12-13-12 Cause,Effect,Solutions? TDC moved

If it runs without advance and not on all cylinders then you have at least 2 problems there and they probably arent related. I had an xfi chit out on me and would not go into est bypass. I was able to get it to run and idle and drive but the timing was stuck at baseline. Comp couldnt explain why only that it needed a new board. Needless to say i was very pissed that i had less than 50hrs on the box and it did this costing me $800. I actually had sent the box back to them twice for this. The first time they missed it. The second time i talked to the tech. It appeared to only be an issue in the Buick sfi mode.

Thank you for replying..

That's what i'm thinking. XFI just had this box for the 2.0 update an traction control update,It's brand new so i done Everything an bought everything else 1/2 way related to try an fix the problem but the Box...Just my luck it probably got shipped to hard an banged around. Or. you won't believe this, but when i did the slalom test, my out handled the XFI circuitry?, i did set my Q1A's to stiff in the back on one road test, the back end bounced ,heh,Between your wheelieing an my stiff handling set-up, i guess the XFI unit's need to be mounted in a Pillow... I don't know, i wait on Cal again...Its new box or new camshft,dang sure wanting to try box first..

Thank you for replying..

That's what i'm thinking. XFI just had this box for the 2.0 update an traction control update,It's brand new so i done Everything an bought everything else 1/2 way related to try an fix the problem but the Box...Just my luck it probably got shipped to hard an banged around. Or. you won't believe this, but when i did the slalom test, my out handled the XFI circuitry?, i did set my Q1A's to stiff in the back on one road test, the back end bounced ,heh,Between your wheelieing an my stiff handling set-up, i guess the XFI unit's need to be mounted in a Pillow... I don't know, i wait on Cal again...Its new box or new camshft,dang sure wanting to try box first..
There is no way the g force would do this. Id be willing to bet the unit sees 10 times more instant g force in transit than it will ever see in a car unless it hits a brick wall or another car head on. Its a solid state electronic component and is subject to failure like anything else.

Try a stock ECM and see if it runs

That's a total last resort,Cars wired for XFI,an it's in the glove box,I'd have to add a MAF back to it to.But i have one,good thing it's quad air box,the chips an extender for 72lbs inj.,sold the translator while ago...

As of now,Box is at F.A.S.T. There hooking it to Buick there. (It should Backfire that motor too...) If it's not the box, it's the Comp-Cam, it'll go back next if thats the case...I hurry up an wait now.....

HelloBozos said:
That's a total last resort,Cars wired for XFI,an it's in the glove box,I'd have to add a MAF back to it to.But i have one,good thing it's quad air box,the chips an extender for 72lbs inj.,sold the translator while ago...

As of now,Box is at F.A.S.T. There hooking it to Buick there. (It should Backfire that motor too...) If it's not the box, it's the Comp-Cam, it'll go back next if thats the case...I hurry up an wait now.....

You already did a cranking compression test. Why would you think it's the cam?

You already did a cranking compression test. Why would you think it's the cam?

I've broke the end off one once already. The car even ran! but was to much tapping at the front of the motor,In 45 minutes it was out on the stand,pulled the front cover,i hate being laymen in these cases, but the cam broke at the key-way area an was slightly twisted.How it still ran was amazing, Once off the timing set the end fell off... Comp-Cams replaced it.it was fresh build with only dyno passes on it. If it's not the XFI box now,(overnighted it out yesterday)only other thing i could of done,twist the end of another comp-cam kit. or sheared it's key.

HelloBozos said:
I've broke the end off one once already. The car even ran! but was to much tapping at the front of the motor,In 45 minutes it was out on the stand,pulled the front cover,i hate being laymen in these cases, but the cam broke at the key-way area an was slightly twisted.How it still ran was amazing, Once off the timing set the end fell off... Comp-Cams replaced it.it was fresh build with only dyno passes on it. If it's not the XFI box now,(overnighted it out yesterday)only other thing i could of done,twist the end of another comp-cam kit. or sheared it's key.

If the cranking compression is about the same on all cylinders and the valves are opening and closing it's not the cam. Post pics of sheared cam. If it broke the end of the cam off it ran without oil pressure.

I'm still trying to figure out how we got here from TDC not matching with the pointer...

I'm still trying to figure out how we got here from TDC not matching with the pointer...

