2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

I am semi-happy with my STi right now. It is only putting down 341awhp with this turbo set up. Was supposed to have over 400awhp. Oh well, it was enough to smack a C5/C6/WS6 on the highway during this year's AKA Rally. I was also .2 seconds behind a 97' Viper GTS Venom 650 in the 1/8th mile in 90+ deg/90+ humidity weather.

Nick

Read This

I had to comment on this thread.Owning both cars. . heres the deal.I love my GN and I love my STi. This is my 2nd 87GN.Running 12.8's with DR's and 13 flat on the TA's.I went from a car with the least traction to a car with the best traction. Complete opposites in the own right.
A warmed over GN (Turbo Buick) for the t-type guys will stay or beat a stock STi. Like written the STi is way harder to drive and frankly isnt a drag car period. With AWD the trap speed suffers. .feels like a brake between shifts. . and having to shift into 5th at the end of the 1/4 mile. Also 0-60 requires a shift into 3rd mind you. Lots of shifting. . losing 10ths doing it. The GN is just a blast. . espeically with the clutch switch to launch. Powerbrake. .to spool and let off brake. . mash gas down. . computer shifts at 5,000 for ya.. .nice shift kit. Running low 13's.
My 87GN was $18,800 brand new. . capable of hitting 13.8 stock (October weather and hooking up) but more like 14.2 in the summer . Doesnt brake or handle all that good. . drum brakes in rear. . C'mon. . cant drive in the rain without wrecking it. Now the 87GNX with 300HP was $29,995 in 1987!!! and ran 13.3's stock. . just like my 04STi . .sticker $30,995. 17 years newer. . AWD, Brembo's that can stop you and 10 other cars behind you. 13" rotors,(ABS/EBD . . .Center Diff (DCCD). . Air bags. .tops out at 147 stock. .and will hit a .91 on the skid. and 10X more pollution controls. . .A real dash board ( not laim like my 87GN's ). My STis 2.5 litres=150 cubic inches. GN 3.8 litres=231 cubes. So basically the STi makes 75hp per cylinder (stock) on same pump gas. Im running mild tune which is reflased ECU (Cobb AP) and 3" catted D/P. .and putting out a sweet 350HP& 385lbs with a flat 4. Must give credit where credit is due. The Buick is still "Bad to the Bone" and ill always have my GN. . highlty respected and the STi is gaining respect as you read this. I know id think twice about messing with a Turbo Buick in my STi. . when my Buick is resting through these Upstate, NY winters. . I take out the rice aka: $30,000 snowmobile and have a blast. . thats what its all about. :biggrin: I have fun with both. . just as many looks in both. . but the all black paint and chrome rims. . orange parking lights. . .still sends chills through my spine. My STi is more boy racer. . flashy. .spoilers. . 4" hood scope. . HID's. .I/C sprayer. . and ironing board on back. :cool:

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG AND SHUT IT :cool: Doest matter what it is, respect the fact that fast cars come in all shapes and sizes, some ugly, some cool and some detined for greatness (GN). Each has their own medicine. Gn's are really good in 1/4, and WRX is good in the twisties. Who cares, run it or shut it, NO excuses. There is always someone faster :cool: out

