2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

DJay

GN Novice.
Well one of my best buds ignored my advice to get a GN and bought a Sti. I guess since he's younger he liked the ricer pocket rocket look.

At any rate ... ever since he took delivery of his new car i KNOW he's been wonderin if it could take down my GN. He's ridden along with me on several occasions when a red light race occurred so I really couldn't understand where he got the idea he had a chance.

The other night he found out.

I really wasn't interested in lining up against his Subaru at this particular point since my header leak dropped my max PSI from 23# to 18#. Not to mention my trans flares REALLY bad at the top of 1st and 2nd since I got these BFG DRs (Its kinda like havin half of first useless and 1/4 of 2nd useless...). I did NOT want to lose this race! Best to avoid it all together at this point ...

I pulled up next to him at a red light to ask him something and see him eyeing the opposite yellow light while revving the engine. Well, I couldn't exactly stand down now, could I?! Wish I had had time to really spool. Could just hear my turbo start to spin up when ...

GREEN LIGHT : That AWD he has sure does fire the car off the line! My front bumper was even with his back bumper! Well that only lasted a moment. Once 18# showed on the boost gauge I pulled him REALLY hard. Now it was HIS front bumper at MY back bumper! :D

I ran all the way through the end of 3rd. 1.6 degrees of KR at 18# shifting into 3rd (Not too bad heheh). Needless to say; I just kept pulling him. I'd say we let off around 100 MPH or so. Low o2 reading was at 92 MPH.

My bud now has a brand new appreciation for how fast my 17 year old Buick is. :D All he could say afterwards was, "Dude ... yer car is FAST! I mean, REALLY fast!" (Now he's lookin into NOS, heheh)

Chalk up another one for my black beauty.

Nice one! My car isn't quite as fast. There's a couple STIs aroud where I'm at. Althuogh I cant take em i'm trying to see if my buddies 87 will do the trick. That AWD is a killer off the line, and I'm glad to see one go down!!!

Good kill.

Of course now you are gonna hear the doubters.Or should I say ricers.

It will go something like this.The guy must not have known how to shift correctly or launch correctly or whatever because there is no way that you could have beat him with a slipping tranny and only 18 lbs boost.If he knew how to drive correctly.

Good kill and don't let them bother you.If they knew what they were talking about then our kill records would show it.And they don't!! Once again good kill and get the car fixed so that even after he gets nitrous you will still spank him. :D

now *thats* the kinda Subaru stories I wanna hear lol.. Freaking ricers.. When will they learn?? never.

what do you run in the quarter? that will stop any "rice" relpys. Depending on the octane he was running he could pull of a 13.2-12.8 if he REALLY knows his car. That's bone stock. We pull just under 14 stock. sure, you may pull a 12-flat right now, but his car isnt 15 years old, give him some time to wrench at his car. My friend had just a rex(WRX) and we didnt do hardly anything to it and he was capable of mid-low 13s in Dallas. All I'm saying is give respect to the car for what it is, a rally car...not a wheel standing Charger. That's like racing a Corvette at the drag, sure you maybe able to take him on in the quarter, but what about at the road course? Any car that pulls low 13s right off the showroom floor is plenty deserving of respect in my book - our current american muscle is just barely on par with and STi and we think our cars are god's gift to the quarter. Shoot me down all you want, but I'm no ricer, my first car was a 66 GTO, then I drove a 5.0, now I am the proud owner of a GN. I am looking at getting a 66 tempest and putting a LS1/6 w/ 6 speed in it for a good cruiser. I like supras, WRXs, TVRs, ferraris, rx7s, skylines, etc. I dont think body kits/wings make you faster, much less the stickers! I hate stickers! But, you give me a car that can beat me in a race and I'll show some respect even if I dont like the car or the driver. Unless they are using nos. NOS is for wussies!

Devil's advocate

well, you're talking about a bone stock Subaru against a modified Turbo Regal. What would the outcome have been if they were both bone stock? Or if they both had the same level of mods?

That dude cant drive his STi worth sh*t. I raced my GN vs. my old WRX (buddy was drivin it) and from the line he pulled two car lenghts on me, then I rocketed past him. The STi should have pulled 3-4 car lengths on you off the line. Did you see if he have any wheel spin from the front tires? The only other car out right now that will run the STi in its price range ~ 10g, is the Mustang Cobra. Stock for stock the Subie would beat the GN. Once again the STi IS NOT RICE.

Nick

Good kill DJ. Even if the car has more potential, you still beat your friend and won the bragging rights.:)

i would say its a good kill too. your gn isnt what i would call heavily modified. the stuff in your sig doesnt really add to much hp but more in the way of reliability. your car is pretty dam near stock and you beat this 300 hp sti, thats good. shows me he was timid or short shifting or just doesnt know his car. either way a win is a win. you cross the line first.

Nice kill.
Were you saying that the BFG tires affect you trans. and its shifting of is you trans. having problems?

:D

DELETE THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW!

A. This didn't happen
B. He couldn't drive
C. He wasn't trying to race you.
D. Blablabla

He was stock, no fair!
Take your mods off now and do it again.
His car wasn't made for drag racing.

