WOULD THIS BE A GOOD TURBO CAM??? NOT!!!!!

Does the TA block use the same bearing bore location? Changing one aspect will snow ball everything. The geometry will change. Just raising the cam bore a little has a huge effect on the cam journal size potential which will allow the use of the correct masters for the aggressive lobes. Turbo guys will need a core with typically a 112-114 LS. The cores could be made with 112-113 and likely be ground to have a couple degrees either way. Raising it will give an advantage for sure on applications that want to squeeze the most out of their combos.

Thats a good question but I would first think about opening up the bores to accept .906 lifter body. Not sure how much material is left on the valley.

Allan G.
I would consider going to a larger lifter body automatic.

With a geardrive, you're only changing the mounting plate and idler gear location for a raised cam. Both, a piece of cake.

There were some Stage II blocks that had raised cam bores. I think Prasad has one and I was told Don Cruz has one too. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison and maybe take a couple of pics to show how it was done. There is a fair amount of work entailed to get it right. I don't think I'd want to try to take a block with a standard height cam bore and offset it. It's opening a can of worms. It would be easier to either run a 2.200" BBC rod journal and shrink the big end or the rod a bit for more clearance or run a bit less stroke.

Neal

This wouldn't be the sort of mod for most. But, for Mike? I'm sure ideas are flying.

There were some Stage II blocks that had raised cam bores. I think Prasad has one and I was told Don Cruz has one too. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison and maybe take a couple of pics to show how it was done. There is a fair amount of work entailed to get it right. I don't think I'd want to try to take a block with a standard height cam bore and offset it. It's opening a can of worms. It would be easier to either run a 2.200" BBC rod journal and shrink the big end or the rod a bit for more clearance or run a bit less stroke.

Neal
That journal trick would work real nice on an odd-fire. Not so sure on a max effort, stroked even-fire.

Neal

Shrinking the big end would not really be wise considering the already thin area joining the rod throws. Would rather reduce the stroke. Still would like to know how much trouble I would be in with my existing 3.59 stroke.

Allan G.

Shrinking the big end would not really be wise considering the already thin area joining the rod throws. Would rather reduce the stroke. Still would like to know how much trouble I would be in with my existing 3.59 stroke.

Allan G.

Allan,

The crank I bought from the guy that was running this cam set up was a 3.580" stroke. The rods are a set of titanium Crowers. I can send you pics so you can compare them to the ones you have and see the additional clearancing. As far as running a BBC on a long stroke even fire crank it works fine. I had some 3.625" Crower billets that they made by mistake with 2.200" rod journals instead of 2.250" journals. They all got used and are working fine. I wouldn't want to run a SBC journal though.

Neal

That journal trick would work real nice on an odd-fire. Not so sure on a max effort, stroked even-fire.

The Odd fire cranks I've seen all had 2.100" journals. I always wanted to take an Odd fire crank and offset grind it myself to increase the stroke length in hopes of building a 300" motor. I don't have the time or money to pursue it though.

Neal

750H.P.V6 said:
Allan,

The crank I bought from the guy that was running this cam set up was a 3.580" stroke. The rods are a set of titanium Crowers. I can send you pics so you can compare them to the ones you have and see the additional clearancing. As far as running a BBC on a long stroke even fire crank it works fine. I had some 3.625" Crower billets that they made by mistake with 2.200" rod journals instead of 2.250" journals. They all got used and are working fine. I wouldn't want to run a SBC journal though.

Neal

I would like to see those pictures if you don't mind. I am forming a long range plan for my next build.
Allan G

Neal, i have always wanted to get near the 300 inch mark as well. Ever since i saw how they were getting 900+ inch mountain motors with 1" spaces between the heads and blocks and different offset bore spacing on the blocks. Let's start a R&D Fund.

Not sure why you need such a big cam....I can see durability dropping off real fast at .900 lift??? Or not?

Not sure why you need such a big cam....I can see durability dropping off real fast at .900 lift??? Or not?

Given the parts that are available in todays racing world a .900 lift cam is not that uncommon. Only a few Buicks have been there , but those that are the worlds fastest are already where Im going!! NHRA Pro stock cars are rumored to over 1.250" lift and top alcohol cars are right close to that. Its all about moving the max air possible. I am making every effort to be the first Buick in the 3 second zone in the 1/8 mile. That should also make it possible to run sub 6.50 1/4 mile times. I dont have many years left to reach my goal. Im seriously going for it!!! Mike