why would/wouldnt alky work in this application ?

murphinator

L67 ( fwd 3800sc non intercooled)

every time alky injection comes up on sc 3800 specific forums 90+ % of replies are that its been tried many times and very few got positive results and most just sold the kit and bought an intercooler instead.

also been mentioned that it doesnt work well on sc without an intercooler and that the sc will force all the alky at the front cylinders unless you had it setup direct port which would cost more than an intercooler -which is a solidly proven power improver on this platform.

I know you guys here know as much or more than anyone on alky injection on both hot air & intercooled applications and there are even normally aspirated cars that can benefit form alky so give it to me why wouldnt it work or be too hard to tune ?

I am thinking if you are using a wideband and a decent adjustable progressive system it should have benefits.

Thanks in advance guys :cool:

Couple of issues I guess.
One, the MAF and TB are integrated. Meaning a simple nozzle before the TB cant be done, as you can shoot alcohol through a MAF.

Two, next issue is tuning. Up until recently there where issues with tuning the pcm's. Meaning if you shoot alcohol into the motor it will richen up the mixture. meaning you need to reduce injector pulse width to compensate for the extra fuel delivered. This goes back to "tuning". Compounding this issue is when large injectors are used. Now you run a very low pulse width which creates tuning problems on the L67 computer.

Three, the consensus on those boards is to use mix/windshield washer fluid. This creates a headache when you start getting aggressive with the volume. And distribution problems.

I did a system on an 03 GS back in Jan 04. I put the nozzle into a spacer behind the TB and shot straight alcohol through the blower. It got rid of the KR the car was getting, upped the boost about a 1 lb, and the owner was very happy. Last time I saw that car was early 08, it had logged 70K+ miles and I replaced the pump on it. No blower problems, no issues. It was a customers wife's car.. and she beat on the poor thing. Straight methanol. On that car I used the coolant tank as the alky tank. Latter systems I have used the WW reservoir.

If I had to do it, I'd split the MAF and TB, put a nozzle pre TB, and get the proper software to tune the motor. I would run straight methanol. And It will perform as should. Short cuts cost.

Leave you with this thought, in the LS1 community, I probably have sold hundreds of kits to applications that use the magnusson SC. No issues tuning them, no reliability issues, etc. Just two more cylinders. Hot Rod did an article with Ken Duttweiller's GTO with an LS1 and a maggie blower.. he ended up making 750 HP on a stock bottom end LS motor and a 122 blower. Nozzle pre-blower as well.

So its the L67? The tuning software? Or its the internet? :D

thanks Razor -appreciate your reply very much.

I have HP tuners tuning software , AFX wideband with the upgraded NTK sensor , still gaining the knowledge to utilize these tools properly but that will come :biggrin:

I have an 85mm external maf that will be going on the car pre TB ( along with proper maf tables for the larger maf ) so I will be eliminating the factory maf and was thinking about a nozzle installed in a blockoff plate where the maf is currently.

beyond that there is one guy getting decent results that is using the factory washer bottle & pump which keeps the factory low fluid level light as his meth low level light - I like this idea because the factory items tend to last a long time and I would pulley up when the track closes in the fall and go back to using it to clean my windows which I never need it for in the summer since i wash my stuff regularly

The factory pump wont last long with straight methanol. It also doesnt make a lot of pressure.

Yes it can be done, I guess your results may vary.

So if he's shooting a little and getting good results there should be no reason a lot more wont work.

The factory pump wont last long with straight methanol. It also doesnt make a lot of pressure.

Yes it can be done, I guess your results may vary.

So if he's shooting a little and getting good results there should be no reason a lot more wont work.

I have a few other things to get right before moving onto this step but what would you suggest for parts to make this all work well using the stock windshield tank but a better pump , could you provide those parts ? and what would be the cost. you can pm me if you prefer..........

I am a moderator on the regal gs forum and would post thorough results if I could get positive results out of the meth - there are several other members currently on the fence with trying alky that would look to duplicate my results if they were good.