Will turning the cam sensor advance the timing?

Brad Zeidler

I was wondering if it will do it, just like turning a distributor. Or will it not do anything. Of course I know you need to move it with the power off. With a timing light what should the advance be reading at idle?

Will turning the cam sensor advance the timing?

No it will not. The cam sensor is used by the ignition module and ECM to know which cylinder is which.

All timing is calculated from the crank sensor

Bob

My car always smells like unburned gas/ the tailpipe is black and sooty. It's somewhat doggy just like a car that doesn't have enough advance. What should it be reading on the timing mark when at idle and at let's say 3,000 rpm. To me it's like the crank ring might not be in exactly the right position- possibly shifted? I know it's pressed on there but it looks like someone has pressed it off of the balancer. The ring has dimples like someone used some long bolts threaded into the balancer to remove it and I'm wondering if it got pressed on in exactly the right spot or not. Would this affect how much advance it's getting.

Brad,

We really need some scan tool data in order to help you. The car is rich and we don't know why. Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? You 02's at the top of third wot will tell the tale.

Data, data, data.

Yes, I have an adjustable Regulator. The O2 at WOT goes to rich .9 volts and higher even. It cycles between rich/lean while driving ok. It's a stock motor with green stripe injectors. Are these injectors too much?