Your opinions on carpet vendors

dhauser

The end is fear
From time to time I need to put carpet in some of the toys I sell, and have been disappointed more than once on the quality of ACC's products. I'm pretty much done buying from them unless you can convince me that I've gotten unlucky twice in a row.

What other vendors have you gotten good carpets from (talking NON TR vehicles here). I've seen 1A Auto and Trim Parts peddling stuff on ebay, with good feedback ratings, but not sure who else sells a good product.

Do you know who makes the carpets that YearOne sells? I'm thinking ACC, but not sure.

Bring on your 2 cents, please.;)

SOURCES

It'd be good to know the carpet source(s) used by Year One, Paddock, and Classic Industries.

Another approach might be to contact some high-end muscle car restoration shops.

(Problem we had with both upholstery & carpet suppliers was one shipment was a 10+, the next might be barely a 7...inconsistent quality control.)

Please keep us posted! :)

Thanks for the input Two Lane. Anyone else want to share their personal experiences?

No roll-eyes at me, Doug, ok? I've used ACC twice and both times were ok. I have loop pile in the GP and I put a cutpile in the ElCamino (now sold). I had the El Camino for 3 years and it sat in the Florida sun most of the time. Black carpet and it never faded. No tint on the windows either. What was your disappointment with ACC? I too hear tales of woe about ACC on here but personally, it's worked fine for me. I always used some house-type carpet padding underneath; never found an aftermarket molded carpet that was a perfect fit anyhow. For $99, it's hard to beat if it's still that price. APE in the northeast sells ACC; that's where my Pontiac's came from. I bet year One does also; of course you could always call and ask them. :D I bought the Elco's direct from ACC after learning that. The trans tunnel was the worst part of the fit for me; floorboards and sill plates worked out good. However, if you have a console, then it hides alot of flaws.

I put ACC carpet in the WH1 a couple of years ago. Price was very good, fit was decent, a little baggy around footwell at transmission tunnel, color has faded to an odd green in three years (VERY little sun exposure). Historically though, I don't believe black is as prone to fade or show fading. Recently I ordered new carpet for the TTA from CAR Motorsports, and this stuff appears & fits OEM. Have to see about color holdout, but the stuff looks & fits perfectly. They offer carpet for the G bodies, hopefully from the same manufacturer. I guess it's one of those "get what you pay for" deals. For $100-$125 the ACC is still a great improvement over a ratty stocker!

ACC??

My $.02... ACC quality was very poor. I removed original 13 yr old carpet and compared it to the ACC. The ACC was charcoal in color compared to the black of the old stuff. The sample of the old was a piece from an exposed area, not some from under the console, etc. Even then, the console color and the open area color was nearly identical.
The ACC fit was very poor in the rear footwells.
I've not used carpets from other than ACC, so can't comment further..:cool: :cool:

My ACC carpet is going on 4 years old and it still a perfect shade of black. Fit perfect too.

I put black ACC carpet in the GSX many years ago. It is a beautiful shade of brownish-green now.

See, this is what I was talking about. Very inconsistent quality control from ACC. I got carpet that didn't fit for $h!t twice, and I actually had to slice the carpet in the rear footwells to even get it to lay down a little bit. After two bad experiences, they don't get any more of my money. I'm just afraid that all of this stuff comes from the same manufacturer. Maybe I'll call these other guys and see where their stuff comes from. It just sux to take your interior apart and then have a carpet that looks like total crap. I even let the carpet bake in the sun for a day or two in order to let it stretch out to it's natural state before installing. Didn't matter.

Keep the opinions coming, guys. Would like to hear about any other carpet vendors you've had success with...

Any more opinions on carpet? Other vendors or opinions on the ACC carpet?

Frank, does your car see the sun? Maybe this is the difference between your car and 1970gsx's.

yea this is a factor I'm sure. My car is in a no window garage most of the time but when it does come out it is only in the summer on the sunny days:)

"CAR Motorsports" ....very nice quality !!!!!!! ACC ????? used twice....not impressed at all !!! nuff said :p

i got a 1a auto kit and it don't fit worth a crap, my interior guy made fun of me for buying it.

Originally posted by Grumpy
"CAR Motorsports" ....very nice quality !!!!!!! ACC ????? used twice....not impressed at all !!! nuff said :p

Please email him,,
if he ever replies I will buy from him........
Also ASk him a ?? thru EBAY,,if he replies,,I will buy from him..
In fact If he replies here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will buy from him
I bet I will owned and have sold at least 2 more buicks before he replies:p :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
Please email him,,
if he ever replies I will buy from him........
Also ASk him a ?? thru EBAY,,if he replies,,I will buy from him..
In fact If he replies here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will buy from him
I bet I will owned and have sold at least 2 more buicks before he replies:p :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have not been on this board in quite some time due to the demands from new baby and CAR Motorsports work. ALso, I think the owners of the board don't like vendors who aren't advertisers to even respond to posts, but I'm taking a chance here. BTW, I emailed you a couple of times, but they kept getting bounced back for some reason.

Any questions you have, I will answer. The things that set our carpets apart from ACC are (1) Fit..Molds of the actual OEM floors are used, (2) Color fastness...premium dyes and dying of carpet fibers PRIOR to assembling the carpet mean longer lasting color, (3) quality..carpets are made from PREMIUM materials, (4) Rubber Backing....Our carpets can be ordered with RUBBER Masback backing as used by Man. on many cars (Reatta, TTA, New TAs and Camaros, etc.). The rubber deadens sound and provides insulation from exhaust/tranny heat, (5) Options...we offer our carpet in an optional 1500 SUPER PLUSH carpet....double the thickness of the 800 series. Not stock like 800 which matches factory stuff, but NICE, (60 Guarantee....we stand behind our carpet. There have only been 2 really large customer problems and in both cases, we kept at it until it was right at no cost to the customers.

Feel free to email car@carmotorsports.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan, do you sell carpet for older muscle cars as well as the newer stuff? I would like a carpet vendor I can stick with, as I have needs for older muscle car carpeting (duh, see my sig! haha).

Thanks,
Doug

I bought carpet and embroidered mats from CAR. Very happy with easy installation, great fit and great color (dark blue).

Had previously used ACC in my Camaro. It sucked.