1987 Original Long Block Engine with 27,000 Miles!

Good advice in my view.

While you are listening to the engine run, can you hear any oil leaks ;) ? No leaks: leave it alone for a while. Fix when necessary, some time in the future. Personally, I would plan on a rebuild soon and price it accordingly. :)
I AGREE 100% on the heads! Thats why I didn't remove them!!

Lee why a rebuild? i'm not really sure what you mean here but,

The engine was heard running BEFORE it was removed!
The heads WERE NOT removed!
The Intake was NOT removed!
The engine is running now and it runs PERFECT! It is the most quiet buick engine iv'e ever heard! Hands down! (might be the ZDDP!) :)

I just done what was listed above which is pretty much preventative maintenance anyway.

He has a Very nice smooth running car now! ;)

Scot W.

Looks like it belongs there.:biggrin:
Nice job. There was alot oil in the intercooler. Hell, I'ld just drive it with that new old engine. Check out the Jasper's special, anything worth saving put aside for another day.
Thank You! It runs Great! I'm just tieing up a few loose ends and then it's road time!!

New MAF is on the way!
New Denso o2 is on the way!
New A/C delco PCV is on the way!

And that should be about it for now.

Scot W.

Gauges

His gauges are done!

Why he like's Pink I don't know!! :biggrin:

J/K They can be changed...

OMG! Scott u phag! j/k Besides your favorite color you have them set to, why don't you like these gauges?

I bought this car on eBay (Starting to think that might have been my first mistake? Duh!) and by the third day the engine blew with less than 40 miles on the car. I was told basically it was all original. And it is mostly all orginal except the fact he forgot to mention the part of the original motor was rebuilt by Jasper engines.

Now, I had choices as I did some searching around to which direction I could have went with this project of rebuilding or replacing the engine. I learned some new things about this experience. I learned with my budget and my short patience was not a good idea for a rebuild! The idea of the possibility of having to wait on a machine shop for months and not knowing a basic idea of cost wasn't for me, especially not on such a low budget! So I got on here and started reading post. Learning who lived in my area. As a previous local well know mechanic told me I should do. He said to read and read some more and I will see how long it can take for a machine shop get to my engine. SO, I did and I learned enough also to whom was in my area and contacted Scott, who immediately found me a great used low mileage engine at a great price and had a dollar amount already thrown at me in just minutes for the project.

Tomorrow night will be the first time I have seen my car since Scott has put the engine in. Now I have been over to his house taking him parts and such during this process a few times now. So I have to say guys, Scott is a perfectionist when it comes to his work. He will come across at first to you as being hard headed, but No guys he isn't! He is just that confident in his knowledge of these cars! He amazed me with his detail work on my car each time I was over there especially with such a low budget I had to spend. I had my doubts, especially when he was able to throw a low dollar amount out at me. Each time I was there I seen how hard he worked on cleaning and painting this engine up. He did a great job with what he had to work with!

Scott I quickly learned takes more pride in his reputation, honesty, and his work than most any mechanic you will ever meet! He will extremely work with your budget! Almost like a long time friend just doing it to help you out! He will not sacrifice and try any short cuts! He also will not try to get you to buy things you do not need! He has learned enough about these cars now to make any size project turn out to be the best it can with your budget. I have learned the up most respect for him over it too. He will do his best to help find you the best prices and deals for parts he knows you will have to need. If anyone needs ANY work on their GN's in the Tennessee or Southeastern area, you should contact Scott. You will not find a more honest guy working on these cars like he can! With his understanding of my budget and basically his labor being so damn affordable (I might regret saying this because he may surprise me with some hitten charges! J/K) I was still able to buy a few mods with this project. Without Scott I would have had this bright shiny car sitting in my garage for months to come.

So at this point I want to thank Scott personally on here for what he has done. Now I can't speak for how this car will or does run quite yet. But there will be a post follow up on my car from me in the near future hopefully. If he will hurry up damnsit! He he he I also feel I have gained a true friend in this experience and not to mention a affordable and honest mechanic to keep the damn thing running for me for years to come.

Thank you Scott so very much!

I will also mention who I bought my parts from later and thank all of them! I will say every single part I bought was from supporters of this site!

Well Scott's pretty pink gauges didn't come from supporters of this site. Those I went out on a limb once again and bought them off of eBay! I know I just don't learn huh? I like them, but the pink has got to go!

Well Scott's pretty pink gauges didn't come from supporters of this site. Those I went out on a limb once again and bought them off of eBay! I know I just don't learn huh? I like them, but the pink has got to go!
LMAO, I knew I would draw you out of the woodwork with the gauges that color!! :biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words Bill! I just understood 100% where you were coming from when you called me for the first time and explained what happened to you and the car. When you mentioned to me that you couldn't afford a rebuild and didn't want to wait for it that only left me one option and that was to get you a nice known running engine. To your luck I happened to know right where one happened to be. I would like to also thank (Zeus1) for giving us the deal on the engine so this could all happen. :)

Hopefully I got one New Buick GN owner back on the road happy and enjoying his new car and possibly another participant at our Buick events.

Thats what it's all about!!

Scot W.

Legitly67's comments in post #44 are NOT one bit surprising. Knowing Scot as I do, this is just the kind of guy he is. Not one selfish bone in his body. Always bending over backwards to help fellow Turbo Regal guys in need. I still owe you for the 3bar MAP buddy. I don't get to go over and help out as much as I'd like to or get to the events, with this STUPID schedule I work. Maybe I'll get lucky someday and find a job that will free up my time.

Keep up the good work Scot, you deserve every KUDO you get. :cool:

I AGREE 100% on the heads! Thats why I didn't remove them!!

Lee why a rebuild? i'm not really sure what you mean here but,

The engine was heard running BEFORE it was removed!
The heads WERE NOT removed!
The Intake was NOT removed!
The engine is running now and it runs PERFECT! It is the most quiet buick engine iv'e ever heard! Hands down! (might be the ZDDP!) :)
I just done what was listed above which is pretty much preventative maintenance anyway.

He has a Very nice smooth running car now! ;)

Scot W.

Always hope for the best and prepare for the worst....That is all I meant to say. :)

scot w

what a buick wing nut , and a good guy ,did you paint the bumpers? just kidding still ,i should has given you the puppy that day at my house,happy thanksgiving!!!!!!!

Yes! Made by (Micro Tech).

I already mentioned to him he the minute the car got here that he needs to get a Orriginal stock MAF but right now he's on a budget,,,

Scot W.

WOW what kind of budget would DO EVERYTHING that you're/he's doing/done--& stop w-a-a-y short by not doing a $80-100 item!?!? :eek: :confused:

WOW what kind of budget would DO EVERYTHING that you're/he's doing/done--& stop w-a-a-y short by not doing a $80-100 item!?!? :eek: :confused:
He brought over a new (reman) MAF and a new denso o2 the other night. We also took the car out for a drive and it runs & drives Great! ;)

Scot W.

He brought over a new (reman) MAF and a new denso o2 the other night. We also took the car out for a drive and it runs & drives Great! ;)

Scot W.

"GREAT Scot"--thank God--That's Cool--I thought there for a moment y'all had totally lost-it! Good job & pls let us know the total "budget monies" expended...:cool:

Glad your team went for the do-it-once--do-it-right approach (& had the budget monies to see it thru to a logical conclusion...). Monte

gauges

hey bill where the hell did you get them pretty pink gauges?:eek: when i meet you i didnt know you was turned that way:biggrin:

Went over to see Scot today, and "browse" at the car he's working on. Pretty amazing the attention to detail under the hood!! All new vacuum lines, etc. etc.!! I checked a few things out on the tune for him. Got the IAC and TPS spec'd, and everything else on the Scanmaster look fantastic.
Engine sounds perfect, and pulls great vacuum (19inHg).

Great work Scot!!

Went over to see Scot today, and "browse" at the car he's working on. Pretty amazing the attention to detail under the hood!! All new vacuum lines, etc. etc.!! I checked a few things out on the tune for him. Got the IAC and TPS spec'd, and everything else on the Scanmaster look fantastic.
Engine sounds perfect, and pulls great vacuum (19inHg).

Great work Scot!!
Thanks Dave!

Everything turned out great on the car and it's now cleaned up, dialed in and ready for him to pick it up.

It's set safe for now while he logs some mileage and when the weather is better we will be at the track to dial it in better..

Blue "Taylor 409" wires would top it off!! ;)

(Finished pic's)

Scot W.

Grudge match?

You guy's might as well count me in on this race too!! :biggrin:

I already know the time I have to beat and it's not going to be easy...

Scot W.