2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

It's a beautiful thing ownin' both of these cars...now, if I get beat by one or the other, then I know what I can do to one or the other of my own cars to make 'em that much better. I don't care which one is better...that's pretty opinionated. I just can't wait to drive "MY" black beauty...Damn, I'm excited!!!! I think the 'ole STi will feel neglected for the first little while. Flyin' GN, thanks for the words..pics will come as soon as I take delivery. At that point, I'll start askin' all ya'll for tips on moddin' this beast.....

You guys looking for a GN that'll destroy these rice, winged go-carts? Get yourself a TTA for $15k + $500 in mods and you're mid 12's and will SCREAM past any Japanese rice in the twisties. You'll flat-out embarass them in every area of performance they brag about. Well, maybe except for drivability in the snow....:rolleyes:

For you import Gods, beware lining up against a plain white late 80's T/A. Here's a clue; look for the twin, dual exhaust tips. Oh, and a few TURBO emblems here and there give'em away too. Be afraid...very very afraid.

ss_tta_drag.jpg

Well I kinda feel responsible for this thread heheh ... 1st one i've started that kept goin and goin and goin :)

I'd just like the clear the air here. I don't think after having read all of these posts that anyone said the GN shouldnt have won. The worst that was said was the GN shoulda taken a lil longer to pass it up!

I personally like the STi ALOT guys. I DOES feel a lil cheap when u watch the hood scoop flap in the wind, or when u hit a bump and the rear wing shakes n rattles but all in all; its a DAYEM nice car! O yah and the way it bounces like a go kart gets kinda annoying, but don't misinterpret these opinions; I HONESTLY like the car! The only turbo import that's still bein made that I like more is the Evo, albeit it IS slower stock the STi. Just looks better IMHO.

All that being said, its apparent we ALL like cars and LOVE our buicks. ;) I don't mind leaving it at that. It's one thing to respect "a" car and quite another to be totally 100 percent head over heels infactuated with "THE" car. :D

Everyone is saying how fast the Buick is. No sh*t we all own one (or more). Most all of us know what a TTA is too. The STi is a sweet little car, that whoops on most cars on the street, especially for the 30K price tag (new cars). Like I said before, the GN realalisticly isnt a daily driver, especially in MI. I have had the STi for 4 1/2 months and havnt run into anything on the street that I was scared of. Pretty much the only thing that the STi has to worry about is turbo buick/TA, Super mustangs, LS1's + LS6's, Japanese performers (Sup, RX, 300ZX), or german performance sedans. Get what us Subaru people are talking about now? The cars still have a warranty too.With $500 in aftermarket it is in the mid-high 12's depending on driver. It is a sweet car, but not as sweet as the Buick.

Nick

>>>>Pretty much the only thing that the STi has to worry about is turbo buick/TA, Super mustangs, LS1's + LS6's, Japanese performers (Sup, RX, 300ZX), or german performance sedans

Well to me, THAT sounds like there is a hell of a LOT out there to worry about. Tack on to the above all the worked over muscle cars, foreign fast jobs, fast pickup trucks (Lightening, Harley D's etc) Caddy Northstars, etc and you appear to be pretty far down on the food chain.

So let's see here, you only have to worry about MOST of the performance cars on the road? AND YES, when I am out in my PT Cruiser, I will remember to be scared, very scared.

DAMN, I wish I had a $30K ugly little box with a huge hood scoop and wing that gave me that piece of mind.

