Will .060 over run hot?

edmonds27

Hey guys,

My son and I just bought an 85 GN to restore for his first car. We pulled the engine and it looks like it will have to be bored to .060 over to clean up the cylinders. The guy at the machine shop builds a lot of racing stuff and has done a lot of GN motors, but he says he's never bored one of these .060 and he's concerned it might run hot. Just wondering if anyone has ran one .060 and if it caused any problems.

.60 over, junk it and find a new block. might we ask who this so called builder is ?

Jones in Owensboro, KY. I know he's a good builder, he does a lot of work for the local shops around here and builds a lot of race engines including my ASA late model motor, which we don't trust to just anyone. We've ran several SBC at .060 with no problems, but we've never done one of these GN motors before. Thanks for the info.

forgot to ask... any suggestions on where I can find another block? I've looked on car-parts.com, racingjunk.com, and of course ebay. I've looked at some of the posts here to but haven't really come up with a block.

ask for one in the wanted section. you will find one there im sure.

I asked the same question, on building a motor going .060 here is the answers i got

from three of this broads engine builders
Junk it and find a new block, dont waste you time it not worth it

here is what i got from one of this boards fastest member still using V6
Sonic check it will give you the answer.
The blocks could be any thickness good or bad.
I sonic check them all and have seen them very thin and have been concerned about just boring 20 over

here is what i got from my machine shop
sonic check came out fine build it. btw on my sons car just stock rebuild .020 and there was a pin hole in one of the bores. but we have build a few .120 that have gone very fast

FYI I'm building a .060 :biggrin:

sorry but this was a 109 block (reason for edit)

if this is a street car.........

and sonic testing check out good, I 'd use it,
if you plan to run high boost, or push it HARD , then I'd replace it.
post up your results.
thanks

Where are you located?? I have a spare 79 turbo block that I'd like to get out of my garage. It's at least .20 over, but in great shape. Maybe a light honing. I'm in central Iowa. ---Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm in Western KY which is a pretty long way off from you, but I like to travel so I wouldn't count it out. Especially since I haven't been able to find one locally yet. Do you happen to have the casting number on that block?

Hey guys,

My son and I just bought an 85 GN to restore for his first car. We pulled the engine and it looks like it will have to be bored to .060 over to clean up the cylinders. The guy at the machine shop builds a lot of racing stuff and has done a lot of GN motors, but he says he's never bored one of these .060 and he's concerned it might run hot. Just wondering if anyone has ran one .060 and if it caused any problems.

Of the hundreds of Buick V-6 engines we have done, only one was 0.060" over, and it never ran hotter than normal. Why would it? :confused:

This was a 4.1 build and it was a torque monster on the street. :)

Of the hundreds of Buick V-6 engines we have done, only one was 0.060" over, and it never ran hotter than normal. Why would it? :confused:

This was a 4.1 build and it was a torque monster on the street. :)

What kind of boost was it running Nick?

Not real sure Charlie, but as I remember it was about 14 psi, but it had ported heads, and upgrades like turbo, stretch IC, DP and a few other goodies.

It also had bigger rear tires, but would easily smoke them when needed! :biggrin:

There is at least one .060 over 109 that was making over 800hp. If the sonic test shows enough material it wouldnt be a problem and might actually give an advantage. The only thing that can get tricky is the head gasket since its hard to get a .080 over set unless you go to the 4 inch bore gasket. The chamfer at the top of the cylinder will put part of the gasket in the combustion chamber if you use a .060 gasket. If your limited to running 250 ci like TSM and have to start with a 3.8 block id be boring as much as possible to get as close to 249.9ci and stroking to make up the remaining ci and run a set of 6.3" rods with custom pistons and some compression. I would increase bore before i increased stroke.

.60 over block

I have a block that needs to go 60 over..I took it to my machine shop guy and he said it will be fine and won't run hot...So I'm keeping that block to build stock for my son with stock parts..:biggrin::biggrin:

Hey guys,

Here is some info I just located :smile:;
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~allan/heat_trans/page6/page6.html

4.1 here that has run more than 6 years at .065 over. Hurt the bottom end and put a score on the #1 bore. Had it sonic checked and I will be ordering pistons at .070 overbore. Never ran any different that the stock bore 3.8. Just because it needs to go big does not mean its junk.