1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

dsapper

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but it didn't really fit under restoration and there will be quite a few tech pictures. So here it goes...

I bought this car, a 60k mile unmolested 1987 GN a few months ago for 9000
061-vi.jpg
IMG_3519-vi.jpg
IMG_3519-vi.jpg
061-vi.jpg

Bone stock except for a hotwire kit and a new fuel pump. Not an ounce of rust and no accidents or body damage. After quite a bit of poking around on this forum and advice from a few people on here I've decided to get to work.

This is how the car sits today...

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

So apparently parts for these cars take FOREVER to ship and make but as of today they are all here, thanks to brian at gbody, full throttle, scot and sc&c for 99% of the parts.

The plan is this, the frame is currently being stripped down bare, braced, boxed and all holes are being filled. After that is done it, and a few truckload of parts will be sent to the powder coating place.

It truly will be a pro-touring car. I have the stage II plus setup from sc&c; spc lowers, veri-shocks, spc springs, 670 steering box and billet steering arm from detroit speed, sphon pro touring rear sway bar, helwig front sway bar, baer track 4 brakes with 13" rotors, 3 piece 18" wheels, watts link for the rear end, a nascar track ford 9" rear with currie upper and lower rear control arms.

For the engine I'm going with pure bolt-ons. Stock clean shortblock, champion aluminum heads, 6262 billet ball bearing turbo, razor alcohol injection, ported intake, plenum and tb, rjc pulleys, ta headers, rjc downpipe, cotton exhaust.

For the transmission I'm going to be swapping in the TCI 6x. Its a 4l80e based 6 speed transmission with paddle shifters.

All of this is on top of countless other parts and modifications. Ill keep this post updated and it should go pretty quick now that all the parts are here. There will be a two week lapse while the frame and parts are out being coated and the bottom of the car is at line-x but other than that Ill keep you guys up to date. Any suggestions or questions you have, shoot away!

Oh, ps. The goal of this is to be able to take my boss on the track (spring mountian in pahrump nv) with his 430 Ferrari, so Ill need all the help I can get.

Post lots of in-progress pics, and this will be an amazing thread. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Ill put as many pictures up as I can. I'm excited, this is the first time I've really gone hog wild on a car before. To be clear though I'm not doing the work, its being done by a hot rod shop in vegas called Hackers Hot rods. Nice guys that do some great work and its located about 2 minutes away from my work lol

Subscribed. That is going to be a mean machine. GN vs 430 at spring mountain! Sure hope there will be a video of that.

hello; You're going to have quite a ride there and I like to see your progress as it goes. Did you get to drive it much as is? I'm sure it's going to be 100% better when your done. Keep on postin. How about the engine any planes?
goodluck
IBBY

hello; You're going to have quite a ride there and I like to see your progress as it goes. Did you get to drive it much as is? I'm sure it's going to be 100% better when your done. Keep on postin. How about the engine any planes?
goodluck
IBBY

I drove it a couple of times then the head gasket went and one thing led to another....

Looks like a good solid platform to start with, sounds like you have a good plan and some reputable folks to help you out. The key to it is you did not start out with a pile of junk from the get go. That alone proberbly cut the cost of the build in half, as well as man hours.

look what showed up this morning!

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

I put my keys next to them for size but I can't tell you the WOW factor of massive 13" rotors haha.

Brakes are finally on their way!! :)

Let me know when you get them!

Thx!
So is the Proportioning valve bracket! ;) BTW, Nice looking project I can't wait to see it finished..
If you need anything else just give us a call...

Thanks Dave!
Scot W.

Ahh I forgot about the new wheels. I copied Scott quite a bit and went with the CCW classics in 18" with some nitto invo tires to finish them off. I went with a shot peened finish. You cant really tell in the picture but its almost like a fine line-x coating in metal, I can't describe it but it looks amazing!

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Damn, not wasting any time are you?? Keep the pics coming.Are you staying with stock suspension? When I was switching to the TRZ stuff, I couldn't believe the weight savings over stock.