You guys are pretty sharp...

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Spent all morning looking for an EFI adjustable bypassing fuel regulator with 1/2" NPT inlet that can be mounted directly to one of the (1/2" NPT) billet fuel rails on my LS-418" build. I've come to the conclusion that they just aren't made. I want this as simple as possible, an ORB fitting will need adapters and have potentially more leak points, besides looking "Rubed out". So, failing to find one, can I take one with a -6 ORB, bore it out and tap it to 1/2" pipe? The numbers say so, but without a regulator in hand, I couldn't guess as to whether there's enough "meat" in the wall to support this. Besides, I'd like to have a -8 outlet and all I've seen so far have the same inlet and outlet sizes...

TIA!

dont know why all the drama of no adapter ... a 1/2 npt to 1/2npt is still an adapter
just do the 10orb and 1/2 npt adapter and screw the 10orb bypass regulator onto the rail and use a 10orb to 8an fitting for the return to tank

dont know why all the drama of no adapter ... a 1/2 npt to 1/2npt is still an adapter
just do the 10orb and 1/2 npt adapter and screw the 10orb bypass regulator onto the rail and use a 10orb to 8an fitting for the return to tank

My bad, the pipe threads on my rails are 3/8, not 1/2.

Yeah, but a pipe nipple is a rigid connection that requires no support bracket. I'm looking at that as an option, w/o a F-F swivel I can foresee all kinds of "clocking" problems. There's a 1 in 360 chance it'll end up in exactly the position that's most suitable.

Do you think a single -6 feed & return line with fittings is enough for (8) 42# injectors and ~600 FWHP?

depends on what you try to feed it with from the tank
i have a 125gph pump (at 70psi ..higher flow at idle) and no issues with -06AN bypass regulator and -06 return line, by no issues i mean i have no problem getting to a 43psi base and still get an 8psi drop with vacuum line connected

I have a pro Aeromotive regulator on my rail. I used an o-ringed fitting style fitting up against the regulator as specified and the other side has NPT threads. Then I twisted it on the rail with thread sealer and stopped when it was tight. It didn't stop where I wanted. So I backed it off and tapped the the rail another 1/4 turn. Then I did it again. When it was right, I left it alone. See below.
IMG_0093.JPG

I have a pro Aeromotive regulator on my rail. I used an o-ringed fitting style fitting up against the regulator as specified and the other side has NPT threads. Then I twisted it on the rail with thread sealer and stopped when it was tight. It didn't stop where I wanted. So I backed it off and tapped the the rail another 1/4 turn. Then I did it again. When it was right, I left it alone. See below.

Joey,

Looks nice! Is the reg fully supported by the rail? Can't tell, but it looks like a support bracket surrounding the reg...

Joey,

Looks nice! Is the reg fully supported by the rail? Can't tell, but it looks like a support bracket surrounding the reg...
No, it's just twisted on the rail. 9 years or so and never leaked. The fitting is all you need. Be sure to get a good amount threads in. It just takes a few times to get it right (twist, check it, take it off, tap a quarter turn, twist it on again, repeat, and repeat again, and repeat again) a little at a time. I mocked up my whole intake on the work bench. everything was checked for fit and finish. I needed to order 2 passenger side fuel rails (they are shorter) from Champion to make it work. I know your not building a V6 but there is a lot to consider when jamming all this stuff neatly on the top of a motor.

Getting ready to order and cannot find a -6 ORB x 3/8" NPT fitting. Still looking if anyone has a part number, black preferred. Failing that, can I take a regular straight 6AN x 3/8" pipe adapter, chuck it in the lathe, turn off the taper, and stick an o-ring on it?

This is about the best I can find. A 6AN ORB to 6AN flare for the regulator, then a 6AN female to 3/8" NPT male adapter for the rail end. Any better options than this?

On another note, I removed the old fuel fittings today, and 3 out 4 were galled in the rails to the point they were ruined. Luckily, the rails were OK being hard anodized. They appeared to be properly done, with Teflon paste as a sealant/lubricant. So, what is the correct sealer to use so this doesn't happen again?

Last edited:
Getting ready to order and cannot find a -6 ORB x 3/8" NPT fitting. Still looking if anyone has a part number, black preferred. Failing that, can I take a regular straight 6AN x 3/8" pipe adapter, chuck it in the lathe, turn off the taper, and stick an o-ring on it?

Do it this way. This is exactly what I did. I just forgot I did it until you mentioned it. Like I said earlier, it hasn't leaked in 9 years. I don't have a lathe. I just used the bench grinder and I did a nice little radius on the inside with a rat tailed file.

On another note, I removed the old fuel fittings today, and 3 out 4 were galled in the rails to the point they were ruined. Luckily, the rails were OK being hard anodized. They appeared to be properly done, with Teflon paste as a sealant/lubricant. So, what is the correct sealer to use so this doesn't happen again?

Yes, the same happened to one of mine me when removing fittings from the rails. But in my case it was the rail's threads that were damaged. I had to run the tap through it to straiten it out. Teflon automotive paste sealant is fine. Just don't kill it twisting it in. You should be fine.

Do it this way. This is exactly what I did. I just forgot I did it until you mentioned it. Like I said earlier, it hasn't leaked in 9 years. I don't have a lathe. I just used the bench grinder and I did a nice little radius on the inside with a rat tailed file.

Yes, the same happened to one of mine me when removing fittings from the rails. But in my case it was the rail's threads that were damaged. I had to run the tap through it to straiten it out. Teflon automotive paste sealant is fine. Just don't kill it twisting it in. You should be fine.

Parts are ordered. I'm worried on the galling issues, the previous owner did everything exactly the way I would have done it . The fittings didn't seem too tight, in fact, they started out fairly easy then got worse as they unscrewed...

Parts are ordered. I'm worried on the galling issues, the previous owner did everything exactly the way I would have done it . The fittings didn't seem too tight, in fact, they started out fairly easy then got worse as they unscrewed...
Could it be the alky in the fuel? Pump gas or E-85?
Is it possible that there was some corrosion on the first few threads and as the fitting was backed out it began ripping away as it went?

It's no problem to trim one, a 2 minute lathe job. That's the way I'm gonna do it, with the trimmed AN to pipe on the rail. Hopefully, these fittings won't gall in the rail...

Thanks!

It's no problem to trim one, a 2 minute lathe job. That's the way I'm gonna do it, with the trimmed AN to pipe on the rail. Hopefully, these fittings won't gall in the rail...

Thanks!
Was I correct? Trimming is required isn't it? If I remember way back, there is an obstruction inside the regulator that requires the taper to be removed from the fitting to be sure you get great fuel flow throughout. If not, it still doesn't hurt.

Was I correct? Trimming is required isn't it? If I remember way back, there is an obstruction inside the regulator that requires the taper to be removed from the fitting to be sure you get great fuel flow throughout. If not, it still doesn't hurt.

I don't have the parts yet, but looking at pix of the regulator, the female threaded port area looks too shallow to be able to run a straight AN fitting. Think it'll be bumping the rear wall before fully tightening...

I don't have the parts yet, but looking at pix of the regulator, the female threaded port area looks too shallow to be able to run a straight AN fitting. Think it'll be bumping the rear wall before fully tightening...
Yep, that's what I remembered.

i just looked at the 6an bypass i have on shelf and there is no issue using AN with an oring into the regulator ,