2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Originally posted by I eat Z06
The only cars I wont race with it are GN's, LS1 powered cars,

This is what I don't understand. The Mach I ETs traps about the same as an LS1. Almost identically. On paper they're what - 30 less HP?, but the timeslips say otherwise.

Anyway, I'm sure the STi is a fun car - not trying to take anything away from you. Just thought that comparing it to a Cobra was giving it a *little* too much credit.

One of these days I'm going to get a car that does things other than straight lines, but I'm not sure what it will be......

Jim

I give up on you guys. I don't know whether to flame the people who think an STi is maxed out from the factory or our resident Subaru nutswinger (Mr. I eat Z06) first.

EXACTLY Jimmy. And you will have a REAL collectable car that others will not point and laugh at at redlights either! :):)

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Okay, I'm sorry but this has been bugging me all day.

The STi does not compare to a Cobra in price or performance. The Cobra $5k more and a helluva lot faster and quicker.

As far as Mustangs go, a better comparison is the Mach I. A couple of grand LESS than the STi and traps 3 MPH faster. With some traction it'll kill an STi. But as we know AWD makes up for a lot of bad drivers and tires.

An Evo is pretty close in performance, too but compares in price to a Cobra.

I really thought with all the hype that both the Evo and STi were a lot faster cars. I really didn't bother looking into them until today. The AWD is cool, but trapping at 101-103 MPH for 30+ large is not all that impressive. Yeah, HP per liter etc. Put $300 worth of tires on an LS1, Mach I, even maybe a GT and it's bye bye Subie.

Jim

:confused:

A guy with what should be a mid 12 sec car beats a low 13 sec car and people more or less say he was lucky?
:confused:

Yes a stock STI WILL BEAT a STOCK GN! Happy now.

Launching an AWD stick is a b*tch. You either spin too much or bog down. It is hard to get a perfect launch, but when you do hold on, its instant go. The Buick is easier to drive than the STi. This car handles like a go-kart. It is just so much fun to drive. Not that the Buick isnt, but realalisticly the Buick isnt an everyday car. GT's and Mach 1's are nothing to the STi. They are more in the WRX range. The only cars I wont race with it are GN's, LS1 powered cars, or a modified Cobra. Remember these cars slowest area is straight, and they do that pretty da*n quick.

Nick

Wow this guy is funny!

Seems like no matter what forum I go to, it's impossible for the owners of any particular car to really appreciate another sort of car. I also have an '04 STi...love the car!!!..by far, the best stock car I have ever owned. But, on the other hand, a car I have wanted and am DYING to get for over 12 years now is an '87 GN (look in ya'lls "Cars for sale"). I'm wanting to find one now. I don't care that a GN with mods may be faster. Lord, if I'm gonna be beat, I'd rather it be at the hands of one of my vehicle icons. It's true that the STi was not meant for a quarter mile car...it's happier in the twisties. The fact however, that there have been numerous accts of high 12.8's and 12.9's out of a stock car that's not meant for quartering should net the Suby some sort of respect. Look at the GN, it's an overweight, automatic, non-cornering beast...that for the longest time, and still is in some cases, very UNDER RATED... as far as a collector's item, I really feel that the STi's will be a limited production run for several years, then be taken away from our shores. Flyin' GN, I've not noticed anyone laughing at me around stoplights. People do point and stare, roll down their windows, ask questions and give complements. Actually, most people think I'm crazy to want a GN- old Monte Carlo lookin', square black box as a dream car...to each their own. All the above to say, my day will be made when I can open both sides of my garage and have the STi on one side and the GN on the other....and with a 3 car garage, an '04 Cobra would be great too.....Anyone with a GN for sale in Texas??????

Originally posted by whiplash306
Seems like no matter what forum I go to, it's impossible for the owners of any particular car to really appreciate another sort of car. I also have an '04 STi...love the car!!!..by far, the best stock car I have ever owned. But, on the other hand, a car I have wanted and am DYING to get for over 12 years now is an '87 GN (look in ya'lls "Cars for sale"). I'm wanting to find one now. I don't care that a GN with mods may be faster. Lord, if I'm gonna be beat, I'd rather it be at the hands of one of my vehicle icons. It's true that the STi was not meant for a quarter mile car...it's happier in the twisties. The fact however, that there have been numerous accts of high 12.8's and 12.9's out of a stock car that's not meant for quartering should net the Suby some sort of respect. Look at the GN, it's an overweight, automatic, non-cornering beast...that for the longest time, and still is in some cases, very UNDER RATED... as far as a collector's item, I really feel that the STi's will be a limited production run for several years, then be taken away from our shores. Flyin' GN, I've not noticed anyone laughing at me around stoplights. People do point and stare, roll down their windows, ask questions and give complements. Actually, most people think I'm crazy to want a GN- old Monte Carlo lookin', square black box as a dream car...to each their own. All the above to say, my day will be made when I can open both sides of my garage and have the STi on one side and the GN on the other....and with a 3 car garage, an '04 Cobra would be great too.....Anyone with a GN for sale in Texas??????