Tlturbo...your insecurities are overwhelming.....are we still talking stock vs. stock or are you talking a stock STi vs. modified everything else? On the street, w/o slicks, the STOCK LS1/LS6 is gonna have it's hands full with a stock STi. On the quarter strip, the STOCK RX-7 is gonna get beat by the STOCK STi. The Supra is gonna be a good run stock for stock. Both the RX-7 and Supra will beat the STOCK STi on a highway run (hands down..no excuses). The 300Z..unsure of. All the German sedans you talked of that will whoop the STi cost 20k more than the STi...some significantly higher than that.....I've raced two stock Harley on the highway...whooped 'em both... badly!!! Raced a new E46 M3 (know it was 'cause of it's vanity plates) and beat him by a couple lengths up to 120/130 where WE shut it down. The Harley STOCK is about a full second slower in every area than a comparable year's Lightning. The Cadillac Northstar doesn't exist from what I can tell. The Northstar is a means of communication/navigation for stranded or distressed drivers. But, but, but, but....the PT Cruiser....whew boy...now that's a race. C'mon....be fair.....Am I saying the STi is the best car available???? HELL NO!!!! It all comes down to preference. It's a good starting platform who's aftermarket is only about 6 months old....vs.....17 years for the newest GN. And stock for stock the GN vs. all of those vehicles you listed, except your mighty PT Cruiser, the GN loses. Well, it 'might' beat a stock RX-7 through the quarter and a stock Harley... From being around racing for as long as I've been driving, I've learned that those people who slam other people's likes/dislikes in cars are usually those fanatics who know nothing else about any other car other than their own......I've since grown out of that stage and have chosen to appreciate a wide variety of cars... As I've listed before, if a car is good at what it was built to do, I am gonna atleast appreciate it. The STi is phenomenal at what it was built to do and for the price it was made available. Yeah, I coulda gone out and spent $400,000 + on that new Porsche and had a better performer. But, didn't have the money at the time!!!!! again....NO THE STI IS NOT THE BEST CAR THERE IS.....Stock for stock though....it's a better performer than most and for cheaper than most. Give the aftermarket time to catch up....we're all gonna be in for a surprise as to this little car's abilities...along with the Mitsu EVO VIII....again, can't wait the 2 weeks for my own GN....it's not the best stock car in the world either, but it's been a dream of mine for 13 years....flame on

^^ good post. TLTurbo, you dont have much room to flame on a stock 13 second car, you drive a PT Cruiser. ;) Just for more fun facts the new Bonneville GXP (northstar V8) that has 275hp does 0-60 in 6.8 sec, soo close to the STi's 4.9. The fast imports usually are not street driven (civics, etc) or are the super cars which used still run near 20K (RX7,300ZX,Supra) or AWD turbo (eclipse,WRX,EVO) which the STi is the top dog for power. There are WRX's that are street drivin are in the 11's. That is with the crappy 5spd. The aftermarket STi computer components are still under development, so when they come out you will see more respectable STi's. I dont live in CA, where every other car is an exotic. Cant imagine how awsome the built muscle cars are around turns. I would love to see any of the cars that you mentiond (ex. northstar) on the road after october. This car is good in more than one area, especially for a stock daily driver. Still no mention of the STi being better than the GN and you are still b*tchin.

Nick

Where do I start?
No, I haven't been around cars all that much. Let's see, 8 vettes starting in 1968. 66 427 425 hp, 67 427 400 tri power, 69 427 435 hp, 73 454, several small blocks, ram air T/A, THEN I got into 468 big block chevy drag boats. Built the motors in all of them. So at 56 and all that, I THINK I know a little about cars.

The STI reminds me of all the whoopla that came out with the Cosworth Vegas. Suppose to be an awsome car. Then there was the Shelby GLHS, fast as hell and could corner but it was a Dodge and how many do you still see?

And where did you guys get I was talking about my PT being a performance car? I drove the GN DAILY to work for quite a few years until I HAD to buy another car because the GN was tied up 8 months getting the engine done (another story). The PT is now my driver and it is FAR from quick.

Oh year, here in S Florida, we see cars on the street all year long. I left snow 30 years ago so ice racing doesn't do all that much for me.

Everyone says YEAH, the GN or whatever is quick in a straight line, BUT it sucks in the twisties. Let me tell ya, I have had hot cars since 1968, lived and drove in Ohio in the Muscle car era and my first car was built by Ohio George Montgomery. 61 Pontiac 389 3x2 that ate up 396 Chevelles. So I have done my share of racing over the years and I have NEVER raced anyone on the street except for in a straight line. How many on here have?