BuikGN87 said:
I had to comment on this thread.Owning both cars. . heres the deal.I love my GN and I love my STi. This is my 2nd 87GN.Running 12.8's with DR's and 13 flat on the TA's.I went from a car with the least traction to a car with the best traction. Complete opposites in the own right.
A warmed over GN (Turbo Buick) for the t-type guys will stay or beat a stock STi. Like written the STi is way harder to drive and frankly isnt a drag car period. With AWD the trap speed suffers. .feels like a brake between shifts. . and having to shift into 5th at the end of the 1/4 mile. Also 0-60 requires a shift into 3rd mind you. Lots of shifting. . losing 10ths doing it. The GN is just a blast. . espeically with the clutch switch to launch. Powerbrake. .to spool and let off brake. . mash gas down. . computer shifts at 5,000 for ya.. .nice shift kit. Running low 13's.
My 87GN was $18,800 brand new. . capable of hitting 13.8 stock (October weather and hooking up) but more like 14.2 in the summer . Doesnt brake or handle all that good. . drum brakes in rear. . C'mon. . cant drive in the rain without wrecking it. Now the 87GNX with 300HP was $29,995 in 1987!!! and ran 13.3's stock. . just like my 04STi . .sticker $30,995. 17 years newer. . AWD, Brembo's that can stop you and 10 other cars behind you. 13" rotors,(ABS/EBD . . .Center Diff (DCCD). . Air bags. .tops out at 147 stock. .and will hit a .91 on the skid. and 10X more pollution controls. . .A real dash board ( not laim like my 87GN's ). My STis 2.5 litres=150 cubic inches. GN 3.8 litres=231 cubes. So basically the STi makes 75hp per cylinder (stock) on same pump gas. Im running mild tune which is reflased ECU (Cobb AP) and 3" catted D/P. .and putting out a sweet 350HP& 385lbs with a flat 4. Must give credit where credit is due. The Buick is still "Bad to the Bone" and ill always have my GN. . highlty respected and the STi is gaining respect as you read this. I know id think twice about messing with a Turbo Buick in my STi. . when my Buick is resting through these Upstate, NY winters. . I take out the rice aka: $30,000 snowmobile and have a blast. . thats what its all about. :biggrin: I have fun with both. . just as many looks in both. . but the all black paint and chrome rims. . orange parking lights. . .still sends chills through my spine. My STi is more boy racer. . flashy. .spoilers. . 4" hood scope. . HID's. .I/C sprayer. . and ironing board on back. :cool:

Nice digs towards the GN and from reading your post that your definitely prefer the STI.... New cars are nice, but lets wait 18 years and see how much upkeep on that skoobie-doo will run you all together and when its "aged"
Lets see if it even lasts that long :rolleyes:

I love your quote about how much horsepower/litres the ole flat 4 makes, seems like small man syndrome and the typical excuse as to why its slower than a stock turbo regal... "but it makes more power per cubic inch"
Where is the "yank" symbol???

:biggrin:
BW

Thats funny. . .STi slower than stock turbo Buick. Next youll tell me that the GN's. . say the quickest year 87 . . not 86 with the chrome on the grill. . will also beat the AWD GMC Syclone right?
Read Motor Trend? just tested the 2006 STI . .so you know it ran a 13.0 flat. Fact. . STi has a better HP-weight ratio. . how do you like those apples??? :D
Fact: Japanese cars outlast american cars. . due to better quality. So how did your non clear coat paint hold up. . over the years? Also the 3.8 turbo with the plastic timing chain teeth and inadequate oil pressure are good for 60-100,000 miles if your lucky. If the PCV didnt pressurize the pan and blow out the GM rope type rear main. On the other hand. . Japanese. . and unique boxer engine will run for 200,000 +miles. Subaru,Porsche and BMW motorcycles use the horizontally opposed design. . whats that tell you? Smaller package delivers more punch then 3.8V-6!. . lower center of gravity too. (thats right. . your car goes 1,320 ft in a perfectly level dry paved track)
My STi's AWD is standard. . .the limited slip diff was an option on the Turbo Buick. . code (G 80) I believe. . where you going with that? 1 wheel peel.. .245HP / 355 lbs going to A single 215/65 rear tire. Talk all you want about power this and that. . .power is nothing without traction. Im hooking up on 100% of the time.
ps Bryan. .read this shootout. . Subaru 2.5 spanks GM 6.0 litre:Read this and weep

