WOT Flaring, Need Help.

ttypetom

I have just had the 2004r in my 65k 1986 t-type rebuilt.
When driven normal the trans shifts crisp in all gears, down shifts are good too, lock up is normal, everything good right/ Wrong.

Now at WOT, shifts are at 3500 rpm and flare ingagment of the 1-2 and the 3-4!

Here is the components in the trans, rebuilt front pump with 13 vain pump, harden input and drum, clearance on the disks at .005, trany cooler installed, stock D5 converter, fluid 1qt over.

Need input on what is needed to resolve WOT problem with flare.
Before rebuild trans would ripe the tires.

Please respond .:confused: Thomas

I don't pretend to be and expert so I'm not going to confuse the matter using terms that would be incorect. But there are a couple of adjustments that need to be made inside the tranny. Probably going to need to be torn down.

BTW this thread is best suited for the tranny section so I'll move it there.

Who rebuilt your tranny????

Hucks Performace Transmissions, in South Carolina, he is the head of the Automotive Dept at the local Tech. College.

Which parts are these, special to the turbo transmission or any 2004r?

What is the fuction of the parts you discribe and how would I tell if they are the correct ones?

The valve body is the heart of the trans. It controlls the whole function of the trans, forward, reverse, 2nd, 3rd, overdrive, etc. The governor controlls at what point and time your shift occurs. These turbo cars have a special valve body which is stamped BR. The governor is special as well. You have to use the turbo governor with the BR valve body, or it will not function right. Hope this helps.

even with the wrong valve body you shouldnt get a flare .sounds lioke low line pressuredue to a stuck tv valve .are the shifts always at 3500 regardless of throttle positin?you must install a pressure gauge and in 5 minutes or less you will know where to look .first check and adjust tv cable.post results we will get it working.www.ckperformance.com

Chris718 I have spoken with Art Carr today, his tech man states the same as you, readjust the tv cable by pushing the adjustment button in and pushing the adjuster all the way towards the firewall, then open the throttle all the way and you should hear a click noise, he states this takes and presets the tv cable.I will drive the car to work tomorrow and let you know what the result is.

Does this sound right?

Let me know.

Thomas;)

THOMAS, THATS NOT HOW WE ADUST THE CABLE BUT IT WILL GET YOU CLOSE TO WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES, THANKS

Chris718,I have adjusted the tv cable as stated, it help to stop the flare, but it still will not scratch the tires and the rpm is around 4000 when it shifts 1-2.

What other adjustments are needed to achieve higher shift points and barking tire results?

Servo, shift kit?

All else is good with the tranny, good normal up shifts and down shifts, lock up is ok too.

Please help if possible.

Thomas:rolleyes:

As Chris stated, pressure check is in order for this transmission. Sounds as if the TV system is not properly responding resulting in early, soft shifts. The pressure needs to be checked at around 1000 rpm with the cable relaxed and then manually pulled all the way out. Do this in each shifter range and write down those minumum and maximum pressures.