The Motor won't/wouldn't with Cal on the lap-top advance.So we slapped a light on it an tried manually,got the car to idel on it's own, But at 500rpm an not on all the cylinders. So i either can't get it back to normal because motor fell out of timing or just the XFI is goobering up. I'm going to find the cause soon. Got it narrowed down to 2 things...as for the thread title,that's the point i was at last week.If this just all turns out to be the XFI, feel free to move the thread to ECM upgrades.

Jury's still out...Box's been at F.A.S.T. for while now. I guess now that everyones come out the Bunkers,Gave Gifts, an brought in the New Year i can get my problem sorted out. Called F.A.S.T ,they said there coming up with a speacil way to test it an would call me back today..Back to hurrying up an waiting again...8^/

This glitch is a real pain/pin in the arse...I've replaced "all" the sensor's,coil pack Ign.module, Checked compression (all at or just over 150),harmonic balancer/ring,cam sensor ring,ran through as much senor wiring as could be had. Had Julio from Alky Systems out, Had Cal out from Hartline perf. out. Now i've sent the XFI back to F.A.S.T. The issue is no communication from XFI to the IGN. Module for advancing. If the box's circuitreys good, It has to be a harness issue somewhere. I've spent $2000 trying to find the problem,an i'm almost there....I should find out Monday if the Box is good,F.A.S.T was hooking it to a Buick GN they have there Yesterday. Out of everything that can cause this issue i have it down to XFI box (bad circuit) ,Harness issue (pin 15),or Cam key-way issue (twisted the cam)....The Cam will be the last on the list (in that case, i'll be yanking the motor....) I await word....

12-12-12  (6).JPG

HelloBozos said:
This glitch is a real pain/pin in the arse...I've replaced "all" the sensor's,coil pack Ign.module, Checked compression (all at or just over 150),harmonic balancer/ring,cam sensor ring,ran through as much senor wiring as could be had. Had Julio from Alky Systems out, Had Cal out from Hartline perf. out. Now i've sent the XFI back to F.A.S.T. The issue is no communication from XFI to the IGN. Module for advancing. If the box's circuitreys good, It has to be a harness issue somewhere. I've spent $2000 trying to find the problem,an i'm almost there....I should find out Monday if the Box is good,F.A.S.T was hooking it to a Buick GN they have there Yesterday. Out of everything that can cause this issue i have it down to XFI box (bad circuit) ,Harness issue (pin 15),or Cam key-way issue (twisted the cam)....The Cam will be the last on the list (in that case, i'll be yanking the motor....) I await word....

By any chance did you try a known good box in your car? Be ready for them to tell you the board is shot and $800 to fix.

By any chance did you try a known good box in your car? Be ready for them to tell you the board is shot and $800 to fix.

Just off the phone with FAST. They can't hook my 2.0 box to there car " Because there car has a short in the wiring somewhere"....Amagin that!

There shipping me a supposed working 2.0 box to try,but keeping mine for now. I'm FAST's genie pig car,I told them you had issues too but there oblivious.

My take on this is there new black box 2.0's are flawed,I haven't read any problems like i got with the red box's, file updated 2.0 updates.

did u check the connection at pin A15 on your harness?

Everything been checked in the wiring front to back at least 3 times now....No Issues...

Mine wasn't a 2.0. It was an intelligent box though.

Ok, plan B, FAST called me back yesterday an is sending My box back, They found a setting of 12* in the Coolent Temp -vs- Spark Offset an told me with that type of setting, It throws off a buntch of other things off Bad. I've told them me an Cal Hartline tried accessing the box but it wouldn't complie peroid. So i'll get it in today an try again with FAST's settings....Still trying to catch Cal for third visit with spare Box..

So it was adding 12* to your base timing?

I was right in the middle of recycling my 500 gallon Piranha tank when F.A.S.T called me back, i can't recall if it was positive or negative, i bet Negative since thats how the car was acting. I have an appointment with Cal again tomorrow afternoon so when i actually have the box hooked-up an Reading it, i'll know. The guy at F.A.S.T. started rattling off all kinds of bad settings because the first. I'll post the findings. I will not post my tune though...;^) That stays between me an Cal. If we can't get the car running using two differant box's, I'll be inspecting the Camshft next..8^(

My Fishie Fishies...
IMG_3478.JPG
3 Red Bellie Pacu,8 year olds...