LOL:rolleyes:

If a mildly modified TR on 18psi and dr's won't beat a stock STI something is wrong with your car.

With his mods, and he's got it running good on 18psi and DR's he's should have a mid 12 sec car @106-108mph.

If Scooby didn't get him out of the hole BAD it was OVER! IE. a 5000+rpm launch.

Stock they only trap about 100-101mph, don't think so..... go look it up yourself.

Most run 13.2-12.8 stock? More like 13.5-13.3..... still fast.
That's like saying most LS1'S run 13.2-12.8 stock. They don't.

They can be made very fast just like anything else.

Let's see if this one goes on for 3 months. :eek:

Buickcruiser: that old trans of mine would burn up the 215's I had on the car at the top of 1st and 2nd. Once I put on the BFG's (which obviously have much better traction even WITHOUT a burnout) either the tires were going to spin or the trans was gonna slip....

The tires won. Heh heh. Almost feels like someones hittin the clutch at the top of 1st and 2nd. O well ... Gary Oswald has my new trans built and waiting. Just need to collect some more dinero. :)

BTW ... the STi is a VERY well made car. Faster than a bat outta hell off the showroom floor too. It really doesnt bother me that if a ProStock driver was drivin his car he might beat me... I won that time! :D

I agree a stock GN would get beaten by a stock STi. Biggest difference IMHO is GM restricted the hell outta the stock GN while Subaru tweeked and tweeked and tweeked til that lil 4 cylinder pushed 300 hp / 300 ft/lbs of torque! Compare the difference 4 hours of wrench turning and $500 worth of parts makes in both cars when stock. MUCH easier to make gains with the GN than the STi.

If someone with an STi posts 13.4 and up gets flamed bad from the Subie community. There have been a few that have hit 12's totally stock. I'm not saying that the GN wouldnt have beat the STi reguardless. But that guy couldnt drive, or was a pu**y and didnt want to launch. If it was a good driver the GN proably wouldnt have passed him for another 1/2 sec or so. Still, good kill.

Nick

here we go again.. I have NO clue why so many or you guys love this piece of crap ricer car with a 2' wing??
I make it a habit of laughing at every one I see at redlights.. What is it about this car??? I drove one and it did nto impress me in the least.. I keep thinking of jackie chan and his partner in the cannonball run every time I see a Subaru! What a wimpy 4 door econo car with a big folllowing by the kids of today.. LOLOL... PLEASE all you Subaru lovers PLEASE sell your Buicks now and go buy a Sube then go on the sube board and say how good the Buick TR is!!.. You will be much happier.. and so will we:)

maybe its me..

(im just kiddin guys) easy.. :):)

Frank, they love them cause that awd gives them the illusion of torque crushing you in you seat :)

Okay, I'm sorry but this has been bugging me all day.

The STi does not compare to a Cobra in price or performance. The Cobra $5k more and a helluva lot faster and quicker.

As far as Mustangs go, a better comparison is the Mach I. A couple of grand LESS than the STi and traps 3 MPH faster. With some traction it'll kill an STi. But as we know AWD makes up for a lot of bad drivers and tires.

An Evo is pretty close in performance, too but compares in price to a Cobra.

I really thought with all the hype that both the Evo and STi were a lot faster cars. I really didn't bother looking into them until today. The AWD is cool, but trapping at 101-103 MPH for 30+ large is not all that impressive. Yeah, HP per liter etc. Put $300 worth of tires on an LS1, Mach I, even maybe a GT and it's bye bye Subie.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy

But as we know AWD makes up for a lot of bad drivers and tires.

Jim

If you don't mind too much, permit me to use that at a later date:cool:

Originally posted by NEARING
If you don't mind too much, permit me to use that at a later date:cool:

Knock yerself out. I learned it firsthand with the 'Phoon. Cheap stock-sized tires and little skill netted me 1.7x 60' times every time. Fun at the stoplights, but lotsa stuff zoomed past me after 60 MPH.

Jim

Launching an AWD stick is a b*tch. You either spin too much or bog down. It is hard to get a perfect launch, but when you do hold on, its instant go. The Buick is easier to drive than the STi. This car handles like a go-kart. It is just so much fun to drive. Not that the Buick isnt, but realalisticly the Buick isnt an everyday car. GT's and Mach 1's are nothing to the STi. They are more in the WRX range. The only cars I wont race with it are GN's, LS1 powered cars, or a modified Cobra. Remember these cars slowest area is straight, and they do that pretty da*n quick.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
Launching an AWD stick is a b*tch. You either spin too much or bog down. It is hard to get a perfect launch, but when you do hold on, its instant go. The Buick is easier to drive than the STi. This car handles like a go-kart. It is just so much fun to drive. Not that the Buick isnt, but realalisticly the Buick isnt an everyday car. GT's and Mach 1's are nothing to the STi. They are more in the WRX range. The only cars I wont race with it are GN's, LS1 powered cars, or a modified Cobra. Remember these cars slowest area is straight, and they do that pretty da*n quick.

Nick

I rode in my friends 700 AWHP Skyline. He did an 18 psig launch. Let me tell ya........Felt great. Not like getting road head, but pretty close.:D