11.5 ET 200 times a year

hensleyt

Can I build a engine that can do this without being a ticking time-bomb ?
And last the next five years .

WOOPS can a engine be built to go 11.5 200 times a year .I tried no such luck
I have a new stage 2 tranny

Sure it can. Just build it like mine. Then run about 8 lbs of boost. And then you can drive it to and from the track as well.

I bracket/grudge race mine spring to fall with alky at 11.5 at 22 PSI on a 1.7x launch with the build in my sig. At the end of the year I turn the wick up and see how fast I can get it to run in the 1/8th with race gas.

My biggest problem trying to achieve a goal like that were small things that got in the way. Flattening a lifter, bending a pushrod that fell into the motor, sucking up a squirrel, turbo rebuild, injectors flowed and purchasing other for balance, blowing up my torque converter when I didn't shift the car out of second, the engine itself will be fine, watch out for the supporting parts that you skimp on or have been in service awhile. Human error plays a stupid part in the equation also.

Im over the 10K mark with this build.I have put three sets of mains in this thing .
I have been over this engine with a fine tooth comb .completely disassemble thoroughly clean and reassemble only to do it again .
I have been through the trans cooler pressures Good ,converter fit good,crank and block look good.
Tune I dont know ,its a 6.1 TT Alky chip untouched ,Alky controller set at 6 , boost only 20lb ,ET 12.0 MPH 112 not pushing it,leave soft go WFO
I have gotten KR when it hits the rev limiter (5800) and only 5 times it has done that ,,its never lean and the rod bearings is a little hurt buy contamination but OK(I still change them)head gasket not hurt,plugs look good ,not lean no detonation good heat range ,I use Valvoline 10-30 racing ,no engine cooler ,no trash from there
Im ready to through this thing away and buy a new short-block from someone I'm just afraid to repeat my problem and do it again
If 5K+ short block would make this go away id spend it.Its the not knowing that terrifies me .I chose 11.5 ET to keep it fun at the track and have nice Sunday drives with my wife around the island

Please don't get discouraged. It is definately possible. Did it many years ago, as well as others. Stock rotating assembly, with a girdle. Iron heads, best of 10:28, over 500 passes. Pulled it out after a decade of use, sitting in my shop on a motor stand.
If everything is straight, round, and the clearances are correct it will live. Tune has to be correct as well.

E85 available? My wife's car runs 11.70's without any problems. It's a stocker with a TA49. Great fuel really helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 198
No e 85
I've got agood rotating ass. .002 on mains
Bloke was line bored with 3 steel caps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
No e 85
I've got agood rotating ass. .002 on mains
Bloke was line bored with 3 steel caps
Just because the block was line bored with steel caps doesn't mean it was done right. I would get that block measured by a buick guy who knows these engines before you put another set of bearings in it.

200 is a little zealous more like 60 that's what I did the first year I started racing it
I'm in Hawaii its not that easy this is why I'm looking at buying a short block from a well known builder ,I'm sure his will be right Im just worried my tune is the problem( I dont think so)what im missing I just cant figure out
My rotating ass cam from a supper guy and shipping back and forth is tricky and $$$$
I think Im looking for reassurance that these little 6 can live at 11.5

200 is a little zealous more like 60 that's what I did the first year I started racing it
I'm in Hawaii its not that easy this is why I'm looking at buying a short block from a well known builder ,I'm sure his will be right Im just worried my tune is the problem( I dont think so)what im missing I just cant figure out
My rotating ass cam from a supper guy and shipping back and forth is tricky and $$$$
I think Im looking for reassurance that these little 6 can live at 11.5

Any well built or healthy factory stock Buick V6 will live for very many passes in the 11's. If it doesn't then it's all the mistakes we are all sure to make from time to time.

Mistakes, malfunctioning supporting components, and bad tunes will blow up any motor. No matter how well it's built.

If it's built right, You have your reassurance.

Tune I dont know ,its a 6.1 TT Alky chip untouched ,Alky controller set at 6
not to bust your chops but this is very important you need to know.what afr and timing are you running?have you verified fuel pressure and alky fuel pressure?volts to pump?