Xylene & gasoline seperation

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
Curiosity question..

How fast does xylene usually seperate and settle to the bottom of the fuel tank?

If I mix up some home brew fuel, and the car sits during the week, should I expect problems starting it after it sits for any amount of time?

That I know. I'm just wondering if its not a good idea to leave the car sit for any amount of time with xylene in the fuel mixture; fearing that it'll settle and not want to start.

Thanks Carl.

I wasnt sure about its density versus gasoline and if it would seperate. I'd hate to have it sit with xylene in the fuel for a while, then draw pure xylene through the pump upon next startup. It surely wouldnt start too easy. :cool:

Originally posted by GrndNatnl

I wasnt sure about its density versus gasoline and if it would separate.

Basic chemistry. Xylene is soluble in gasoline. Once it is in solution, it will never separate out. Now, if you tried to mix in water...

Cool. Really didnt know much about the stuff other then its a great octane booster and fuel system cleaner. :D

Thank you.

Oh sure, I use the word chemistry and start talking about solubilities and everyone's eyes glaze over and no one ever responds and the thread dies. You do it and get not one but two responses. :eek: :)

You can get xylene at paint stores and Home Depot/Lowes type places.

If you have a company owned Duron Paint store nearby you can get xylene (xylol) there for a decent price. Mention account number 11-72310 (Duron Racing) and a gallon will cost you about $5.80. You can also use this account for other painting purchases.

I have that account number! Was given it by Accardi Performance. Havent used it yet, since the Duron near my work claimed they do not stock xylene. Apparently its "seasonal" or some crap. I havent walked in yet. I'm willing to bet its on the shelf. I was actually inquiring about 5-gallon buckets over the phone.

I didnt know it would be THAT cheap with the account number. Thats an awsome price.

How much of this stuff do you put into your gas? And how much will it raise the octane say i start with 94 octane. Also does it do any harm to the injectors, im assuming it dosent because everyone uses but I could be wrong

No more than 30% xylene mix. Add 0.5 ounze of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of xylene. It will not hurt your injectors, it will clean them.

Example using seven gallons of 94 octane plus three gallons of xylene (117 octane):

(7x94=658) + (3x117=351) = 658 + 351 = 1009
1009 divided by 10 gallons = 100.9 octane mix

Dump in 4 gallons of xylene, and fill the rest of the tank up with 94 and you have a full tank of ~ 99 octane. Splash in some MMO with the xylene solution.

Exhaust smells really good too. :D Kinda like a race fuel of its own.