Zero Drone!

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
Sugestions on cat back exhaust system that have NO DRONE. Stock car with no modds planned. Kirbans hooker system ?, Summit? Jegs? ect? Who do I get it from? Thanks. Drew

No such thing as ZERO drone. It's the natural harmonics of the engine configuration. You can reduce the amplitude or frequency a bit, but it will still drone... BUT the quietest exhaust that flows well, and a good price.. the Hooker system is hard to beat.

That would have the way to ask the question. Is the one your talking about the sme one Kirban sells? Is the Hooker sysytem sold by anyone else (cheaper? or is $350 a fair and going rate?)? Thanks Drew:)

i purchased mine from summit, i belive it was $275. As far as i was told its the same as kirbans hooker kit.
good luck,
Mike

Thats what I'm talking about! No sense spending an extra $100 for the same thing. I have seen them in Summits catalog. You run the Hooker now, are you happy with it? Drew

Even ultraflows will drone. The great thing about them is they drone at 1800 rpm. Since even the stock torque converter goes right through 1800 rpm, you rarely hear them drone. A muffler that drones at 2200 rpm you will hear drone a lot.

Guys, no disrespect meant by this but..

Am I the only one out there who likes "drone"? Hell, when I put an exhaust system on my WE4, I wanted reduced backpressure AND a more aggressive sound.

Drew: ATR SS with pitbull mufflers and be done with it. :D

Rich

The "drone" isn't the exhaust sound, but is the resonant up and down "ohmmm ohmmm" that sounds like 100 hari krishas meditating in your back seat. I like exhaust rasp and cackle and the sound of power, but a "MMMMMMMMMmmmMMMMMMMMmmmMMMMMMMM..." cruising with the cruise control on, isn't cool.

Hooker exhaust

My Hooker just arrived yesterday. No chance to put it on yet...tomorrow.
If you want loud. I had the SLP LoudMouth on my 96 Camaro SS. It was LOUD:D
I bought my Hooker from Jeg's. $279 total. They didn't ship it off on Monday like I paid for, so they sent it 1 day mail with no shipping charges:D

Doug

QuickWE4 ATR w/Pitbulls is that drone? I've done the search and although there are many opinions about what to put on the one thing that keeps coming back in agreement is the Hooker because it is quiet. Whether people like them or not for different reasons would most everyone agree that the Hooker is quiet? Drew:)

I have what I call drone, and it is definately exhaust resonance.

It occurrs at 1800 RPM (scanmaster RPM, my tach is off a bit)

It's not MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Its MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It measures 80decibels. I bought a spl (sound pressure level) meter at radio shack to
help me try to improve it. I have a Houston 2.5" stainless dual system with Ultraflows.

I have some hooker Aerochambers to try next as well as some other ideas.......

I'll let you guys know what I find.

TurboBob

TurboBob et al, I have the Hooker exhuast and Aerochambers on both my cars and I think it sounds good. I really don't hear any major drone. The sound also depends on the filter, downpipe, and cat setup. I have a test pipe on both, and the THDP on one, and a Big Mouth cold air kit on the other. The THDP definitely gives a deeper, tougher exhaust sound. And if you want to hear a vacuam cleaner on steroids, as Buick from Hell (vendor) says, add the Big Mouth kit, especially with the THDP.

Drew:

FWIW, I don't get the dreaded "drone" with my 2.5 ATR SS system. Rather, I don't get as much drone as what's been reported with some of the other systems. In fact, it's too quiet for me and I wish I had gone with the 3".

And I'll reiterate - I like drone. :D

Then again, I like rice sandwiches too so I may not be the best person to ask on this matter.

:D
Rich

I would have to say that the hooker exhaust is quiet inside the car. outside you can hear it, has a nice sound. When you get on it it also sounds good not too loud.

Mike

That is the description I was looking for! Sold! Hooker it is. When asking for this system from a vender is there a particular style mufler that I would request or if I was to say a "Hooker cat back for a Grand National" would that cover it? Drew

If you can put together a good free flowing system zero drone system, you will be a rich man.

I HATE drone, but I like to hear the engine.

I am relatively happy with the ATR 2.5 SS system, but it does have drone.:mad:

I have a 2-1/2"dual mandrel bent system. I am not sure what system it is. I believe the mufflers say "turbo" . Does anyone have any idea's ???? This system was new in 1989 bought from turbo city in california

Heheheh...You want drone, try the 3" ATR Single Shot with s/s Pitbull muffler. About 2200 or so it'll drive you batty, but it sounds mean as hell at idle or accelerating. It was annoying at first, but it's slowly growing on me. One thing about it, you get all kinda stares when ya drive by....:D :D

I have some ideas about drone-free.......

One proven recipe is Dennis Hogan's. I can't get anyone to produce it and I
don't have any fab shops convenient (I'm still looking) He started with a ATR dual
2.5" and then added a dual-pass ultraflow behind the axle. He lives way out west,
but reportedly his car runs 10's thru the system and it sounds good, no drone at all.
"on the highway all you hear is wind noise....."

Another idea is similar to ATR's cross flow. possibly use a Corsa or Magnaflow
muffler behind the axle (I think Hooker makes one too) from an F-body cat-back
and run an Edelbrock under the rear seat. Kinda like a single-shot + CrossFlow
hybrid.

Someday.......

Bob