BuikGN87 said:
Thats funny. . .STi slower than stock turbo Buick. Next youll tell me that the GN's. . say the quickest year 87 . . not 86 with the chrome on the grill. . will also beat the AWD GMC Syclone right?
Read Motor Trend? just tested the 2006 STI . .so you know it ran a 13.0 flat. Fact. . STi has a better HP-weight ratio. . how do you like those apples??? :D
Fact: Japanese cars outlast american cars. . due to better quality. So how did your non clear coat paint hold up. . over the years? Also the 3.8 turbo with the plastic timing chain teeth and inadequate oil pressure are good for 60-100,000 miles if your lucky. If the PCV didnt pressurize the pan and blow out the GM rope type rear main. On the other hand. . Japanese. . and unique boxer engine will run for 200,000 +miles. Subaru,Porsche and BMW motorcycles use the horizontally opposed design. . whats that tell you? Smaller package delivers more punch then 3.8V-6!. . lower center of gravity too. (thats right. . your car goes 1,320 ft in a perfectly level dry paved track)
My STi's AWD is standard. . .the limited slip diff was an option on the Turbo Buick. . code (G 80) I believe. . where you going with that? 1 wheel peel.. .245HP / 355 lbs going to A single 215/65 rear tire. Talk all you want about power this and that. . .power is nothing without traction. Im hooking up on 100% of the time.
ps Bryan. .read this shootout. . STi spanks 400HP RWD GM V8 :Read this and weep

Nice edit, let me read
BW

Hey. . I didnt write the article. . but facts are facts in B&W. Edmunds official enough for you?.. now if you dont give respect to the STi like Edmunds . .then your the MORON!!!

BuikGN87 said:
Hey. . I didnt write the article. . but facts are facts in B&W. Edmunds official enough for you?.. now if you dont give respect to the STi like Edmunds . .then your the MORON!!!

Im a moron :biggrin:
BW

:biggrin: Me Too :biggrin:
take care Bryan. .ill c ya in here. . shut eye time

Factory paint....Looks horrible for 18 years old....
Almost as old as you :biggrin:
BW

Attachments

• 100_2795 (Small).jpg
    100_2795 (Small).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 272
I see the STi vs. GN coming back up again.

The STi is a fast bone stock car, it runs the GTO, SRT4's through SRT8's, EVO's (dam close), 350Z, C5 Vettes, etc... But all the cars that are in the low 13's and faster (bone stock) are still fast cars. It is like the people complaining that the new GTO isn't fast enough compared to the origional. Well it is a h3ll of alot faster than the 64', but other cars are fast now too and it has to deal with them unlike the 64' had to.
10 years ago nobody in America would have dreamed of a Subaru that with a little modification could beat up on a Corvette. Now that the day has come people revert to how well the car will hold up, etc. The STi will proably hold up better than the GN (time for time, i.e. 1997 for a 1987 GN and 2014 for a 2004 STi) from the fact that it's chassis is much more rigid than the GN's and lets face it 21st century Japanese build quality is much higher than that of American (or anywhere for that fact) build quality in the 1980's. I am not saying that the paint is not going to be wrecked because Subaru is notorious for bad paint, but the cars will/should easily be able to last 20+ years without a problem with the technology we have today.

Nick

I am done ranting and dou
*edit* ^ what the h3ll is that sentance? :D :confused:
That means it is time for bed. :p

We were just talking, no hard feelings, and i feel the STi drivetrain wont make it past 10 years.. Really, how many hard launches can you really make on a AWD driveline that isnt built for being beat on 100% of the time?

Money in the bank or the new DSM on hand?

I know technology has helped the STI a much better car since its 18 years newer than the 87 regal.....

Wish i could start a company that would allow my 231 v6 to produce only 75hp per cyl,,,,,,

CRAP..... ive already done the 75/cyl but it definitely wasnt on pump gas....
BW

Good point on the driveline holding up over the years. I know the stock organic clutch is the weak link. . .trying to spin all 4's requires a 5000-5500 RPM drop. .not good.. . It either bogs or burns the clutch. I know the tranny is designed to handle 500lbs. It reminds me of my M-22 "RockCrusher" in my 455 GTO with the straight cut heavy duty gears that whine loud.
I have no desire to launch my STi like that.. .Besides,I blew my GN's tranny it was stock except for shift kit. . So ive learned.. .that I can break anything.Beating on catches up I guess.
Bry: they make that power on 91 (93 Rec.) @14.5 lbs and with cats meeting emissions too.Pretty incredible. Running REDLINE since 7000 miles baby :D

after reading all 5 pages i forgot what i was going to say, i won;t re read so
i'll make up what i wana say as i go along.. 0 - 60 times with todays tires
has to be way better than those crapy good year gt's that came on these cars, my 87 mc ss could brake um lose from a roll, and in stock form it ran a 16.2.. i'd realy like to find a stock gn with a good set of tires run the 0 -60
and the 1/4 mile...i'd love an sti for winter driveing,or any other 4 wheel drive
i raced an 05 sti with up & down pipe - full exht - and a reflash and after market air filter.. mine 87 gn full exht - chip - k&n filter - 20 psi and running
100 actane.. yes he bogged it and i spun real bad but at 130 i had a good 10
cars on him... any car can go fast and be made even faster,,so like they say
run what you brung...i read alot of boards when bored just the kills and what not,and it seems the sti gets ranked on the most, crap go to a gto board and
that place has never ben beat by one or any car for that matter.. in all fair
ness the sti put up a better fight than the gto a ran.. i'll take any new car
300srt, charger srt , cobra or an sti just don't try to give me that new rear
wheel drive grand am.........

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
We were just talking, no hard feelings, and i feel the STi drivetrain wont make it past 10 years.. Really, how many hard launches can you really make on a AWD driveline that isnt built for being beat on 100% of the time?
Money in the bank or the new DSM on hand?
BW

The wink link in the STi's drivetrain is the 1/2 shafts, not the transmissions. The 5spd in the WRX is a weak trans, but the 6spd in the STi is considered bulletproof and there are multiple 700+awhp cars running on the stock trans with no issues. So it would take alot for a stock to mildly modded STi to kill the trans (unless intentionally doing it, but the trans is about $6k :eek: , so that would be a bad idea). Now, the clutchs can and do go out fairly easily, depending on the driver. Mine lasted 30k miles with over 50 times down the 1/4 mile, and I ride the clutch longer than most b/c in an AWD car it is better to destroy your clutch than your transmission. I beat the piss outta my 341awhp STi, launches, road rallies, breaking the tires loose from a roll, etc.. and the trans felt like it did from day one.

I really do think that the WRX and the EVO are going to be the next DSM (cheap to get, easy to break trans, quick for the buck, etc), but I think that the STi and EVO MR might take some time to drop to those prices. With only 4,000 2004 STi's produced I don't think that their value is going to drop quite as quickly as the average WRX.

Nick

*edit*
here is a video of me beating up on a modified WS6, this is on shiitty all season tires.
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=E94A1049-BE89-4ED8-937C-0ED62003303A

Pretty good video there Nick! :biggrin:
How fast did you guys run up to 100?

Is that 341 on a awd dyno?

BW

STI = drive it, beat it up and throw it away. I'm sure it's fun, I know they are quick, but in the realm of historic performance car notables, they will never even be a blip on the radar. It's an Impreza for crying out loud, nobody is going to care or remember them in 10 years. I'm happy some here like them and enjoy owning them, and I do not mean to offend those of you who do own them, but comparing them to a GN is silly. The fact that the GN is almost 20 years old and built in a terrible time for the automotive industry as a whole, and is receptive enough to minor modification that it can beat up on STI's is enough of a statement.

Some American muslecars become icons, like the GN has become. You can talk HP per ci and Japaneese quality all you want. Most car guys don't really give a rat's nose and would rather be beat repeatedly with a hammer as opposed to owning a Japaneese tuner. Fast as they may be it only inspires us to up the ante and keep the rice at bay. I'll eat my hat the day I see an Impreza increasing in value and commanding the respect or value a GN does.