yet another oiling system and ring end gap question.

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
Ive been reading the past few days it been a while since i was last on these forums.

My motor is pretty much built strictly for race

109 block,Eagle crank, crower rods, JE pistons, girdle, billet mains, Hyd roller cam/lifters.

These are .020 pistons I see some people use a .020 gap on the rings but didnt see any info for the oil rings. So what end gap to use?

Also i read earl browns oil pump mod. I see a lot of people against the high volume kit and people that do use it hardly chime in. I am expecting some 9-high 8 second times with this motor. Some people run the duttweiler pump. What i cant find is the answer to why you would run one setup and not another.

The only time I would alter from stock oiling (ported cover and blueprinted pump) is when I build an On-Center StageII and need to externally feed the oil pump. I used the TA High Volume pump cover and ended up pegging the oil pressure gauge at idle. Mike has fixed the issue now by timing the by-pass discharge port better. I should have used the stock volume gears. I might switch over on the next build. It would FILL the passenger valve cover with by-passed oil after temporarily routing a -8 return line into the valvecover. This happened in a just about 20 seconds at idle.:eek: The stock pump can flow alot of oil. Just have to set the timing cover/pump up right. If you have poor oil pressure and you set the timing cover up correctly, you have a clearance issue or an internal leak. Nothing wrong with the stock timing cover if it's prepped correctly. I usually spend about 3-5 hours setting up a stock timing cover. TA sells a timing cover they CNC machine in house. Might be a good place to start.