"Y" Pipe

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
My car is almost ready to start - just tackling the vac lines.

Do the vac lines have to be a certain length - i'm referring to the "Y" hose or the hose that goes from the wastegate (D/S Port) to the bottom of the turbo and Tee's off to the wastegate solenoid in between.

The OEM one I bought at a GM dealer last year (when I was putting it all back together for the 1st time) is way too long and just clutters the space under the throttle body.

I'd like to cut it shorter on each end (keeping the plastic "Y" of course) and make it less cumbersome.

Anyone see a problem here ?

Length doesn't matter, I ran mine inside the car to my bleeder valve with no problem. The only thing that matters is that you keep the restrictor in the Y on the right hose.

Thanks Cool 84.

I kind of figured that...but felt funny about cutting it due to the "Y" in that part of the vacuum lines.

Originally posted by cool 84
Length doesn't matter, I ran mine inside the car to my bleeder valve with no problem. The only thing that matters is that you keep the restrictor in the Y on the right hose.
Whats up with the restrictor in the "Y" and what do I look for to make sure Ive got it and not just a regular vac "Y" from Auto Zone (which is what I think I have).

My car didn't have one on it when I bought it 2 yrs. ago.
I have never even seen this mysterious "Y" thingy.
My car seems to run fine without it.
What exactly does it do, and why does my car work without it?

With the vacuum lines off you can see a metal restrictor in the Y. Turbo spools much faster with the correct restrictor. Too big or not there it spools slow. Too small it overboosts or overshoots and then comes back down.

I think there's a thread in the tech area. If not I'm sure a search will turn it up. If I remember right, there's two different restrictors from the factory and only one works right. There's been debate on that.

GM still stocks and sells it. Sorry I dont have the part #.

I bought mine last fall. The problem here (reson for the thread) is that the hose on either end of the "Y" are all too long and clutter up the space under the TB.

I just wanted to know is it ok to trim them down a bit. Seems now to be a bit of a dumb question I guess....

I don't think you can ge it from the dealer any more but I could be wrong. I do know that Kirbans has some though.