Zero Drone!

HEY--
use this # when you order the hooker kit from SUMMIT

HOK-16810

EVERYTIME i have ordered this kit #, it comes with the AEROCHAMBER mufflers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even when you call summit, they will tell you that you wont get the aerochambers, you should get them,... i have recieved the aerochambers 4 TIMES when i used that # :confused:
i work on lots of peoples cars

there is a big difference in the mufflers -
this kit was 279.95 plus 6.75 for handling

HTH
wanner@kc.rr.com

I have an ATR 3" crossflow with a Borla 3" muffler added in series. Got stopped by the law for "loudness." It's quieter (sounds great) but there is still drone.

Imagine the difference in pitch (call it drone or frequency) between a Tuba and a Trumpet. It's all in the diameter of the pipe. In the same way, the frequency or drone of my exhaust is raised to a higher pitch. as the size is reduced from 3" to say 2 1/4" inches. The loudness will change very little, but the frequency will raise and cancel out the, TUBA type drone. It's the deep sound, not the loud sound that I'm talking about.

We tested the 3" with two reducers (from 3" down to 2 1/4" ) that we shoved in at the end of the pipes. The car had absolutely no Droan with the reducers, but it was just about as loud from what we could tell.

We took the 2 1/4" reducers out of the pipes, because they would defeat the purpose of a 3" system, when we did the "droan" came back. We compared in 4th gear 2000-2002 rpm.

So, IMO Drone, Frequency, Pitch, and Loudness are measurements that become confusing, when comparing exhaust systems.

The solution to get rid of the droan...drive faster...4200 rpm sounds about right! :)

Thank you for the part #. So, is there a difference in the muffler itself. Aerochamber and something else? DRew

I think 90% want drone. In fact if most could have their TR sound like a big block they would. Me? I like quiet. I got quiet. No drone.:p

i think the regular mufflers( the same ones that are on my silver limited) are hookers version of the sonic turbo flow muffler.
i believe the turbo flows are a tad quieter than the aerochambers, but do not allow your turbo to spool up as quick-
( just from what i have witnessed from my limited, and a few other friends cars that use those regular mufflers)

the aeorchamber muffler sounds sweet, spools quick,flows awesome, and for 279.00 you cant really beat the price/quality exhaust system-
its mandral bent 2 1/2-
and its ok to use the hooker sonic turbo flows, my 87 limited with full exhaust went 11.30's at 120 in a very simple combo and a heavy car-- would have gone 10.70's in a gutted regal easy!

I like quiet to.....I had one stock car with the hooker set up.....that was the quietest car I have had besides a bone stock exhaust....all my other cars have eithier a single "droney" 3" or dual 3" little droney exhausts:p

I changed the pitbull muffler to the RPM edelbrock on my ATR 3" SS and it improved the drone to where I can now stand it.

the aerochambers are a straight thru design muffler, they are quiet, but not as quiet as the super turbos- i dont believe the super turbos are a straight thru design either-

but indeed, either set of mufflers you get, the system is quiet, and a not a pita to install
HTH

Gn-Krazzie,

I have the same exhaust bought from Turbo City at about the same time you did ...

The mufflers are Dynomax Super Turbo (aluminized steel).

They are not "straight thru" , like the Dynomax UltraFlow Stainless, but have Two 180º turn baffles inside.

Originally posted by CaPPY
I have an ATR 3" crossflow with a Borla 3" muffler added in series. Got stopped by the law for "loudness." It's quieter (sounds great) but there is still drone.

Imagine the difference in pitch (call it drone or frequency) between a Tuba and a Trumpet. It's all in the diameter of the pipe. In the same way, the frequency or drone of my exhaust is raised to a higher pitch. as the size is reduced from 3" to say 2 1/4" inches. The loudness will change very little, but the frequency will raise and cancel out the, TUBA type drone. It's the deep sound, not the loud sound that I'm talking about.

We tested the 3" with two reducers (from 3" down to 2 1/4" ) that we shoved in at the end of the pipes. The car had absolutely no Droan with the reducers, but it was just about as loud from what we could tell.

We took the 2 1/4" reducers out of the pipes, because they would defeat the purpose of a 3" system, when we did the "droan" came back. We compared in 4th gear 2000-2002 rpm.

So, IMO Drone, Frequency, Pitch, and Loudness are measurements that become confusing, when comparing exhaust systems.

The solution to get rid of the droan...drive faster...4200 rpm sounds about right! :)

That reminds me a very long time ago I remember seeing inserts available with the Kenne Bell exhaust to eliminate drone.

How come the picture on Summit's web site for HOK-16810 looks nothing like I'd expect a GN/TR exhaust system to look like?:confused:

i just looked at the site HOK-16810 and the picture DOES NOT MATCH WHAT YOU RECIEVE

good greif, it shows a header back system with a H Pipe setup
what a bunch of dope smokers running the summit online catalog

dont worry- that be tha # i ordered
HTRH :)
later

Thanks Tom H

Thanks good to know about the Dynomax Mufflers, I don't find them excessively Loud, I do have the Vacuum on steriods sound from under the hood thou :D
I am thinking of changing them for hooker Aero Chambers which should give me a more aggressive sound

Originally posted by CaPPY

Just in the ends of the tailpipes? sounds like an easy experiment.... Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Borla makes some reducer venturi's that will eliminate the resonance/drone but they don't
list them on their web site. Anyone know the part numbers? These would be similar to the
old KB "noise supressors" (a non-product, I tried to buy some years ago)

Bob

Bob,
WLK -41961... 2 1/2" to 2 1/4"...$4.39
WLK-41973... 3" to 2 1/2 ...$12.99

Dynomax Exhaust Reducers

1-800-230-3030

Right on the tailpipes though........?

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

TurboBob

If you're going to keep them on permanently, then you'd want to put them where they're not seen, like before or after the muffler; only on the ends for a TEST.