10's on unopened longblock & 93/meth

achalmersman

Well I achieved my personal goal today 1st and only run of the day. I ran a 10.99 @ 121.89 on my unopened long block with 93 / meth & the same used drag radials I run on the street, full weight t-top car. Special thanks to Bison whom I finally met in person this weekend and helped me install one of his 3.5 bar MAP sensors as well as verify my base timing.

I ran an 11.07 yesterday so today we sucked out 7 quarts of Dex VI and put in 7 quarts of JD Hy-Gard. Tightened up my PTC about 150 rpm. Unfortunately my 17 blade PTC is just way too loose for a stock head / cam combo. The RPM log looks like a pancake. The range for the entire run is pretty much 4950 to 5150 crossing the beams at 5050 in 4th. Im also out of fuel because injector duty cycle was around 100% and my walbro 255 is not keeping up. Its about 11-12 psi from where it should be at max boost (thank God for WB correction). Needless to say when I reached my goal I quit. No sense risking it once I met my goal just to go a little faster

Not sure what my plans are. I may throw in a DW300 to get through the year as I have some friends that want to do a track day in October. I may just do the DP racetronix setup / dual feed rails and get it done with since I was planning to do that this winter and need it for the next stage of progress. I have race ported TA SE heads and will be getting a cam from Bison so the fuel issue definitely needs addressed.

If I wanted to push the unopened long block further with the 93 / meth limitation I know it could be done. Things that need improved : I need more seat time / practice with launching / 2-step, etc. Tune needs work. I'm using a TT 6.1 chip that was not burned for this combo being pushed this hard as well as the fact that I am self taught and learning as I go. I need more fuel pump and injectors, and I really think if this converter kept my rpms in the 4700-4900 range there would be a bit of gain. I am not going to change the converter, but I may try to get a higher exchange rate of Hy-Gard in order to lower flash stall some more. I'm hoping this converter will compliment my new combo with roller cam / ported heads when operated in a higher RPM range.

Even if I don't run the car more as an unopened longblock combo I am happy. I accomplished a personal goal I had set for myself and it was fun. Again, special thanks to Brian / Bison. Great guy and great vendor! Also thanks to my father which provides a shop for me to work on my junk and help when needed. He may be joining the forum soon he is slowly but surely getting hooked

Attachments

• Time Slip.jpg
    Time Slip.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
pretty nasty for a stock long block.
I bet it is a good feeling to lay down a ten.
It was great! It's as barely of a 10 as you can get, but its exactly what I've been saying "I just want a 10.99" lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

First off CONGRATs!!! Definitely helps to be close to someone with that much knowledge... I wish I could be an apprentice and just soak up some knowledge from RC, Brian and Otto... Did Brian mention what ratio tractor fluid to ATF? And was it used solely to bring down stall RPMs? I've used tractor fluid before - just not the John Deere stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First off CONGRATs!!! Definitely helps to be close to someone with that much knowledge... I wish I could be an apprentice and just soak up some knowledge from RC, Brian and Otto... Did Brian mention what ratio tractor fluid to ATF? And was it used solely to bring down stall RPMs? I've used tractor fluid before - just not the John Deere stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I dont want to speak for him but I will say he knew my problem of too high flash stall, and said I could try the Hy-Gard. Thats what I did and just sucked all I could out of the pan which was 7 quarts. I used John Deere brand Hy-Gard NOT the low viscosity hy-gard. His advice may have been unique to my situation again I dont want to speak for him but wanted to give him credit for suggestion. I have seen in the past and searches that lots have done this before. I never wanted to try it because I was scared. I will say I hit my TR6 rev limiter during the 2-3 shift which caused a short blip of false knock. That has never happened before. I'm hoping that it was a fluke, or is because I didnt run through all the gears after draining the pan before going WOT???? Either way I felt something I wasnt aure about during the run, and the log shows the instant jump to 5600 at the 2-3 shift immediately followed by the blip of KR. I'm pretty confident it was my 5600 TR6 rev limit but why the trans did that I dont know.

And yes, it was soley used to bring down my flash RPM.

Last edited:
Raise the rev limit to an rpm you will never hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raise the rev limit to an rpm you will never hit

Ok I will but I've never hit that RPM before. It went from 5150ish straight to 5650 in the shift. Ill be sending you the log sir for constructive criticism ;)

Great job! If you were hitting 100%dc, then the pump must be having problems (or something in the pump system). The 60lb injectors are plenty big enough.

Feels good to break 10's. :)

Great job! If you were hitting 100%dc, then the pump must be having problems (or something in the pump system). The 60lb injectors are plenty big enough.

Feels good to break 10's. :)
Keep in mind the manifold pressures needed to run 10's work against the pump. Base pressure at 43 and 35psi you are asking a lot of the pump. They seem to drop off volume big time at high pressures

Yea and it was evident by the log the pump is out of breath. Crossing traps at 36 PSI manifold pressure and 67psi fuel pressure. TT6.1 BLM at 141 and inj dc 96%

Congratulations! What do you weigh in at?

Yea and it was evident by the log the pump is out of breath. Crossing traps at 36 PSI manifold pressure and 67psi fuel pressure. TT6.1 BLM at 141 and inj dc 96%

Congratulations on reaching your goal! Which turbo and intercooler are you using?

Congratulations! What do you weigh in at?
I need to weigh it. I weight once and I think it was right around 3550 but I cant remember. Its a full weight fully optioned t-top car with AC / steel bumpers, etc. Only difference is no spare tire, and I have aluminum reproduction gbody wheels, no front sway bar, but solid lowers in back, adjustable uppers, and HR bar

Last edited:
Congratulations on reaching your goal! Which turbo and intercooler are you using?
Thanks! Current turbo is a gen 2 6266 and intercooler is a RJC 315xtf. When I am ready to fully realize the power of the new heads whenever I install them I will be getting a MFS 6766 from Bison unless something changes and he changes his recommendation

Last edited: