Why does my turbo cough and splutter ?

gpadilla1071

Hi, I was just wondering, because when I go under hard acceleration that's when it happens. I'm not sure where to start for trouble shooting. Could it be the MAF, the ECM, fuel pump? I'm not sure if this applies but when I baought my MAF I never adjusted the chip. I got the chip from Turbo Tweak before I bought the MAF. If I need to send the chip I will just to get her from coughing but I need help on where to start. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

First, take off the Inlet Pipe and with two fingers, stick them in the compressor opening and ask it to cough again for you? :eek::biggrin: J/K

If that doesn't work, :wink:, we need to know if the cough is after you let off the gas from a WOT blast, or is it coughing while holding mid level psi like 10psi etc?

If it coughs after you let off the gas from WOT = Normal for non blow off Forced Induction vehicles. What you're hearing is the boost trapped between the closed throttle plate and the compressor housing. It reverts back to where it came and out the compressor through your Maf pipe and cone. BOV will cure coughing here.

If it coughs during mid level psi and part throttle gas = Compressor Surge, a back and forth between when a compressor is pushing too much air, engine is using less and then more air and turbine is flowing more and then less air from engine. All are juggling around which is why it feels like a horse is bucking. Tornado or Ported Shroud turbo compressor housing will cure coughing here.

From your post, #1 sounds like your issue.

I had problem #2 also. Turned out to be a bad coil pack. Changed it out and the problem disappeared.

John

- Have you tried the "Tap test" on the MAF sensor yet?

- Is this an OEM replacement MAF sensor or an aftermarket reman MAF sensor?

My money is on either a faulty MAF sensor or a mis-calibrated sensor.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Patrick

x2 on the coil and pack and ignition module....

only use acdelco parts or you will replace parts twice like me......

I was getting ready to ask that question. I currently have the AC Delco Ignition Coil and was wondering if they have a better one...?