mig wire

Sal Lubrano

I have a 120volt 135amp lincoln mig welder with gas (Not flux-core). I believe they claim up to 1/4'' with gas and 5/16 with flux-core. My friend gave me some .025 wire to play with but it is too thin for anything heavier than sheetmetal. I was looking around and I noticed there is a .030 and a .035. If you had my machine which one would you purchase the 30 or 35.

Make sure whichever you go with to get the right sized tip insert.

I think .035 is a good all around wire. No sheetmetal though.

.030 is all you need for most jobs on a car including fabricating a cage.

This statement scares me. I have seen TERRIBLE welds from a 110v MIG welder on cages.:eek: I would NEVER recommend that a person weld a cage (or any chassis welding) with a 110v MIG. That is really a job for a 220v MIG. Frame notching, maybe, but it is really gonna weeze if welded correctly with needed penetration. Please don't mess aroud with this. It IS your life at stake here. Don't do it! 110v MIGs work great for sheetmetal, but not good for chassis final wleding. Tack and TIG, is the best method. But you don't have to liten to me. Listen to your kids, though.;)
Stitch welding, done correctly, will work, but you really need to know what you are doing.

.030" is a good middle ground for wire diameter for a 110v MIG. I would like to own a 110v MIG for thin stuff.

My new MM211 110/220v does outstanding penetration on 1/4" material on 110 setting.....I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It is a pretty hot powerplant though....

This statement scares me. I have seen TERRIBLE welds from a 110v MIG welder on cages.:eek: I would NEVER recommend that a person weld a cage (or any chassis welding) with a 110v MIG. That is really a job for a 220v MIG. Frame notching, maybe, but it is really gonna weeze if welded correctly with needed penetration. Please don't mess aroud with this. It IS your life at stake here. Don't do it! 110v MIGs work great for sheetmetal, but not good for chassis final wleding. Tack and TIG, is the best method. But you don't have to liten to me. Listen to your kids, though.;)
Stitch welding, done correctly, will work, but you really need to know what you are doing.

.030" is a good middle ground for wire diameter for a 110v MIG. I would like to own a 110v MIG for thin stuff.

I was only refering to size of wire not the welder. I was not suggesting he weld a cage with a 110v MIG. I was stating that .030 is the size of wire that when used on a proper welder can be used cage fabrication so there is no need to consider a bigger wire.

My new MM211 110/220v does outstanding penetration on 1/4" material on 110 setting.....I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It is a pretty hot powerplant though....

hmmm.... tubing for Cages is only half that thick. :eek: