2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

there's a black STi running around here that i always keep seeing...not in my car of course, it's in pieces at the moment...but i can't wait to run this guy...guess he has an aftermarket intercooler, turbo, and injectors or something like that...would be a very good race with my car...we'll see next month when this flying brick hits the road again:)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
ya think Brian?? I brought up this point a while ago here and I Too thought that it may be worth somethung someday. I was quickly shot down.. NO japanese cars becoem collectable over time I was told.. I guess they are right. Show me *ANY* japanese car that is 20-25 years old that is worth a whole lot.
none..

I'm going to do something here you are sure to be unfamiliar with, and that's THINK about what I'm posting about. If you had bothered to think about the history of cars in our country, you would understand that Japanese cars made their name during the fuel crisis. People killed to get ahold of a little civic or corolla because it got way more MPG than anything U.S. made short of a diesel Chevette (I'll take the Civic please). The cars were priced cheap so people could afford them, and as a result, weren't built as solid as heavier, more expensive American cars. As a result, their durrability wasn't the greatest and they tended to rust, etc. From the point of 8 - 10 years ago or so on though, Japanese cars could be bought for higher prices, which included much better (and MUCH better than American car) quality and reliability. THOSE are the first generation of Japanese imports that you will see on the roads for years and years. Scattered among that group you have Supras, RX's, and others that were sports/collectable cars that have yet to age enough to be valuable yet. Give them 10 more years though and they will be. Same thing with the STi (and to an extent the WRX). These cars will not fall apart and are not gas sipping econoboxes like the 20-25 year old crowd you refer to. They will be around and they will hold their value or increase if a restored or immaculate example is around in a bunch of years. These days, being an import from any country or a U.S. car has nothing to do with value holding/appreciating potential. We all know the Vette is one of America's nicest sports cars. The C5's have depreciated so much it is rediculous, even sitting at the showroom new (try going to a Suby dealer and asking for 20% off sticker for a new STi!).

I am not saying that the STi is better than the Buick. In spots it is better in others it dosnt compare. I would sell the STi and keep the Buick if I had to. But the STi is a blast to drive around. I am just sayin some of the fellow Buick owners need to get off the high horse and realize that there are other sweet cars out there. I just ran a 13.2@101 with my STi yesterday and that is damn quick for a bone stock car. Granted I ran the Buick at a 13 and didnt hook up at all.:( Give the car credit, its neat. Kinda like how everyone gave the GN **** about bein a V6, that is goin on with the STi. Those SRT's are sweet I bet one would whoop the shi*t out of an Enzo if they ever met.:rolleyes:

Nick

good points..

Originally posted by ez at nova
I'm going to do something here you are sure to be unfamiliar with, and that's THINK about what I'm posting about. If you had bothered to think about the history of cars in our country, you would understand that Japanese cars made their name during the fuel crisis. People killed to get ahold of a little civic or corolla because it got way more MPG than anything U.S. made short of a diesel Chevette (I'll take the Civic please). The cars were priced cheap so people could afford them, and as a result, weren't built as solid as heavier, more expensive American cars. As a result, their durrability wasn't the greatest and they tended to rust, etc. From the point of 8 - 10 years ago or so on though, Japanese cars could be bought for higher prices, which included much better (and MUCH better than American car) quality and reliability. THOSE are the first generation of Japanese imports that you will see on the roads for years and years. Scattered among that group you have Supras, RX's, and others that were sports/collectable cars that have yet to age enough to be valuable yet. Give them 10 more years though and they will be. Same thing with the STi (and to an extent the WRX). These cars will not fall apart and are not gas sipping econoboxes like the 20-25 year old crowd you refer to. They will be around and they will hold their value or increase if a restored or immaculate example is around in a bunch of years. These days, being an import from any country or a U.S. car has nothing to do with value holding/appreciating potential. We all know the Vette is one of America's nicest sports cars. The C5's have depreciated so much it is rediculous, even sitting at the showroom new (try going to a Suby dealer and asking for 20% off sticker for a new STi!).

hey Nick I think we agree! :)

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I am not saying that the STi is better than the Buick. In spots it is better in others it dosnt compare. I would sell the STi and keep the Buick if I had to. But the STi is a blast to drive around. I am just sayin some of the fellow Buick owners need to get off the high horse and realize that there are other sweet cars out there. I just ran a 13.2@101 with my STi yesterday and that is damn quick for a bone stock car. Granted I ran the Buick at a 13 and didnt hook up at all.:( Give the car credit, its neat. Kinda like how everyone gave the GN **** about bein a V6, that is goin on with the STi. Those SRT's are sweet I bet one would whoop the shi*t out of an Enzo if they ever met.:rolleyes:

Nick

If I had the money, I wouldnt have a GN right now.........itd be an EVO or a WRX. Why? HANDLING AND BRAKES!!! The Gn has the most pathetic braking system I've ever seen for such a powerful car. Whoever engineered that from GN should be shot! (Don't say its because its an 87. My 86 944 turbo had better brakes than my regular WRX!).Sti has 4 piston brembos STOCK. It makes a difference to me because on narrow 2 lane downtown streets.....flying by cars at 85+ with crappy brakes ISNT a lot of fun (well, maybe it is.) Bottom Line

If you want to go fast in a 1/4mile===no question Grand National
If you want to go not quite as fast in a 1/4 mile, but house other cars at a track AND fit 4 of your friends in it AND not ever worry about snow, rain, sleet, mud, homeless people,
buy one of the japanese AWD cars.

They're what GM should be making right now.....instead of sh)tty ass monte carlos, and grand ams, and whatever those morons are making .

Whelp Flyin' GN, your worst nightmare is about to come true all over again. I'm purchasing the '86 GN....so now, as dreamed, my garage will have both the STi and the GN. GN is damn near perfect....completely refurbished with all original parts and new paint....great interior and motor runs smooth and strong.....almost stock except for Hooker headers, KB chip and ram air...so not much at all. I EAT Z06...that's outstanding to hear that you have both the cars too....guess it's a bit of a problem deciding which to drive each day....I'll find out soon enough. Look fwd to figurin' out what to do next with this GN...God, I'm so excited!!!!!

It is tough. The STi is better for everyday driving. The GN is more of a fun car. Thats cool we have the same cars. What color is your STi?

Nick

^^^ Agree. Give it a few years, more will come around. There are also a few WRX owners around here too.

Nick

For that sh*tty Monte Carlo comment. This year they came out with the Supercharged SS that runs low 14's stock. Supposedly next year or 2006 they get the Northstar V8. Since Caddie is totally revising the Seville and Deville platforms, and GM needs to get rid of some motors. They already put them in the Bonneville's.

Nick

Originally posted by milehighGN
If I had the money, I wouldnt have a GN right now.........itd be an EVO or a WRX. Why? HANDLING AND BRAKES!!! The Gn has the most pathetic braking system I've ever seen for such a powerful car.

The full-frame G-bodies can be made to handle and brake extremely well, if you invest some of your mod money. Suspension bushings, Hotchkis or Global West UCA & B-body spindle, a spring set, shocks and brakes are a great start, and you can go on from there. You won't believe you're in the same car.

Jim

Originally posted by whiplash306
Man, this is awesome. It would appear that the STi is either loved or hated by the Buick community.
It doesn't have to do with hating a sti.I just don't see the big comparison or excuses when one gets beat. An sti is a nice car but is highly overrated as far as straight line performance goes.

Bring any car that is running 13's on any board when the other peoples cars(Turbo buicks in this case) are mostly running low 12's , 11's and even alot of 10's.And then make excuses when youre brand of car gets beat.And talk them up like they are the quickest thing out and see what happens.

I for sure am not going to go to a board that has ligit 8, 9 and 10 second cars running on the street and talk up my buick like it's faster then these guys, make excuses on why they couldn't have beat me or why the buick driver must have messed up or the outcome would have been different.

The people who have them just need to get a clue.And come back when the majority of them are running as quick or quicker then us not slower and making excuses and reasons why it couldn't have happened.

congrats!! Im happy for ya! Im only messing round talking here.. take what I say with a grain of salt. Its just my opinion. :) Let us know how you enjoy the Buick!

Pics?

