2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Well back in 90-92 thats ALL there was for DSM's.. Did not have much a choice.. The cars were new and NO ONE had anything but HK$..

Originally posted by SyHopeful
Well that's the problem, you don't need to pay out the ass for all that HKS crap!

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Well back in 90-92 thats ALL there was for DSM's.. Did not have much a choice.. The cars were new and NO ONE had anything but HK$..

True...but all go-fast parts for new platforms are expensive. All they need are a few years on the tracks ;)

I have to say that I am dissapointed in what I am seeing here. I am on many automotive boards, and through most the GN gets much respect, much of it from inport boards.

Here I see such ignorance as blaming the mismanagment of a city on Japan. IN a car to car comparison the STi is 10x the GN is. Is stock for the GN might eek out a high 13's, but lets not ask it to stop or turn. lets also forget about any kind of poor driving surface. The facts are that the STi is a great all around car, it does eerything well, The are plenty of STi's running serious 1/4 miles now, and with new eng managment coming out they'll just get faster.

They have already cracked into the 9's with a little 4 banger in a car that is very much NOT a 1/4 mile car. There are plenty of high 11 low 12 second STi's running around as daily drivers. Thats with a car whos potentional has yet to be tapped.

I think that any car that can run low 12's turn, stop and carry a family is pretty darn good in my book.

^^^ I totally agree with you. But be prepared the flaming is building up (quiet before the storm).

Nick

Yea I don't get it.... the whole world knows how good the EVO and STi are... most people give mega respect to GN's most boards talk about how you "don't even mess with a GN"

Then I see here a bunch of "redneck trash talk". Yea Subaru put your town out of business. Try talking to GM about that one, as your families jobs are filed in Mexico...

coughIQCHECKcough

People don't know what to say when I say that my '04 sooby wagon WRX is my beater, my Z06 is just my vette (BTW- everyone should buy a vette when they are 24), and the Buick is my FAST car (with a sinister grin of course)...

My first car I bought after college and getting my first job, is my current 87 Turbo T. Dropped more than 20 grand into it and went 11's at 17 psi boost on drag radials (no slicks yet). Then got my Quicksilver 2001 Z06. Frickin fast and it had a 6 speed, 'nuf said. Then I moved to Colorado and live at 7500 ft. Naturally, I bought an '04 WRX as a beater. Now all three have to play nice with each other in the garage...Discrimiate if you want, I don't care. Rice is rice, but why not build a collection and drive them all for what they are. I have 35,000 miles on the Z06, 10,000 miles on the sooby...and hopefully I'll be able to afford to buy more cars before I get married and have to buy a house, oh, except Mustangs of course, I hate Mustangs, except for some late 60's vintage race cars (Shelbys 'n' such), those are cool. Don't hate the STi, instead, hate the sumbich that can't drive the STi and give you a good race.

If I were rich I might have a lil collection too... :(

I'll have to live with a soon to be 12 second econobox and get my GN in a couple years. Then save for my 993 Porsche.

Rich has nothing to do with how many cars you own. It is how much you want something and make it happen.

I think I can, I think I can....

Damn, still have a house payment, 3 kids and college savings. Wait....

OK, spin in a circle while clicking my (fake) ruby-encrusted, steel-toed safety boots.... I wish, I wish, I wish...

POP!

Hmm, a new garbage disposal and a can of primer. Maybe it's working a bit. Need to tune up my wishing. Oh, crap, now I'm in Kansas! Musta mumbled a bit.

J

DISCLAIMER: This was not a real incident. I am not a husband nor a father, but I play one on the Internet. Professional driver on a closed course. Don't run with scissors.

Originally posted by TurboTnZ06
Rich has nothing to do with how many cars you own. It is how much you want something and make it happen.

I love this quote

I honestly can't relate to people being so closed minded to the next generation of cars. I love the Buick above all, but ya gotta give the lil 4 bangers pushin 300 hp some credit!

I'm actually considering buyin a SRT-4 (at least it not an import) for runnin my sales calls since its cheep(20K fully loaded), quick (not fast) and gets decent mpg (30). I feel bad puttin the miles on the Black Beauty.

I'm sure when Buick introduced the LC2 3.8 Turbo there were die hards talkin smack bout "technology today" and how "ya can't work on your own car any more!". "Gimme a Big Block n e day of the week ... keep this computer stuff to yourself!"

Well times changed then and are changin now ... best get used to it!

I'm jus kinda pissed that ya HAVE to mod the buicks now to keep up! Heh heh eh .... twist my arm :D

"Rich has nothing to do with how many cars you own. It is how much you want something and make it happen."

Oh okay.... hmmm someone has no "real" responsibilities yet.