Got it.....well considering the actual WRX has only been on our shores for a couple of years, it is still a bit premature to tell the longevity of the car produced for us, but I can tell you that the resale value of the car is incredible. But at 56, I guess I would expect you to be a bit more open minded, and not so condescending as you have come across to be. It stands to reason that the only form of racing you've ever done is straight line because it's your "era"...muscle car era.....straight line..which is big fun no doubt. But with technology nowadays, straight line is not where the fun ends. Even if you don't enjoy racing in twisties, just the overall performance and road handling that the car offers you during a leisurely high speed stroll along the back roads is awe inspiring. Seriously though, hop in one some day. Your first though will not be, "Dang, this thing is fast..for a 4 cylinder".....if the person knows how to drive the car, from a dig, your only thought will be "Dang, this thing is fast". I've been in numerous 11 second Mustangs and few 10 sec ones as well. Of course, the STi doesn't pull like that. But, it's a thrill ride none the less......As far as how many of them we will see in years to come. Guess that depends on number of production years and production numbers for each year. Because the STi is a limited production vehicle, I expect it to be a very much collected item, sought after by many car enthusiasts(domestic/import...or otherwise) in the future...If not, I'm sure most all of us who had the chance to own one will still remember fondly of the enjoyment is provided during that time. Dang, you guys are harsh on this forum....if it ain't a GN, it's ****e!!!!!!!!!! I thought we were CAR ENTHUSIASTS, not JUST GN enthusiasts....

Originally posted by TT/A1233
blah blah blah blah Turbo-T/A blah blah blah blah BEST CAR EVER blah blah blah blah stupid jap crap blah blah blah blah

There, helped you out a bit.

Ha...funny, but in some ways true. Anchorage huh?....dang, I miss Alaska....I was born in Fairbanks. Haven't been there since '94, so I'm sure lots has changed. A vacation is definately in order for me a few years down the road. The guy responsible for my GN addiction lives in Fairbanks...name is Jack...has an '86, but in poor, poor condt'n....

Originally posted by TT/A1233
You guys looking for a GN that'll destroy these rice, winged go-carts? Get yourself a TTA for $15k + $500 in mods and you're mid 12's and will SCREAM past any Japanese rice in the twisties. You'll flat-out embarass them in every area of performance they brag about. Well, maybe except for drivability in the snow....:rolleyes:

For you import Gods, beware lining up against a plain white late 80's T/A. Here's a clue; look for the twin, dual exhaust tips. Oh, and a few TURBO emblems here and there give'em away too. Be afraid...very very afraid.

ss_tta_drag.jpg
Afraid of what? A Trans Am with $500 of mods that runs mid 12's?
I don't think so! I am no import god but we got two Buicks and a few Talons and I know I don't want no part of the Talon with either Buick! 585 w.h.p. and allwheel drive no thanks!

^^ has Japenese car that is up to 15 years old (depends on year), turbo, awd, and still runs hard like most DSM's. Kinda on the same page as the STi. I expect the car to last at least 10 years. BTW a 585 whp DSM is nuts. I wouldnt come near you with a 10 foot pole.:D <- another expample of a Japanese performance car not rice.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
^^ has Japenese car that is up to 15 years old (depends on year), turbo, awd, and still runs hard like most DSM's. Kinda on the same page as the STi. I expect the car to last at least 10 years. BTW a 585 whp DSM is nuts. I wouldnt come near you with a 10 foot pole.:D <- another expample of a Japanese performance car not rice.

Nick

It actualy made 604 whp with a bigger turbo. But on the street the smaller turbo made h.p. quicker and held onto it longer. And you are right it is not rice! Only thing is,it does have a 3 1/2 "exhaust tip hanging out the back, but it goes all the way to the turbo.

Originally posted by milehighGN

They're what GM should be making right now.....instead of sh)tty ass monte carlos, and grand ams, and whatever those morons are making .