I don't think that anyone saying that the STI is a bad car ,but some people ( I eat z06) on this board holds the car up like it's the king ,and the car is far from being a king. I gave up on my imports ,and bought myself a t-type ,and I will never go back! My car is comfortable ,and turns heads. It may be Monte Carlo lookin square body black box ,but with a couple of bolt ons would put a ass whopin on most of the cars on the street.

I will never understand the import thing. Having owned two LS1 F-bodies and now a GN, I will admit the new imports Evo's and WRX's are quick, but put the same amount of money into each and the larger displacement car will smoke those four bangers. Go to a local track and check out all of the low dollar 70's-80's Novas and Malibus running 10 sec with big and small blocks w/ NOS. I threw a bunch of money at my brand new Ls1 Camaro and got it into the 12's. Then bought my GN, bone stock, for 11500 put about 2500$ into it and it's in the 11's. How much do those new Evo's and WRX's cost?

cause yo ain't lookin hard nuff. ALL the friends that I know dispise(sp) these goofy looking ricer cars..
and DO laugh at em..

Do youself a BIG favor then and PLEASE DO NOT BUY A "square black box" them. You don't deserve to own one.. They don't handle and are horrible road cars. unlike the Suraru's.. Your a Subaru guy at heart.. :)
AND DON'T COME HERE PROCLAIMING HOW GOOD THOSE FREAKING RICER CARS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS DISGUSTING..
IM SICK TO MY STOMACH
now smile..:) And head out to the Subbie dealer and pluck down your $35 large for one.. watta buy

. . Flyin' GN, I've not noticed anyone laughing at me around stoplights. People do point and stare, roll down their windows, ask questions and give complements. Actually, most people think I'm crazy to want a GN- old Monte Carlo lookin', square black box as a dream car[/B]

Originally posted by NEARING
DELETE THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW!

A. This didn't happen
B. He couldn't drive
C. He wasn't trying to race you.
D. Blablabla

He was stock, no fair!
Take your mods off now and do it again.
His car wasn't made for drag racing.

LOL:rolleyes:

If a mildly modified TR on 18psi and dr's won't beat a stock STI something is wrong with your car.

With his mods, and he's got it running good on 18psi and DR's he's should have a mid 12 sec car @106-108mph.

If Scooby didn't get him out of the hole BAD it was OVER! IE. a 5000+rpm launch.

Stock they only trap about 100-101mph, don't think so..... go look it up yourself.

Most run 13.2-12.8 stock? More like 13.5-13.3..... still fast.
That's like saying most LS1'S run 13.2-12.8 stock. They don't.

They can be made very fast just like anything else.

Let's see if this one goes on for 3 months. :eek:

I admire a man who bases his comments on printed fact and not 3rd hand internet dribble. Well said.

If someone with an STi posts 13.4 and up gets flamed bad from the Subie community. There have been a few that have hit 12's totally stock. I'm not saying that the GN wouldnt have beat the STi reguardless. But that guy couldnt drive, or was a pu**y and didnt want to launch. If it was a good driver the GN proably wouldnt have passed him for another 1/2 sec or so. Still, good kill.

Nick

Guess these guys running stock 12's are better drivers than any of the mag. drivers driving prepped cars provided by the factory. Gimme a break.

Can we quit talking about these silly things. We get it, they're fast.

Hate hearin' ya'lls remarks. I drove my '04 STi to Austin today to check out an '86 big black box....that I want so bad. Flyin' GN, it's a shame all you know how to do is flame....If you read my post more closely, you'd see that I love these GN's and have for a VERY long time. I'm not a "suby guy"....or "lover" or whatever. I enjoy any vehicle that is a performer and for whatever aspect of performing it's best at. NO, the STi is NOT the best car there is, neither is the GN...damn, I thought my post was friendly. Regardless, if all works out, I will have both. I'm a car enthusiast, not just a GN or Suby or Ford, etc enthusiast...if it's good at what it's meant to do, I generally will like it.....

I was not flaming. Thats why I had the smileys in:)
Im just DAMN sick of hearing *ON A BUICK* forum how good a Subaru is.. Don't ya think I own other cars?? Do you see me crowing how fine my other vehicles are on this forum??? no..

