You see the new Maxim. Good and bad on the GN.

UNGN... the article didn't say a GN is the 1987 Maserrati of the trailer park. Maserati is synonymous with very very expensive and luxurious. Like if they said "The GN is the Gucci of the trailer park" and you replied, "My friend bought a ragged, crapped on, 40 year old Gucci shoe for $10". You're not making any sense.

Maserati Quatroporte
Maserati Gran Turismo
Maserati Gran Sport

All over $100K with Ferrari powerplants.

My point is that the Maserati of the trailer park is a Maserati. You don't find Lambo's or Ferrari's in trailer parts, but you do find Maseratis in them.

My co worker did. For $400.

They may be synonymous with very very expensive and luxurious, but they don't hold their value for crap.

Unlike a Ferrari.

My point is that the Maserati of the trailer park is a Maserati. You don't find Lambo's or Ferrari's in trailer parts, but you do find Maseratis in them.

My co worker did. For $400.

They may be synonymous with very very expensive and luxurious, but they don't hold their value for crap.

Unlike a Ferrari.

Does it do 185? ;)

Well maxim caters to the metrosexual male no suprise they said what they said, but I'll say this "as we all know a red blooded TR owner is not afraid to get dirt under his fingernails every now and then" :)

I'm suprised we even got a mention out of that mag

Real red blooded TR owners read PLAYBOY not maxim.

When you think about it, the TR's skipped that chapter. They were costly when new, never really depreciated into Monte SS or IROC territory and then shot back up in value, LOL.

I would have to agree. Back when I saw GN's they were Drivin by guy's in thier mid 30's & up. I was 27/28 when the Intercooled ones came out & could not afford one :(

They were too expensive for the trailer park crowd back then.

Come on Little6pack. You don't know what an analogy is either.

Trailer parks mean your poor. So a GN to a poor person would be like a $125,000 Maserati to an average income person. Get it now? Someone who lives in a trailer in 87 would look at a GN and say, "Wow, that's a really expensive car" just as an average income person would see a Maserati and say, "Wow, that's a really expensive car".

Get it now?

Does it do 185? ;)

no, and the one Joe Walsh sang about didn't do 185, either.

Maserati's throughout time have been the Cadillac of sports cars.

So a 1970's or 1980's Maserati is worth about as much as similar condition Cadillac from the same year... about nothing.

A typical 80's TR is worth more than a typical 80's Maserati, though the Maserati cost twice, new.

Maserati's are one of the worst sports cars for holding their value. Worse than even obscure sports cars, like Morgans.

Someone making a comparison of a Maserati to a GN, doesn't know much about cars.

Maserati what?

My coworker bought a 1985 Biturbo for $400. Because it was a couple months ago that doesn't count for "these days" anymore? Maybe it would sell for $425, today.

Saying Maseratis go for over $100,000 these days is like saying Camaros go for over $500,000 these days because a ZL-1 sold for for that at Barrett Jackson.

That doesn't mean that an '86 Iroc is worth $500K or even $500.

X2! I had a Maserati Biturbo given to me for free once. It was only about 10 yrs old at the time. Professor at UofI just let me have it because it didn't run. I never fixed it and wound up giving away to someone else just to get rid of it!

Come on Little6pack. You don't know what an analogy is either.

Trailer parks mean your poor. So a GN to a poor person would be like a $125,000 Maserati to an average income person. Get it now? Someone who lives in a trailer in 87 would look at a GN and say, "Wow, that's a really expensive car" just as an average income person would see a Maserati and say, "Wow, that's a really expensive car".

Get it now?

Nope don't get it.. sounds like sensationalism on the medias part. Where I lived there were no trailer parks. But when I moved to New hampshire I was like wow I thought the south moved north!

Wow, *shakes head in disappointment*

This thread has not only illustrated that some TB'ers can't understand a simple analogy, it's also managed to let some members reinforce the very stereotype Maxim espoused.

I think if some of you left the heartland for a big ol' city, one with folks that have money, you might see that a GN isn't exactly considered super desirable. Even a very nice low mile GN going for lets say 30k... wow, 30k.. big deal, that's chump change to upwardly mobile professionals in any major city (like for example the editors of Maxim).

I'm just an blue collar aircraft mechanic living in one and it's very evident to even me.

To give you some perspective, I live halfway between San Diego and L.A.. Over here, like anywhere, you get attention for your car if you are driving a turbo buick. Let me tell you what the typical profile is for the type of person giving me 'props' for my car

Usually they are driving a beat up 92 chevy 1500 pickup truck. Unshaven, cigarette dangling from their mouth. Some construction equipment in the bed. They will pull up next to me and say something like "DANGGG THAT ONE OF THEM GRAND NASHUNALS!"

Or, they are some street thugs

Or, they are street racer types driving a 4th gen F body with no muffler

and finally, my FAVORITE; homeless people yes, I have had numerous homeless people walk up to me in parking lots, their eyes light up as they recognize the car. Through a drunken, toothless, and showerless stench and haze I get the idea they like my car "hooooweeee aint this one of them turboz!? Thats a bad sumbitch man! Can you give me a ride to (insert destination here) or if not can you spare some change?"

Ill tell you who DOESN'T give me any attention whatsoever, and infact, I get sneers

Anyone driving a European car. Even if they race me and I smoke them. (turbo porsche rolled up his tinted windows and cruised by)

Anyone driving a nice Japanese car

Anyone driving a nice American car (some rare exceptions)

Anyone in that is female, actually the buick is almost chick repellant.

So, to sum things up, yes, our cars are the Maserati of the trailer park. No it doesn't quite matter that someones uncles brothers cousin got one from a trailer park in corn country. Just about any lay person will still assess more value to a Maserati, and indeed most maseratis are worth many multiples of thousands of dollars more than most turbo buicks.

Does that mean I don't like my car because I understand this reality? Hell no. I understand I have a niche interest that may unfortunately attract some unsavory characters. I'm not kidding myself about the "prestige" of owning one though like some here.

Wow, *shakes head in disappointment*

So, to sum things up, yes, our cars are the Maserati of the trailer park. No it doesn't quite matter that someones uncles brothers cousin got one from a trailer park in corn country. Just about any lay person will still assess more value to a Maserati, and indeed most maseratis are worth many multiples of thousands of dollars more than most turbo buicks.

It was a bad analogy for the mere fact that Maseratis depreciate like a Miami condo.

Anybody who knows anything about cars would know this.

My Dad has an '89 Maserati. My '86 GN is worth TWICE as much (and cost 1/2 as much when new).

Yep!

The metrosexual comment was funny because it's true. :p

The editors there had no clue and I'd put my money on Playboy or Penthouse to have writers and editors with more car knowledge as well.

And of course much better photo taking capabilities. :cool:

The "article" was written by an ill-informed car enthusiast for sure, but what else would you really expect from Maxim? Certainly not a beaver shot. :eek: :eek: :p

And your average lay person is a car retard, the "reality" is that people both rich and poor with half a brain can understand what a TR is, was, and can be. :p

Maserati of the trailer park is nothing more than a cheap shot.