Originally posted by whiplash306
Whelp Flyin' GN, your worst nightmare is about to come true all over again. I'm purchasing the '86 GN....so now, as dreamed, my garage will have both the STi and the GN. GN is damn near perfect....completely refurbished with all original parts and new paint....great interior and motor runs smooth and strong.....almost stock except for Hooker headers, KB chip and ram air...so not much at all. I EAT Z06...that's outstanding to hear that you have both the cars too....guess it's a bit of a problem deciding which to drive each day....I'll find out soon enough. Look fwd to figurin' out what to do next with this GN...God, I'm so excited!!!!!

Originally posted by DeltaT
The full-frame G-bodies can be made to handle and brake extremely well, if you invest some of your mod money. Suspension bushings, Hotchkis or Global West UCA & B-body spindle, a spring set, shocks and brakes are a great start, and you can go on from there. You won't believe you're in the same car.

Jim

So basically I have to trash the stock suspension to get a G-body to handle on the same level as an STi? SIGN ME UP! :rolleyes:

Some of you TB guys really have reading comprehension issues. I saw this in the Taurus SHO thread and I see it in this one. You guys always think that just because somebody defends their car and doesn't immediately fellate the turbo Buicks it must mean they're calling everyone on this board out and want to take a steaming growler on the hood of every TB out there.

NEWSFLASH! Nobody here has tried to say the STi was/is superior to TBs!

^^^ Good point. I spent $2000 on new suspension/brakes for the GN and that dosnt include the rears. I will have to get a g-tech to see what kind of lateral g's the sled can pull.

Nick

Originally posted by SyHopeful
So basically I have to trash the stock suspension to get a G-body to handle on the same level as an STi? SIGN ME UP! :rolleyes:

Some of you TB guys really have reading comprehension issues. I saw this in the Taurus SHO thread and I see it in this one. You guys always think that just because somebody defends their car and doesn't immediately fellate the turbo Buicks it must mean they're calling everyone on this board out and want to take a steaming growler on the hood of every TB out there.

I don't have a comprehension problem.I posted long before any of the sti people and said almost word for word what the responses would be.

Why?Because not every time someone on this board beats a wrx or sti the story is the same they say the guy couldn't drive or the outcome would be different.

I knew exactly what way the thread was gonna go before anyone else replied and even stated it.Any time anyone beats a moderatly quick foreign car it goes the same.

They feel just because they have one and like it.That somehow they must defend it.

It always fallows the same pattern.
The guy couldn't drive!!
I know of someone who has made his very fast!!!(so you better watch out)
And then my alltime favorite cop out.Well the GN was modded.

So we shouldn't point out the fact that most are slower then a slightly modded turbo regal??
Or should we not point out the fact that the response is always the same??
Or maybe we shouldn't point out the fact that they are on a buick board sticking up for a foriegn car that once again is usually slower?

So basically if we beat them and come on a turbo buick board to tell about it.

They should be able to come on , tell us all the excuses.And we should just shut up and tell them how they are right and how cool the cars they have are.
:rolleyes:

what you see (saw) happens on every auto forum. Go onto the Sy/Ty forum and crow how good the STI is and see what happens.. I've been on auto forums for years and saw this many times.. its noting specific to TR guys..

Originally posted by SyHopeful

Im not allowed to comment.. If I do I mayl be accused of having A.D.D :)

Originally posted by onefastjackass
I don't have a comprehension problem.I posted long before any of the sti people and said almost word for word what the responses would be.

Why?Because not every time someone on this board beats a wrx or sti the story is the same they say the guy couldn't drive or the outcome would be different.

I knew exactly what way the thread was gonna go before anyone else replied and even stated it.Any time anyone beats a moderatly quick foreign car it goes the same.

They feel just because they have one and like it.That somehow they must defend it.

It always fallows the same pattern.
The guy couldn't drive!!
I know of someone who has made his very fast!!!(so you better watch out)
And then my alltime favorite cop out.Well the GN was modded.

So we shouldn't point out the fact that most are slower then a slightly modded turbo regal??
Or should we not point out the fact that the response is always the same??
Or maybe we shouldn't point out the fact that they are on a buick board sticking up for a foriegn car that once again is usually slower?

So basically if we beat them and come on a turbo buick board to tell about it.

They should be able to come on , tell us all the excuses.And we should just shut up and tell them how they are right and how cool the cars they have are.
:rolleyes: