Wider rims..worth it or not?

SMS

I have gone a best 60' of 1.58 with 9"x28" MT ET drags on stock T-type rims. This was back in early spring when the air and track was much cooler. Last weekend, I could only manage a best of a 1.72 60', wheel spin was bad, and if I air the tires down below 15-16 psi, the car develops a mind of its own. My question is do you think the 60' would pick back up and be more consistant with a 8" rim with that tire? How fast has anyone gone on a stock rim w/ slicks? Thanks

Steve

That's pretty much a 275/60 so you're tapped with the stock rims. Since guys are getting better 60fts with the 275/60 MT Street Radial DOT you have some suspension work left in there.

Also track conditions/prep play a role so it might not be just your tires etc.

So what you're saying is the stock rim width isn't too narrow for a 9" slick?

So what you're saying is the stock rim width isn't too narrow for a 9" slick?

It might be. I haven't compared a 9" slick on a 7" and 8" rim but I'd bet the 8" rim has a better contact area. See if you can borrow someone's 8" rims for a trip to the track or just a side by side comparison or maybe get a couple of cheap 8" rims from a swap meet or junk yard to try it.

Wheel width & tire size/type/age can make a big difference. I fought crappy 60fts for years & alot of it turned out to be tires/wheels. I now run a 28 x 10 slick with a 10" rim. Ideally you want your rim to be the same width as your tread. Tires do go bad also, how old are they?

I know you are talking about a 7" tire and 9" rim, but the same ideas should apply. When I ran a 10" tire on a 8" rim it seemed ok. But then whe I put a 10" rim on it the car lost that loose feeling. I think a wider rim would not be a bad idea at all.

Hey SNS

I have the same tire on a 8" weld wheel and I run 15-17lbs and have never had a problem. I have got as low as 1.52 60ft. On a full weight street car.Hope this helps.

From what I have read here, I think the track prep was likely the main culprit.
While a 7" rim with a 9" slick may not be optimal, I don't think I'll spend $300-$400 on new rims just for a tenth on my 60' time Thanks for the input.

Steve

Spend $100-$150 for a 8" used set and forget about it. A spinning 28" Slick breaks rear end parts when it grabs.
Good luck