Would this stereo work in a GN?

BlackMetal

It works in terms of being a 1.5 din, but I read in an older thread that you have to be careful in terms of whether the stereo runs off 12v or data link, something like that. Would this work with the typical wiring adapter that we run with stereos in our cars, or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DEH-P47...ryZ39762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd assume if they designed it as 1.5din which is popular for GM and Chrysler that they also designed it to work with the 12v hookup, but I can't afford a $200 assumption.

I'd like something a little fancier than the newer GM CD players that most people recommend, but I'll settle for a Delco if those really are easier to install/run.

go for it

this pioneer radio will fit perfectlly,just use mounting brackets off your oem radio(also keep up with which bracket is left and which bracket is right when taking off oem radio,very important)i looked at pics,make sure he has the plug and harness for that radio,i didnt see it,it will be almost impossible to find the right plug.most newer GM radios turn on by a data link signal from computer,all aftermarket radios are ok, i hope this helps,any questions,let me know(ive only been installing radio's going on twenty years now) dern,im getting old......

I have that exact same unit in our GN. Fits perfectly - works flawlessly. Garyk is correct, use the OEM brackets from the original radio. I also used the oem bolt studs as they seemed more sturdy than the replacements that came with the unit.

That's one hell of a price considering new they were $250. :eek:
I got mine barely used from a fellow here on the board that changed his mind and went back with the factory unit on his mint GN. He got it from Crutchfield and already had the wiring harness adaptor kit. Plug and play.

Replaced all the CSII speakers with Pioneer 2-ways...it sounds great. Only drawback I have found so far is that the power antenna goes up when the CD is running.

Anything else you need to know, feel free to ask.

zeus87gn said:
Only drawback I have found so far is that the power antenna goes up when the CD is running.

There might be 2 remote turn on wires in the back of the plug. One is blue with a white stripe and the other is just a blue wire. If you have these 2 wires just switch them to the power antenna turn on lead. It will lower your antenna while listening to a CD

Dennis F said:
There might be 2 remote turn on wires in the back of the plug. One is blue with a white stripe and the other is just a blue wire. If you have these 2 wires just switch them to the power antenna turn on lead. It will lower your antenna while listening to a CD
Can't say I remember seeing that, but I will certainly double check.
Thanks for the tip!

Pioneer will only have the blue wire (amp turn on) and not a dedicated power antenna wire. Alpines, Eclipse, Panasonic and the lot will have both.

Adam

Yeah I was planning on swapping some speakers too, I'm looking forward to it. :cool: Is it hard to get into the door panels to swap the front speakers? Does that Concert Sound cover just pull off?

I won't have to worry about the power antenna operation, my GN doesn't have a power one.

This is the wiring harness I'll need, correct?
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/par1612to21p.html

So GaryK, you say ANY new aftermarket stereo works? Because your reply in someone else's thread you posted "also it turns on by data link, not an 12 volt ign source.find a cd from 1990-1997". Had me thinking that a radio made after 1997 couldn't be used?

Thanks for the replies so far.

The plug to the factory harness looks correct.
I want to say the plug into the radio was a single connection. You may want to contact them and find out if it is applicable to the unit.
If you get the radio, it should come with a pigtail plug setup.
Just get a pigtail and wire them per the schematic in the instructions.
If you don't get the instructions, let me know. I still have mine and I can scan them to you.

I got mine pre-wired. The fellow I got it from did a nice job soldering and shrinkwrapping. I guess I lucked out. :biggrin:

Well I wasn't specifically bidding on that radio I posted, I was just linking to that auction to ask if that radio would work in general. I'll look around eBay and see if any other ones come with wiring and such. There's a few for sale advertised as unused/unopened, so that's probably my best bet to get everything I'll need.

"data link turn on" only refers to new gm radios,dont have to worry about aftermarket stereos,they are universal in installation,good luck,that radio looked like a bargain,just make sure it has its harness(it wires to the metra harness)so its plug and play..... ;)

So Pioneer head unit > Pioneer wiring > Metra harness > factory wiring and I should be good?

Any advice on replacing speakers? Does changing the door speakers require door panel removal, or does the little Concert Sound cover come off to reveal the speaker?

I like that guy's ad on ebay. "VERY RARE! NO LONGER MADE!" :rolleyes: Um, Pioneer still lists it. Crutchfield, etc still sells it. Looks like a nice unit. Only thing I wouldn't like about it is that it won't play MP3's or CD-RW's. The wiring adapter that was listed earlier in this thread, most shops should be able to get something similar. Can also get that exact same thing from a GM dealer for the same price on that page.

David

Yeah, I would sort of like MP3 playback, that's why I was clarifying with garyk whether I could use an even newer stereo. Problem being I would need to find a dash kit to run a 1.0 DIN sized head unit. When it comes to 1.5 DINs, I've only seen about 3 or 4 to choose from, and none of them have newer features like MP3 reading.

