would like a little more out of a bone stock original 87 GN

ddmrk

would like to get just a little more out of a bone stock all original 87 GN ,NOT going to the drag strip don't want to change stock apperance or major mods. just simple add on whay about installing a chip ? and which one would you recomened.
Danny K.

Get a TT chip. It's $85 and will make you wonder why you never did it before. Also get a fuel pump if you haven't yet. Turbotweakstore.com

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Going with a modern chip is always a good bet. Since you want to keep things close to stock, and wont be changing the MAF (mass airflow sensor), at least not yet. My personal recommendation would be to go with the "Commander" chip from Full Throttle Speed.

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp ic 050BUCOMMAND eq Tp+

I run one in my 87, and it really wakes up an otherwise stock GN.

after reading, i think before i go for more power, i would look into making it more safe, fuel pump, and hot wire kit if u havent yet, then a chip and maybe air intake? but fuel pump is a must, i myself wouldnt do anything until i get a scanmaster so i can monitor everything

The stock airbox isn't that bad, I went 13.0 @ 104 on pump gas only in a 3710# almost TSA legal GN. TurboTweak chip or extender chips, gut the cat, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, upgraded fuel pump and hot wire the pump.

The stock airbox isn't that bad, I went 13.0 @ 104 on pump gas only in a 3710# almost TSA legal GN. TurboTweak chip or extender chips, gut the cat, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, upgraded fuel pump and hot wire the pump.

I don't think he's going to want an Extender chip since he voiced intentions to stay mostly stock. That's why I recommended the Commander chip. The Commander is basically identical to the Extender performance and feature wise, but for the stock MAF.

fuel pump,hotwire,volt booster,shift kit,scanmaster.now for performance you will need octane to raise boost,just running pump gas will limit boost say to 15psi with conservative timing.methanol injection will allow you to raise the boost and timing making alot more power,and it allows a stock combo to come alive.the tt chip has been my preference,either way you will have to get more boost into the motor to go faster.

what I am looking for is just simple upgrade don't want to beat the car and then have major problems so I guess the chip is the way to go

Yes a chip, AFTER the pump replacement, factory pumps are fine, but think about how old it is.
Do the "Spring Cleaning" boogie too, your trans will like a shift kit for longevity, open element air filter and chip, you will be very happy.

Fuel Pump, Turbo Tweak Chip, Gutted Cat and Spring Cleaning and you will be happy. Car will still look stock.

Pete

And for more reliability, maf and translator. Kinda moves it from stock a bit, but if your gonna drive it ...

turbotroy said:
And for more reliability, maf and translator. Kinda moves it from stock a bit, but if your gonna drive it ...

Plus if you want to go back to stock just unhook it and hook the stock maf back in.

Just curious, what is the mileage on the engine?
If you read my Sig, my set up is basically a stock engine, with some upgrades to adjust and tune the engine.
Right now I'm testing out a manual boost controller which is mounting next to the original wastegate solenoid.
The turbo shield has been removed so I can make adjustment to the wastegate rod, and then replace all hoses to one gray looking color.
I also added a triple pod oil pressure, vac/boost, and A/F gauges, and must have a Scanmaster.

Attachments

• Picture 248.jpg
    Picture 248.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 221
  • Picture 1016.jpg
    Picture 1016.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 138
Very nice low mileage
The reason why I asked since a lot of owners has changed the timing chain since it has a nylon cam sprocket. Many has changed it as low as 25,000 miles where I have changed mine around 91,000 miles, as well as the rear main seal.
When you purchased the Commander chip did you also upgraded the fuel injectors? You might want to get both since down the road you will probably upgrade the fuel injectors, and then you will have to have the Commander chip modify to the newer injectors.
Keep us posted of your upgrades, and enjoy.