A little OT rant here, but... How about even the GTO? I love how Pontiac is touting the car as some super-badazz menacing pavement tearing screamer. The double page magazine ads shout in huge bold figures "0-60 in 5.3 seconds!"
Then I flip a few pages to a review of the Subaru Forester XT (yes, that's their biggest, heaviest, family SUV model)and see the 0-60 time... 5.3 seconds, all while having tons of room, ground clearance, and AWD allweather/offroad ability. GM may get lucky with their die-hard customers and people who buy it because it says GTO on the side, but for people who see the big picture, they are in trouble.
Oh well...I guess we can't ever expect them to make another "GN". That's what makes them so special. :)

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
Afraid of what? A Trans Am with $500 of mods that runs mid 12's?
I don't think so! I am no import god but we got two Buicks and a few Talons and I know I don't want no part of the Talon with either Buick! 585 w.h.p. and allwheel drive no thanks!
And how much did it cost to get 585hp?? Yup, thought so...:rolleyes: That Talon a daily driver? No....thought so too...

As far as I'm concerned no matter if it has 800hp or 90, if it comes from Japan IT'S RICE!

Originally posted by SyHopeful
So basically I have to trash the stock suspension to get a G-body to handle on the same level as an STi? SIGN ME UP! :rolleyes:

That's like saying Subaru had to 'trash' the WRX suspension to turn it into an STI, or that you had to 'trash' your motor to put in your adjustable wastegate. Pure emotion-based reasoning.

All the mods I mentioned are reasonably priced and can be done in your garage, except you'll need a press for the suspension bushings.

I am not slamming the STI - I think it's a neat car - but don't slam an entire family of cars with great potential because you have to upgrade some production stuff.

Jim

Originally posted by DeltaT
That's like saying Subaru had to 'trash' the WRX suspension to turn it into an STI, or that you had to 'trash' your motor to put in your adjustable wastegate. Pure emotion-based reasoning.

Jim

I wasn't the original poster who said the "trash" comment, but I'll take a different view of the situation. I agree you don't "trash" the suspension by thoroughly overhauling the GN to handle much much better (replacing and improving is a better term) BUT, I would still be inclined to say that a stock STi or EVO will out grip, out handle and out "incredible steering and feedback feel" of the suspension modded GN (A modded GN could POSSIBLY outgrip a stock 17" tire wrx, but the feeling would still probably fall short by a lot). The new EVO RM model is hitting 0.98 g STOCK. That is sick.

Also, TT/A1233, your comments seem a BIT closed minded! While I would agree with you that maybe 80% of 400/500+ HP DSM's are not daily drivers, I do know a few that are, and one that is over 600 HP when on C16 (and yes, right about 550 lb ft. too). You can't assume it's not a daily car. Hell, a 500 HP AWD car will get around a lot better in the wet or snow than a 300 hp GN if you had to take either one to work in bad weather.

Originally posted by ez at nova
Also, TT/A1233, your comments seem a BIT closed minded! While I would agree with you that maybe 80% of 400/500+ HP DSM's are not daily drivers, I do know a few that are, and one that is over 600 HP when on C16 (and yes, right about 550 lb ft. too). You can't assume it's not a daily car. Hell, a 500 HP AWD car will get around a lot better in the wet or snow than a 300 hp GN if you had to take either one to work in bad weather.
Yup, they're close minded but I'm sticking to it.

TT/A 1233: DSM's take mods like GN's do, very well, and usually good priced. To make a 585whp talon proably costs alot less than you would imagine. About the all from Japan is rice comment. You seriously need to open your horizons more. There are Supra's, RX7's, 300ZX's, WRX's, DSM's, and Skylines that will whoop on most of the cars on this and many other forums. Just because dumbass kids put fart cans on their civic's dosnt mean that everything from Japan is Rice. Do you find WRC cars to be rice? Or Toyota Baja trucks rice? Maybee you see the Acura NSX to be rice? Perhaps the Infinity line up to be ricy? Maybee every Lexus is ricy? Or the Saab 92X to be rice?

Nick