So I either get a 1.5 DIN and have an easy install with limited features, or I have to hunt down a "fit kit" to use a DIN size stereo, but I'd be able to have a nicer head unit. Not 100% sure if it's worth spending more and doing a more complex install just to run a DIN unit with more features.

Anyways, does anyone have any websites, or advice of their own, for the actual install of the stereo and speakers? I haven't gone out to my car to check it out on my own, so I don't really know how to pull the head unit or get to the door speakers, etc.

turbo 6, you do need to pull lower door panels to install speakers(the c/s 2 grilles are screwed from the back.)remove two screws in door arm rest pad,slide pad forward and lift out,there are two screws hidden behind pad remove them,now carefully unsnap door panel botom around the front,back,and botom edge,slide door panel forward to clear inside door handle,also go with a din unit if thats what you want,there are dash kits and there is plenty of room for the radio to mount flush,theres no reason the radio has to stick out past the trim bezel :confused: (ive installed hundreds in g bodys)go to a good local stereo shop (not a bestbuy,circutcity,they are not concerned with someone who wants advice,they just want to sell you something)and ask for help buying the parts you need(i own one and i dont mind helping the do- it -yourselfer)remember to get the polarity correct(+/-)if you wire one speaker wrong,it reduces you bass output(we need all the bass from these poorly designed systems already that our buicks have)if you take out any speakers heres gm speaker color codes;

LF+ = TAN
LF- = GREY
RF+ = LT/GREEN
RF- = DK/GREEN

LR+ = BROWN
LR- = YELLOW
RR+ = DK/BLUE
RR- = LT/BLUE

let me know if this helps,
Gary

Turbo6Chicago said:
Yeah, I would sort of like MP3 playback, that's why I was clarifying with garyk whether I could use an even newer stereo. Problem being I would need to find a dash kit to run a 1.0 DIN sized head unit. When it comes to 1.5 DINs, I've only seen about 3 or 4 to choose from, and none of them have newer features like MP3 reading.

So I either get a 1.5 DIN and have an easy install with limited features, or I have to hunt down a "fit kit" to use a DIN size stereo, but I'd be able to have a nicer head unit. Not 100% sure if it's worth spending more and doing a more complex install just to run a DIN unit with more features.

Anyways, does anyone have any websites, or advice of their own, for the actual install of the stereo and speakers? I haven't gone out to my car to check it out on my own, so I don't really know how to pull the head unit or get to the door speakers, etc.

If you are looing for a din&1/2 model with more options, look into the deh-p77dh. It plays cd-r's, but I'm not sure about the mp3's. For only $40 more, it's a hec of alot more flexible for upgrading.

Thanks for the awesome reply gary, I was about to subscribe to Alldata so I could get the wiring colors but you saved the day.

Suprisingly circuit city caries both ends of the Metra harnesses (to the vehicle and to the stereo) and they also have a fairly simply dash kit to fit a DIN size. I'm about to order online and do the in-store pickup.

Sucks that I have to take off the door panel, I hate worrying about breaking clips.

There are clips in the trim around the stereo as well, correct? I have to remove that to get to the mounting bolts?

One last question regarding head unit and speakers. I want the speaker to exceed the power output of the head unit, correct? I.E. if the head unit is 17w RMS with 50w peak, a speaker with 20wRMS and 100w peak will do the trick? Or does that mean the speaker requires exactly that input?

dont worry about door panel clips too much, autozone/advance auto parts carry clips in the "help" section.i usually replace them if the look worn.
yes clips in radio bezel too,they are metal so usually they stay in the subdash,just retrieve them out after radio is out and reinstall to bezel, note:the radio srews are 7mm(4)

the best advice is to get the medium grade speakers(not least exspensive or most)wattage rating like you said are exzaggerated on most speakers/radios.i recommend pioneer,clarion,alpine,etc for speakers(at thier rating go for 100 watt rms or greater)they have a higher quality magnets in turn this means they are smaller and gives you the clearence you need in the doors to clear regulator and dash depth issues....door speaker holder accepts 5 1/4'' fwiw...

Do I just pop off the plastic bezel around the radio, or the entire gray interior dash trim around it? Sorry, I took a look out in the garage and I can't figure out where to start.

its the black/grey trim piece that goes around the radio and a/c controls (very thin and plastic,be careful)...it just snaps out, get behind bezel ( i use a plastic pry stick, but you can use flathead screwdriver,becarefull not to sratch/break bezel)and it will snap strait out,how hard you have to pull depends on how many times its been out,the clips start out very tight but usually over time they loosen up....

Thanks, I finally realized what to do while you were replying, I feel dumb haha. Got the bezel off, looks pretty straight forward from here. I'm out of questions for now, thanks a million!