1980 Turbo Lesabre, turbo problem

Skip

Hi, new to the forum! I found a '80 sport coupe that I'm considering buying. Only problem is that the owner doesn't hear the turbo spool up or feel any rush of power nor do the turbo lights come on. Besides the turbo being burnt up, what could it be? The car is several hundred miles away so can't really see or hear for myself. I know these cars weren't rockets but you should still be able to hear the turbo. Any help would be appreciated before I get into something too much. Thanks...

Hi, welcome to the forum. It's hard to diagnose a car long distance. The 80 models were not that powerful so you won't feel a rush of power, it's not there. A correct working and set up car should have a smooth steady increase. It's also unlikely that you would really hear a stock turbo spool at the lower boost levels they run. As far as the lights not working, could be as simple as bad bulbs or vacuum lines. On the other hand on an almost 35 year old car the chances are good the turbo could be seized. Either way, until someone that knows puts their hands on the car it's all speculation. Give the location of the car and any board member near by might be able to take a look for you.

You shouldn't hear anything. A boost gauge will verify the turbo is pressurizing the intake manifold

Yea I have to give an answer tonight or I'd have someone who was close look at it. Never drove one to know if when you hit you feel it pull or it's just a steady build up, I know there not a GN or anything. Never had an early turbo, brother had had '84 T-Type and when you hit it it sound like a police siren starting up and then my '87 GN, '87 Turbo limited.
It's a cool Sport Coupe car, Cool color and I always loved the oddball Buick turbos. Are parts for this very hard to get? Mostly the engine and turbo items? Thanks again for the help!

I remember my folks 79 Regal sport coupe.. Best way to tell was that if you floored it quick, it was a huge boost lag then a whole bunch of racket under the hood. Never a wooosh or whistle sound but enough noise to know that it wasn't just a plain ol' V6 . I thought it was fun at the time. It was when you were smooth and gradual with puting the gas down that car seemed to pickup strong which definately felt stronger than the 5.0 V8's they offered back then!

Thanks for the help/info guys. I bought the car after he confirmed the turbo was working. Just bought it cause you don't see these at all and something different. Hopefully parts, etc won't be too hard to get and this isn't more trouble then it's worth. Does have rust in the door jambs and some underneath but we 'll see what we can do with it.
Thanks again!