110 volt mig welders

Sal Lubrano

I am in the market for a mig welder would like a 110volt unit because it can be taken anywhere for small repairs. Is a 110 volt 130amp unit enough to weld anything on our cars? Such as Frame work or will i need a 220 unit?They are avertised to weld up to 3/16 steel but I don't always belive ads. Also is a Clarke brand one I can buy parts for locally? Or do I have to get a Miller or lincoln?
Thanks

Welder

Sal, I run a welding supply store in CT and I always recommend a name brand unit. They cost more but you get what you pay for. I sell most major brands but I have come to the conclusion that Lincoln makes the best 110 and 220 migs.,Miller makes the best engine drives and Esab has the best Plasma cutters. Lincoln has the Powermig 140 that is great little machine.I sell them for about 565 and the spoolgun runs another 225. Welds up to 5/16 and also has a spoolgun option for aluminum or stainless. It runs circles around the millers and the no name brands. Comes set up to run gas or without gas(minus the bottle).Customer service is great and any welding repair shop will deal with lincolns for warranty work. The best prices are online at places like cyberweld and weldingmart.com Do not buy the Home depot models. These are hobby machines and allthough the look like the ones that welding supply stores sell they are different. They are cheapened to meet a certain price point for certain retailers. Welding supply shops will usually only carry the industrial versions of the machines. Case in point the Home Depot Weld Pak HD. It looks the same as the SP-135 but has no interchangable internal parts. It is 200 dollars cheaper though. If you are planning to use this a lot ,spend the money and get something that is proven and has a huge support system in place to back it up. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, AJ

I have a Lincoln SP 135 that works great. It has the gas kit so I can use regular wire with a sheilding gas. It is great for hanging body panels and doing thin stuff. If you are welding outside with the wind blowing you want to use the flux core wire instead of the gas sheild. The flux core will weld a little thicker material as well. I have welded 3/8" with the gas sheilding with no problems. You can also heat thicker parts to be welded with a torch to get a better weld. I do have a 220 Volt Lincoln but don't use it much.

Jim

Sal, I run a welding supply store in CT and I always recommend a name brand unit. They cost more but you get what you pay for. I sell most major brands but I have come to the conclusion that Lincoln makes the best 110 and 220 migs.,Miller makes the best engine drives and Esab has the best Plasma cutters. Lincoln has the Powermig 140 that is great little machine.I sell them for about 565 and the spoolgun runs another 225. Welds up to 5/16 and also has a spoolgun option for aluminum or stainless. It runs circles around the millers and the no name brands. Comes set up to run gas or without gas(minus the bottle).Customer service is great and any welding repair shop will deal with lincolns for warranty work. The best prices are online at places like cyberweld and weldingmart.com Do not buy the Home depot models. These are hobby machines and allthough the look like the ones that welding supply stores sell they are different. They are cheapened to meet a certain price point for certain retailers. Welding supply shops will usually only carry the industrial versions of the machines. Case in point the Home Depot Weld Pak HD. It looks the same as the SP-135 but has no interchangable internal parts. It is 200 dollars cheaper though. If you are planning to use this a lot ,spend the money and get something that is proven and has a huge support system in place to back it up. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, AJ

X2
I have the Lincoln 140c with the aluminum spool gun and love it. The aluminun spool gun is a little tricky to get working right right but for mild steel I can do anything I need too with it including rollbars.
If I had the money and was going to buy another it would be a tig welder.

One more question please. Will This Lincoln 140c be enough to weld car frames? Also what is the difference between the 140T and 140C.
Thank You

AJ
Thats some good info there. You just saved me from making a big mistake. I have a TIG set up already(Thermal Arc 185) Now im looking for a decent little mig.

I'd look at the Lincoln 135 Plus. It has infinite heat and wire speed controls, where others are "clik stop" types. This allows you to do "fine tuning" to weld really thin sheetmetal.

i have had my sp135 since the day it came out. I used it on welding a rollbar, and all my other welding projects. great on welding sheet metal. Lincoln makes a good machine. i was not aware of the 140c. I would like to upgrade mine to that!

One more question please. Will This Lincoln 140c be enough to weld car frames? Also what is the difference between the 140T and 140C.
Thank You

Yes, I have done rollbars but you are getting to it's limits. The difference between the two are C stands for continous which means you have more control over heat and wire speed. It's worth the extra few dollars.