Would you do heads on my combo?

buickrob

I was running 26 psi a lot last year after adding the alky kit. I guess a lot is relative because I only put 300 miles on the car last year so how much could really have been at 26 psi. Anyway, I'm getting a little smoking now at startup, guessing valve seals. The car has around 95k on it.

I've been thinking of doing some ported/bigger valve iron heads. Think I should? If I do heads I guess I would have to do a bigger throttle body, ported plenum and ported intake manifold. Where does it stop, I'd need a cam at that point and then probably a stage 2 trans and bigger converter.

Seems like a lot to do just because of a puff of smoke :biggrin: I honestly just don't know where to draw the line. Doing heads makes me feel I need all that other stuff. Honestly my goal was always a high 11 second drag radial alky car on the street. All this stuff would probably push 10s.

All in all, heads make sense because of the smoking. A cam makes sense because the timing chain could be original (no idea, I bought the car at 80k miles).

Thoughts?

Decisions, decisions

Yes you do have a decision to make, where do you stop. I don't normally chime in on these things but in this case I've been there. Sounds like your dealing with a motor that's never been opened up. If so with 95K and your racing and pushing 26lbs. it's probably about time to think about a rebuild before it comes apart on it's own. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and do it all at once and do it right. If you piece meal it you could end up spending twice as much...like I did.

If you're a member of the GS club or know anyone who is, there is a great article in there Jan/Feb mag. on building a fast reliable TR. I know there are lots or recipies out there but this one in my opinion is one of the best. A lot of the stuff you already have.

I say do the heads, intake, roller cam, pistons, billet mains,...the works, and be done with it. I know this means some pretty strong chance but in the long run you'll be glad you did.

Max out your current combo first. ;) 60lb inj, bigger pump BB Turbo etc.:smile: You don't need a bigger TB until you hit low 10's

fix what ya have to just run high 11s.. You are thinking about opening up the biggest can of worms (MONEY PIT) you have ever dreamed of :eek: :p keep it simple!!

If all you're getting is a little bit of smoke on initial startup, all I'd do is the valve seals...and they can done on the car with the Kirbans valve spring tool.

If it's only a little smoke on startup I wouldn't jump to change anything just yet especially if your goals are "only" high 11's, you're probably there already. I'd wait until you have a reason for the heads to come off like a headgasket or actually hurt the motor before opening it up. There are a number of stock longblock cars that have been in the 10's before, so you aren't quite at a roadblock yet.

When I was building motors we used to discourage people from putting anything other than o-ring seals on street/ strip engines. Remember, that small amount of smoke may be unsightly but its feeding some of the most important parts. Turbo valves get very hot and I would rather have more oil in the guides than less. Nasty things happen when a valve sticks. Just my 2 cents.

How about finding an engine on the side and slowly assembling they parts for it while you still have you car running? You could refine you combo some and have fun with your car. When your ready (or if you hurt this engine) you can plunk in the replacement. I know of at least 2 guys with that plan.;)

Thanks guys, I might do springs and o-rings/seals and leave the rest for now.

How about finding an engine on the side and slowly assembling they parts for it while you still have you car running? You could refine you combo some and have fun with your car. When your ready (or if you hurt this engine) you can plunk in the replacement. I know of at least 2 guys with that plan.;)

Funny thing, I thought about doing this last night. Found a local motor that already has a buyer. If that falls through I think I will get it.