:):)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
here we go again.. I have NO clue why so many or you guys love this piece of crap ricer car with a 2' wing??
I make it a habit of laughing at every one I see at redlights.. What is it about this car??? I drove one and it did nto impress me in the least.. I keep thinking of jackie chan and his partner in the cannonball run every time I see a Subaru! What a wimpy 4 door econo car with a big folllowing by the kids of today.. LOLOL... PLEASE all you Subaru lovers PLEASE sell your Buicks now and go buy a Sube then go on the sube board and say how good the Buick TR is!!.. You will be much happier.. and so will we:)

maybe its me..

(im just kiddin guys) easy.. :):)

Whoa Frank! With a BUILT motor and a STOUT AWD system easily "cabable" of low 11's in Stock Trim (ie., Simply Turn up the Boost like us), this car is NO JOKE, Leno & Hot Rod mag both respect it as well, and the big thing is that in the Future it's CERTAIN to be a Highly valued Collectable car Just like ours are! Thats my EDUCATED take on it (40+ years in the collecter car hobby)!

The point is again that people with sti's come on a buick board and talk them up like they are the quickest car out when most of the guys on this board are running quicker times.

Then if anyone with a buick beats them all the sti lovers come out on a buick board once again and try to say that it couldn't happen or start making excuses of why if it did it wasn't a legit spanking.

I agree with alot of the buick lovers here.If the turbo buick isn't superior in a straight line then why would you want one??And why are you on the board in the first place??

And if the buick is better in a straight line then why ever time someone posts a kill on one do you start making excuses and reason why it shouldn't have come out that way????????

I can totally agree with you onefastjackass. I can't stand when people make excuses as to why they were beat. If you think you got beat and have some excuse to why you shoulda won, then race the guy again some other time with that problem corrected. It goes that way on all boards. Go to the SRT4 forum board....there is NOTHING that can beat the Neon SRT4...in their opinion. Several of 'em have race TT Supras, Lambo's, Z06 Vettes, all on the highway....and whooped 'em all, or so they say. Man, I have not come to this board to start a pissing match. I don't think the STi is the best car in the world. There is NO STi that I know of right now that can break out of the low 11's yet....the motor/turbo combination is too new....less than a year even. The parts are being developed but it is slow going. Given time, the aftermarket should make this car one hell of a fast one though. And I do hope that it gets pulled from us in the near future, to make it a collector's car like the GN or TT RX-7, or Supra...as I intend on keeping mine. Anyways, again, I haven't come to hijack this board, or to state that the STi is unbeatable...I'm wiser than that. I'd rather hear ya'lls input on what to be cautious of when considering purchasing a GN...never done it before....By the way, I go to SanAntonio tomorrow to check out an '87 GN (fingers crossed)....yesterday I testdrove an '86 GN out of Austin....beautiful car. Guy has had it for over 14 years....perfect exterior, 95% perfect interior, brand new paint, car cranked and ran like a dream....price was a bit high but for understandable reasons...wish me luck....

ya think Brian?? I brought up this point a while ago here and I Too thought that it may be worth somethung someday. I was quickly shot down.. NO japanese cars becoem collectable over time I was told.. I guess they are right. Show me *ANY* japanese car that is 20-25 years old that is worth a whole lot.
none..

ogh Jeeze, Leno and Hot Rod approves. Now im gonna run right out and buy one!! gimme a break.
Ill take a new mach one or better yet a Cobra ANY DAY (over a Subaru)and 20 years down the road it will be worth something..

and Im sorry. a 4 door japanese econo based car with a NON WORKING(on the street) 2' FUGLY wing is a JOKE..

Originally posted by TClassic
Whoa Frank! With a BUILT motor and a STOUT AWD system easily "cabable" of low 11's in Stock Trim (ie., Simply Turn up the Boost like us), this car is NO JOKE, Leno & Hot Rod mag both respect it as well, and the big thing is that in the Future it's CERTAIN to be a Highly valued Collectable car Just like ours are! Thats my EDUCATED take on it (40+ years in the collecter car hobby)!

well said..

Originally posted by onefastjackass
The point is again that people with sti's come on a buick board and talk them up like they are the quickest car out when most of the guys on this board are running quicker times.

Then if anyone with a buick beats them all the sti lovers come out on a buick board once again and try to say that it couldn't happen or start making excuses of why if it did it wasn't a legit spanking.

I agree with alot of the buick lovers here.If the turbo buick isn't superior in a straight line then why would you want one??And why are you on the board in the first place??

And if the buick is better in a straight line then why ever time someone posts a kill on one do you start making excuses and reason why it shouldn't have come out that way????????

WRX COST=$30,000 + ENGINE WORK=$ALOT =11SEC ET'S

87 GN 40,000 MILES=$11,500 ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE=$10.00

ALKY=$140.00 SLICKS=$300.00 =11SEC ET'S + ALOT COOLER.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE ARGUING ABOUT THIS, BUT IF WE ALL HAD THE SAME CAR WE WOULDN'T HAVE MUCH TO TALK ABOUT.