a full 2.5" dual exhaust exit through the watts-link. The bad news is the down pipe I got is a p.o.s and isnt bent right on top of them forgetting to weld the flange up correct. So I think we will have to either rebend or cut and adjust the down pipe or make a custom test tube. To make it work easiest with the new crossmember and have the least restriction I think its going to end up being the down pipe going under the knife. Ill try and get pictures tonight

So, I finished my final interior render and thought I would share it with you. Amazing what you can do in a few hours of slacking at work. Its not professional quality but it gives a good idea.

This is the image I started with

DSC_0013 (2).jpg

This is the render

rsz_final_int_render.jpg

The only difference is I will have dual gagues on my A-pillar, boost and fuel pressure. The carbon fiber look is whats called di-noc, its a 3m carbon fiber vinyl that is very nice and used on some very high end cars.

Here is an example on a Bently

168__x_bentley03_1.jpg

On the passenger side I mocked up a GM performance badge but I'm thinking of reusing the stock, the GM badge or a grand national badge, not sure yet.
images-25769543_large.jpg

The seats are black leather but they are actually GTO seats like these

2005-gto-picture.jpg

I already have them and they are red but Ill be recovering them after mock up, not sure about embroidery, maybe a black grand national logo or gunmetal grey to be barely noticeable.

The door panels will stay stock with leather uppers matching the seats and insert in the rear, they will be black as well. I'm recarpeting the lower and keeping the concert sound pods on them.

hello; How about posting where you got that POS DP. It's good to know things like that.
IBBY

I posted early on in the thread if someone were to care enough. I don't really feel like bashing a vendor, everyone has bad days I guess /shrug

I posted early on in the thread if someone were to care enough. I don't really feel like bashing a vendor, everyone has bad days I guess /shrug
hello; I don't think it's bashing if anyone tells there pros and cons about a product. How is a vendor going to improve. Of course there are bad days but it's a good thing to give opinions about aftermarket products good and bad.
Also I quickly went thru your posts and I see alot of red X and no pics. What's up with that?
IBBY

Hmmm... I was planning on buying a down-pipe from the same source along with their exhaust system. Please add more detail as to the problems with the piece.

Thanks
~JM~

My hosting on uploadit.org is down, someone hacked their site and its been down ever since. I gave the owner of the forum my new hosting information and he said he would switch it all, so far though.......

Anyways the down pipes first issue was that the sleeve holding the bearing for the puck wasn't welded in and shifted during shipping. Took quite awhile to figure this out with phone calls back and forth between the turbo manufacturer and the down pipe maker both saying it couldn't be their part. Either way we figured it out and got the puck centered and the sleeve tack welded in. Honestly it was an easy fix but it was an hour to figure it out. And if it wouldn't have been at a shop with a welder it would have been a bigger issue.

Now that it is installed on the turbo the down pipe doesn't line up with the rest of the exhaust. With the test pipe on there is a 5-6" gap between where the exhaust ends and the downpipe ends. I know its the downpipe again because the crossmember has a notch for the exhaust to fit under and the cat back rests there with room on both sides while the downpipe is nowhere near it. 20 degrees more bend when they made it and it would have lined up fine. We also took the old down pipe and elbow just to see and it lines up perfectly. We are fixing it now but still another couple hours worth of work and a wasted exhaust coating down the drain.....

Also there was quite a bit of welding mess on the inside of the downpipe and some overlap on the flange and the tube. Enough to where we all thought it needed to be ground down to make it smooth again. Not a huge issue but it was easy to get to and a large enough restriction to where I wanted it gone and sloppy enough to be dissapointed with fit and finish after paying what I paid.

Like I said I've heard enough good things on this forum about the part that I bought it. Unless you've heard multiple accounts I would let it slide knowing everyone has a bad day now and again. On the positive side the tech support was great and nonstop. They would have been willing to exchange, ship a new puck etc. They went on and off the phone with me for an hour with me emailing pictures trying to figure out the problem and they were completely in the dark which leads me to believe that it was an isolated incident.

You sir, are a good man!

D

My hosting on uploadit.org is down, someone hacked their site and its been down ever since. I gave the owner of the forum my new hosting information and he said he would switch it all, so far though.......

Anyways the down pipes first issue was that the sleeve holding the bearing for the puck wasn't welded in and shifted during shipping. Took quite awhile to figure this out with phone calls back and forth between the turbo manufacturer and the down pipe maker both saying it couldn't be their part. Either way we figured it out and got the puck centered and the sleeve tack welded in. Honestly it was an easy fix but it was an hour to figure it out. And if it wouldn't have been at a shop with a welder it would have been a bigger issue.

Now that it is installed on the turbo the down pipe doesn't line up with the rest of the exhaust. With the test pipe on there is a 5-6" gap between where the exhaust ends and the downpipe ends. I know its the downpipe again because the crossmember has a notch for the exhaust to fit under and the cat back rests there with room on both sides while the downpipe is nowhere near it. 20 degrees more bend when they made it and it would have lined up fine. We also took the old down pipe and elbow just to see and it lines up perfectly. We are fixing it now but still another couple hours worth of work and a wasted exhaust coating down the drain.....