Oh okay.... hmmm someone has no "real" responsibilities yet.

True story. After I got the vette, I ate more Ramen noodles in 6 months that I did during the 4 years I went through college.

Still. Soobies are good for what they do. Which is why I like the little cars.

Hey hey , just to add a few comments of my own. I too, own an 87 GN ...... but just recently purchased a silver 04 WRX STi. The car is crazy, for a 4 banger with large spoiler, it's easily false impression of a ricer. But I think most of you ignorant ones out there -- keep in mind, no need for jackasses who stereotype the whole import scene, yet have no idea how far ahead of American technology they really are LOL ...or simply just have no idea what it's all about. <period> Stuck in the 'old' days I guess, as they say. Ummm, this thing rocks, has potentional and pushing 300 hp @ the crank ? Not bad at all. A definite monster, once development goes full steam ahead, so ... yeah, I've also owned an '01 Corvette Z06, tuned/modified by Julio @ CARTEK ... fastest H/C package in the country (runs 10.80's). So .... I for one, hate all the 'ricer' commentary, and like to put it where it matters ... in the dyno sheets, then on the track. Everyone else who is skeptical, watch out ... Japan just put togeter a 720 @ crank, about a 20% driveline loss 575 HP WRX Sti ... that'll knock the socks off, even the meanest Skylines out there, which so many people stereotype as the sickest import to date. Granted, may no smoke your 1050+ HP GN, but you won't be driving an 1000 HP GN on the street either, to work, etc ...

Originally posted by social_engineer
Hey hey , just to add a few comments of my own. I too, own an 87 GN ...... but just recently purchased a silver 04 WRX STi. The car is crazy, for a 4 banger with large spoiler, it's easily false impression of a ricer. Everyone else who is skeptical, watch out ... Japan just put togeter a 720 @ crank, about a 20% driveline loss 575 HP WRX Sti ... that'll knock the socks off, even the meanest Skylines out there, which so many people stereotype as the sickest import to date. Granted, may no smoke your 1050+ HP GN, but you won't be driving an 1000 HP GN on the street either, to work, etc ...

Yes and we shall see how long parts last on a 720 crank 575 wheel wrx.They have been having problem keeping them together in the rallys with the best parts avalable at less HP.

So can you imagine how many parts you would go thru on the street with more traction?

Also that car is not going to be a daily driver either.So the 1000 hp gn comment is null and void.

I agree that someday they will have a 4 banger that will run on high test pump gas and still post better times then a turbo regal is able to do with with some minor modifications.

But that day is still a few years off.You said it correctly when you said it is amazing that they can run that kinda hp(300) out of a 4 banger on pump gas.

But to run a well prepped turbo regal on high test pump gas you need to make at least 30% to 40 % more power and be able to not break parts and launch correctly.

A high order for any car let alone one that is already running the cylinder pressure that they are.

Very few will be able to do this in the close future and most that do will have lots of money into it and will break a lot of parts.

It's not that I have anything against the current cars.I just think that too many people are overestimating the quarter mile potential at the present time.They think that they are the fastest things out and they are not.At least once again at this time.

Originally posted by social_engineer
But I think most of you ignorant ones out there -- keep in mind, no need for jackasses who stereotype the whole import scene, yet have no idea how far ahead of American technology they really are LOL ...or simply just have no idea what it's all about. <period> Stuck in the 'old' days I guess, as they say.

Nice first post.:confused:

Oh yeah, totally agreed ... after all, I don't want to sound ignorant to the domestic market either. You know ? I've owned them both, but calling it blaitantly straigh-out a 'ricer', without really knowing the potential is just plain dumb.

As for the first post thing, yeah .. hardly post here, but read a lot :) ... but this one really set me off, considering I own both cars involved here ... Umm, you gotta look at it like this. I'm out there, at the track, in the street, living and breathing the lifestyle. I like to crack jokes and all too, but come on ... give these people a break, don't call them ricers, oh they slow, etc ... be fair about it, they've come a long way too.

I no longer own the h/c z06 .. maybe what we should do is turn this post into a Corvette old geezer midlife crisis mobile crack contest ! ? LOL :D

oh NO.... MORE Subrau chest thumping on a *BUICK* board.. Excuse me while I go throw up..

Originally posted by FlyinGN
oh NO.... MORE Subrau chest thumping on a *BUICK* board.. Excuse me while I go throw up..

psst, why am I thinkin that nick = social engineer????

Nope, I am still I eat Z06. Most of the Subaru mechanical parts that break are associated with the 5spd. The 6spd is bullit proof. From 2003 on the STi has been a 6 speed.

Nick