would like a little more out of a bone stock original 87 GN

Some good ideas, but you needn't sound quite so cynical as though nothing is going to work correctly with the chip change. The easiest way to ensure good fuel pressure is to just upgrade to a 237 regulator. In my experience this works very well, even in my 130K + car, and he only has 18,000 on his. Crusing the old 233 regulator is just too iffy, and not to be attempted by someone new to these cars.
I'm not being cynical at all. The chip is going to do its job,guaranteed. It will turn the injectors on for a longer period of time to allow more fuel to enter the motor with the extra air that the turbo will be pushing into the motor because of the increased boost. The 237 regulator is a possible means to the goal,but it costs money. I would rather see someone purchase an aftermarket adjustable regulator than a non adjustable 237. The choice is up to the OP. I offered him an option that costs nothing,retains the factory regulator,and described a very safe and controlled way of accomplishing the goal. Turning the injectors on longer and adjusting the base fuel pressure to the chip burners specs will work great if the pump is capable of supplying all the fuel it is asked to supply. He needs to find out if it can or the car might make less power and hurt something. I provided him with this information and a proper way to determine the pumps capability. It is critical to know if the pump is up to snuff. The only way to tell is to look at a gauge. After the fuel delivery systems capability is known,there could still be an issue with the injectors. I simply gave him some very useful information to insure his goal is met.

am I going to have a problem with either of the pumps that where mentioned ?
Not with the Walbro,but the Deatschwerks will probably require the replacement or modification of the fuel return line because of its greater flow rate. Please don't fall into this trap. Lets see what your current pump is capable of first.

26 year old pump on these cars ?? He said bone stock original GN... Not something I'd rely on, especially when he states he looking to get more out of the car. It either been submerged in old gas, or hanging dry for some time.

26 year old pump on these cars ?? He said bone stock original GN... Not something I'd rely on, especially when he states he looking to get more out of the car. It either been submerged in old gas, or hanging dry for some time.
I agree that there is a good possibility that the pump might not be adequate. Hence my recommendation to test it.
As I stated earlier,the new chip alone will put a greater demand on the pump. It's vitally important that the condition of the pump be known.

Sounds like lots of good ideas and opinions, but a stock 26 year old anything is going to have issues, regardless of how many miles are on it. Most of what is in my sig I bought because I want to know what it's doing, (sm and pl), and stock parts that are known issues I wanted replaced before I did much more then drive around the block. Did I need the extra firepower of Bob's TR6? I wanted the reliability of it. Pay now or pay later, but to do it 1piece at a time as it breaks can really add up on the wrecker bills! Cheers

wow !! guys you are giving me lots of info. it is greatly appreciated I thought it was going to be a simple thing like I did in 87 when I purchased my first new GN purchased a Hyper Chip plugged in and that was it, noticed the difference right away I guess since then so much more has been developed for these cars ,I think I am going to do little at a time as suggested by Ttype6 ,as I said before I don't want just start changing things to make it go faster and faster because they sure are capable of that and then find myself beating the car to dead

I thought it was going to be a simple thing like I did in 87 when I purchased my first new GN purchased a Hyper Chip plugged in and that was it, noticed the difference right away
This might be exactly what happens. Lets just make sure that the fuel system is performing as needed. We're going to be more cautious today than we would have been back then because of the age of the car.

I use to have a Bowling Green Customs adjustable fuel pressure regulator that appeared stock on the outside but it had a little adjustment screw inside of the vacuum port. It worked really well and it looked stock. You might be able to find one floating around.

I wouldn't worry about keeping the engine stock appearing. Most people don't know what a GN is let alone what the engine should look like stock.

I would get these items,and some or all have already been mentioned.

scanmaster
fuel pump/hotwire kit
chip to match injectors
injectors stock, have them cleaned and flowed
160 degree thermostat
K&N air filter
high flow cat. converter
free flow stock location muffler or complete exhaust system for better flow and performance.
adjustable wastegate
adjustable fuel press. regulator
spark plug wires
intercooler hoses/clamps replaced with better quality ones

Parts that you take off that are still good stow them away in a nice safe dry place so that you can reinstall them when and if you decide to.

ddmark, I am in the same boat you are. I really want to keep my newly acquired 87 as original as I can... For one reason only. I know that if I start down the path of upgrading and increasing performance, I will go overboard and out of control. With that said, the comments so far have been spot on with all the research I have done. You really should get the Hot wire kit and a pump, the FPR is helpful but there are options as pointed out as well. The chip which it sounds like you already have ordered is good. But your next purchase should be a Scan Master. From what I have learned this is as essential as any other mod or upgrade you make. Good Luck with your car, keep updating progress or whatever you do.

I know that if I start down the path of upgrading and increasing performance, I will go overboard and out of control.
I don't think you need to worry about that. Take me for instance. I've been continually modifying my car for 24 years. It's not like I'm addicted to it or anything. It's just a hobby. I can quit anytime I want,really.

My buddy put a cigarette lighter adapter on his scanmaster so that he can put it in the car, plug in the aldl, use it as needed, but easily remove it for shows or what have you. I mention this as he is a stock appearing junkie, but a scanmaster is a must have.

My buddy put a cigarette lighter adapter on his scanmaster so that he can put it in the car, plug in the aldl, use it as needed, but easily remove it for shows or what have you. I mention this as he is a stock appearing junkie, but a scanmaster is a must have.

When I had 2 turbo buicks, I did that to save money and only had to buy one scanmaster.