Also there was quite a bit of welding mess on the inside of the downpipe and some overlap on the flange and the tube. Enough to where we all thought it needed to be ground down to make it smooth again. Not a huge issue but it was easy to get to and a large enough restriction to where I wanted it gone and sloppy enough to be dissapointed with fit and finish after paying what I paid.

Like I said I've heard enough good things on this forum about the part that I bought it. Unless you've heard multiple accounts I would let it slide knowing everyone has a bad day now and again. On the positive side the tech support was great and nonstop. They would have been willing to exchange, ship a new puck etc. They went on and off the phone with me for an hour with me emailing pictures trying to figure out the problem and they were completely in the dark which leads me to believe that it was an isolated incident.

very nice build, but 1 question, you are spending that kind of coin on a car & yet you are using those welfare Autometer gauges? there are much better & more accurate gauge options on the market.

hello; Back to the DP one last time as it was the correct thing to do with the vendor. Now there eyes will be open and there QC has something to work on. I called about buying a DP from RJC but it's on BO and there going to call me when ready. I have there exhaust. It sucks you would think something like a DP would be right on and too bad you had it coated as it looked super. Maybe there's a lesson to test fit aftermarket products and then plate,coat or whatever. As a matter of fact I was talking to RJC about selling there DP already coated as most people are going to do it anyway.
We'll see.
your car is going to be a great for show and go
you must be tasting being behind the wheel of a car that's been thru all that. Keep posting!
IBBY

You can load them directly to the site if you want so that none of the pics dissappear later also. I realized that if I put things on through photobucket they may end up missing so I started uploading directly so info wouldn't be missing if something happened later.:)

Now that it is installed on the turbo the down pipe doesn't line up with the rest of the exhaust. With the test pipe on there is a 5-6" gap between where the exhaust ends and the downpipe ends.
Dave,

You might just need a longer test pipe! I had a customer here who ordered a downpipe from I think Southeast performance (no exactly sure) but the downpipe had the exact same problem where there was a large gap at the test pipe...I called the place and they said that we must have a problem with the exhaust and that it wasn't their parts... I had a Terry Houston test pipe sitting here and low and behold it fit Perfectly! The test pipe they included with the downpipe was way too short and since then I have Never delt with that company again...

Scot W.

So, I finished my final interior render and thought I would share it with you. Amazing what you can do in a few hours of slacking at work. Its not professional quality but it gives a good idea.

This is the image I started with

View attachment 143209

This is the render

View attachment 143210

The only difference is I will have dual gagues on my A-pillar, boost and fuel pressure. The carbon fiber look is whats called di-noc, its a 3m carbon fiber vinyl that is very nice and used on some very high end cars.

Here is an example on a Bently

View attachment 143211

On the passenger side I mocked up a GM performance badge but I'm thinking of reusing the stock, the GM badge or a grand national badge, not sure yet.
View attachment 143212

The seats are black leather but they are actually GTO seats like these

View attachment 143213

I already have them and they are red but Ill be recovering them after mock up, not sure about embroidery, maybe a black grand national logo or gunmetal grey to be barely noticeable.

The door panels will stay stock with leather uppers matching the seats and insert in the rear, they will be black as well. I'm recarpeting the lower and keeping the concert sound pods on them.

This is an older thread where Carbon Fiber was used on the interior
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/343933-87-gn-24-000-mi-show-car.html

very nice build, but 1 question, you are spending that kind of coin on a car & yet you are using those welfare Autometer gauges? there are much better & more accurate gauge options on the market.

I've had Autometer in every car I've ever done and have never had one fail and have seen no accuracy discrepancies. The dash panel came from a member that had it in his car and it is pre wired for the GN. I stated from the beginning I have a budget whatever anyone else may think. If money wasn't an object I would get the all in one setup in Dale Earnheart Jr's 70's camaro and might update to that a few years from now.

You can load them directly to the site if you want so that none of the pics dissappear later also. I realized that if I put things on through photobucket they may end up missing so I started uploading directly so info wouldn't be missing if something happened later.:)

Thats what I do now but there is no way to edit an old link and upload it. I started this thread before that was an option. As of last night it looks like the hosting site is back up

Dave,

You might just need a longer test pipe! I had a customer here who ordered a downpipe from I think Southeast performance (no exactly sure) but the downpipe had the exact same problem where there was a large gap at the test pipe...I called the place and they said that we must have a problem with the exhaust and that it wasn't their parts... I had a Terry Houston test pipe sitting here and low and behold it fit Perfectly! The test pipe they included with the downpipe was way too short and since then I have Never delt with that company again...

Scot W.

Thanks Scot but its also at the incorrect angle. If the test pipe is longer it would try and go through the crossmember

Thanks Scot but its also at the incorrect angle. If the test pipe is longer it would try and go through the crossmember

You have to remember that the crossmember is intended for a V8 car with headers so you are going to run into some interference issues. As far as the downpipe not being up to standard - if I was the company in question and knowing the attention this build is getting I would be sending you a new one and PAYING to have my POS returned to me; along with issuing you an apology.

As far as the gauges go... who cares? You won't be able to read and process the information fast enough for their accuracy to matter. Your best bet is to tie in some pressure transducers into the oil and fuel system, plug them into a PowerLogger and call it a day. The best you get with gauges is that something went wrong, datalogging can at least show you trends leading up to potential failure.