You see the new Maxim. Good and bad on the GN.

The real Maserati of the trailer park would be a '89 TTA.

There the analogy actually makes sense on many levels and not just on the "Knows nothing about cars, typical Maxim reader" level.

It was a bad analogy for the mere fact that Maseratis depreciate like a Miami condo.

Anybody who knows anything about cars would know this.

My Dad has an '89 Maserati. My '86 GN is worth TWICE as much (and cost 1/2 as much when new).

The analogy has to do with prestige, not depreciation. If Maseratis depreciate the analogy is still valid. The writer wasn't trying to illustrate depreciation similarities.

A Maserati is of extreme price to an average person as is
a Grand National to a poor person. That's the analogy.

And I hate to agree, but a GN is a total chick repellant. I live in Phoenix, which is materialistically similar to Southern Cali.

So if a GN is the Maserati of the trailer park, then is the Monte SS the Corvette? :p What about the El Camino....is it the Cadillac? :biggrin: Shoot for that matter where does a V8 S-10 fall at in here?

And I hate to agree, but a GN is a total chick repellant.

Well darn that sucks. What do I do now? Put a GN LC2 drive train into a 69 Camaro?

The analogy has to do with prestige, not depreciation. If Maseratis depreciate the analogy is still valid. The writer wasn't trying to illustrate depreciation similarities.

A Maserati is of extreme price to an average person as is
a Grand National to a poor person. That's the analogy.

...the average person that doesn't know crap about cars and wouldn't know what a Maserati looked like if they saw one....

My dad's Maserati is a great car.

A 19K mile mile, every option, DOHC Turbocharged, Intercooled 5 speed red roadster with tan leather interior... perfect in every way and he couldn't get $12K for it if he tried, which is less than 1/3 of the sticker when it was new.

You're right... If you don't know **** about cars, the Analogy makes perfect sense.

I think it was just a crappy analogy. The writer couldn't come up with a decent example that even a fifth grader could relate too. Hey guys. The Masers are at the bottom rung of the ladder when you are talking about Italian Exotic cars. Here you have a company that is trying to be BMW and Ferrari all wrapped up together. It didn't help that at one time the real bastards of European car manufacturers had owned a piece of Maserati at one time or another. The two biggest ones are Citreon and Fiat. Look at the crap they make. And I'm sure the writer was one of these anti-American, Pro-Japan car types too. Kind of like"Yeah I'm laughing at you GN owners...no I'm laughing with you...no,no wait I really am laughing at you" type of compliments. Anybody with a warped sense of humor gets it any way. If you cant laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?:cool:

...the average person that doesn't know crap about cars and wouldn't know what a Maserati looked like if they saw one....

My dad's Maserati is a great car.

A 19K mile mile, every option, DOHC Turbocharged, Intercooled 5 speed red roadster with tan leather interior... perfect in every way and he couldn't get $12K for it if he tried, which is less than 1/3 of the sticker when it was new.

You're right... If you don't know **** about cars, the Analogy makes perfect sense.

Once again UNGN, you don't have to know much about cars to understand the analogy. Most people know Maseratis are freaking expensive. Here is what you sound like.... If I said, "The Yankees are the Lakers of Baseball" the anology would be Baseballs top organization is the Yankees and Basketballs top organization is the Lakers. That's the anology. What you're currently saying is similar to saying, "But the Lakers wear gold and the Yankees wear pinstripes." Though that is true, it has nothing to do with the analogy. Just like depreciation has nothing to do with the analogy of costliness.

Once again UNGN, you don't have to know much about cars to understand the analogy. Most people know Maseratis are freaking expensive. Here is what you sound like.... If I said, "The Yankees are the Lakers of Baseball" the anology would be Baseballs top organization is the Yankees and Basketballs top organization is the Lakers. That's the anology. What you're currently saying is similar to saying, "But the Lakers wear gold and the Yankees wear pinstripes." Though that is true, it has nothing to do with the analogy. Just like depreciation has nothing to do with the analogy of costliness.

People that actually know about cars (I guess that wouldn't be you), know that Maserati's are overpriced Italian BMW's with Fiat and Citroen bits in a nice looking body that will be worthless in 10 years.

The Typical Maxim reader thinks Expensive = Good. With Maserati, Expensive = crap

As I said, someone who knows nothing about Maseratis (other than they are Expensive :rolleyes:) might think Maxim has a point.

If you actually knew about Maseratis, you would know they don't.

Also as I said earlier, the Maserati of the trailer park is a Maserati. If I looked around the trailer parks in Dallas Fort Worth, I bet I will find MORE Maseratis than I will GN's. I see a guy driving a clapped out yellow '91 Maserati at least once a month on my way to work, and I'm sure he lives in an elite residential district.

I will support the above comment.

Maserati's are like a Dodge Cummins. Tough motor, but then the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

The Gran Turismo is flat out EVIL though.

Attachments

• maserati-gran-turismo-20070221052834513.jpg
    maserati-gran-turismo-20070221052834513.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 153
I will support the above comment.

Maserati's are like a Dodge Cummins. Tough motor, but then the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

The Gran Turismo is flat out EVIL though.

A couple of my neighbors have new quattroports and they look cool and sound sweet, but every time I see them I think "I hope you are Leasing it".

The MC12 is a badass car, too, but those are Ferrari's charity case.

Just goes to show that Maxim does'nt know anything...

...Pyromania was a WAY BETTER album than that pop-crap Hysteria!!!

Maserati, Blob. Maserati.

whoa... It's like I could see into the future....

Best. Post. Ever.

Anyway, I think you guys are getting way too deep in the subject. It was a good read though. It took me three tries to get through English I in high school so I didn't know crap about analogies until I read this thread. Thanks for the lesson.

There's nothing to get upset about, we should all know by now our TRs will never be a status symbol car, or a car worshipped by mainstream America. 99% of the population doesnt even know what a TR is exactly, and that same 99% of the population would see a cheap 4 cylinder C class Mercedes or a 318 BMW and think it has more status than any TR or even a GNX.:eek:

Maserati, Blob. Maserati.

You say Maserati... I say Maseratti. :)

Here's why it's the perfect analogy.

The guy was clearly trying to make the point that to the trailer crowd a GN is an "exotic". The best widely recognized examples of exotics are the Italian cars Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Maserati.

Ferrari and Lamborghini, though, are generally recognized as pure sports cars (yes, I know Ferrari makes some GT-type cars but the general impression of Ferrari's is F430's and Enzo's) and the GN is no sports car.

Maserati, on the other hand, is actually better known for their GT cars of which mold the GN better fits.

You can argue all day long about the resale value of 20 yr old Maserati's but the fact is that you cannot buy a new one for probably less than $100K so, whether you want to admit it or not, it's an exotic.

The Maserati has also been celebrated in song by Joe Walsh, Ted Nugent, and Blue Oyster Cult... all in the context of it being a car to aspire to.

Face it, it was a good analogy.