Why did so many people like the G-Body Monte Carlos?

Maybe it's just me but I have to say I really don't know of any GN guys kicking themselves for not picking up a Monte SS and realizing the awesome performance potential of the 5.0 L69.

Maybe it's just me but I have to say I really don't know of any GN guys kicking themselves for not picking up a Monte SS and realizing the awesome performance potential of the 5.0 L69.

You weren't around these cars back in 86-87 were you? Back when you could buy a TR fresh off the showroom I dont think there was one person who was thinking the same thing. Kenne-Bell was the only game in town and it even took him a year to get up to speed selling turbo parts. Of course with-in a year there were was quite a list of vendors selling turbo parts.

You can blame the Montes sales numbers on what I call the "small block mentality". Hey if it isn't fast enough just drop in another SBC. Just look at all of the guys bailing on the turbo Buick. Quite a few turbo SBC and now a couple of LSX defectors posting here it seems.:mad: Personally I'd have a hard time going with a Chevy V-8. Only because it's monkey see-monkey do. You got the aftermarket doing all the hard work for you. All you need to do is whip out the credit card,bolt it in and dial it in. Where's the challenge in that? I guess the same comment could be directed towards the TR camp too. We'd be screwed if there was no aftermarket support for the turbo V-6.:mad:

You weren't around these cars back in 86-87 were you? Back when you could buy a TR fresh off the showroom I dont think there was one person who was thinking the same thing. Kenne-Bell was the only game in town and it even took him a year to get up to speed selling turbo parts. Of course with-in a year there were was quite a list of vendors selling turbo parts.
Actually back in 86-87 I was fresh out of high school and cruising around in my 305 TPI IROC. The closest I ever got to a GN at the time was having my a$$ handed to me by one at a stoplight one night. :biggrin: Between that encounter and the magazine articles that had GNs running high 13s in stock trim gave me plenty respect for what the little turbo 6 could do with or without aftermarket parts.

I love these threads

I remember this all stock looking 87 SS that was racing for money in fountain Ave.
He beat the late 80s Multi Stage nitrous supra that had taking over the street.
Any way the big talk was about that the “All Black Regal that left me in the dust didn’t want to race this SS for $1500.00

Later at a Muffler shop in 5 towns I bump into the SS guy and we talked about his car.
He claimed it was the OE 305 with just a cam and a B&M 144 Blower and a big ass Holley sitting on top of it. I never saw the car run and I couldn’t race him because he only raced for 1500 and up.

I did get the chance to look at the engine and the stuff was in it.
He did rip it when he left the shop and it was just plain Nasty

Any way after I saw that car. I new that American Muscle was the way to go.
The not that long after I had an 1984 Monte in my yard.

Agreed on principle, but I'm curious about something. There are a few Buicks running 9s with the stock block. If you generate enough power with an L69 (is that right?) 305 to run an SS into the 9s, will it hold together?

I like the looks of a Monte LS myself. Sleeeeper.

And what's with the lack of cupholders on any G-body? People didn't drink in the 80s???

an l69 could hold together, the 305 block casting has very thick cylinder walls, and you could tap the block for 4-bolt mains, you'd need aftermarket heads as the all of the 80's cylinder heads were boat anchors. but i think a de-stroked 305 down to a 285 (3.735bore x 3.250 stroke) would make a little screamer and if you threw two turbos on it could make one helluva motor. most people choose the obvious and more cost effective route and get a 350... but im planing (and slowly buying parts for) a 302 twin turbo build up, and the GN is my inspiration.

and i couldnt agree more about the farking cupholders.

G body cars are all sweet

I love the TR, SS monte, and the Hurst Olds. Here is a nice monte from a member of LsJuantech.

Attachments

• McssGmachine2.jpg
    McssGmachine2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 325
I was one of those guys trying to decide between the GN/T-Type/MCSS/442/Hurst back in 84-87. When I first saw a white SS (84 I belive) at a dealer I loved it. If I remember, they had the white with blue interior or the blue with blue intierior. Correct me if I am wrong someone. Anyways, when I got out of Jr College My goal was to take part (actually all) of my huge $18.5K salary and get a SS. My mom just bought a hot 85 buick century the year before and she was throwing out the old dealer catalog that had been lying around the house for a year and a 1/2. I thumbed through it and saw the GN and fell in love. After I learned more about them I learned of some of the troubles with the turbo cars so I debated again between the ss/gn and by this time the 442. This was in 87 and the buick dealers were not negotiating on the GN's in fact some added a premium. I dang near drove a black SS (it had the red letters I think) with t-tops off the showroom floor. The problem was my $18.5 yearly wages at the time. Seems as if the bank did not think I could afford the car (thank god). Anyways I found an 85 WH1 that was just traded on a new GN in Libertyville IL. 30K miles and $8250 vs a new GN for $17k??? (one dealer had one for $23K) fit my budget better and I think my payment on a 3 year note was $127.50 per month:) . Someone made refference to the IROC. Yep. That was on my list and was really what I wanted however the insurance would have taken up most of my$18.5K per year. If I remeber correctly, the T-Type was rated as a "Buick Regal Coupe" and it cost me $1200 per year on insurance. For a 19 yr old with 2 moving violations (one was 92 in a 55 in my 74 monte) that was pretty good. Not sure what the SS would have cost but I think it was higher than the TR as far as insurance.

All of this 80's talk makes me want to dig out a Night Ranger tape, throw it in the buick and drive to the movies and watch Top Gun:eek:

Second thought, maybe not, the wife is sleeping and I am tired, goose is dead, iceman is batman and maverick is... well he is just wierd.

I was in high school in 86-87, and grad'd in 87. I wanted a GN so bad, but they were waaaaay out of my budget. Last year at a cruise I saw a GN and started dreaming again. I never had a taste for the Monte's with the swoopie rear quarters. Just didn't do it for me. There is nothing I don't like about the GN body, and the interior is just fine for me. Bare bones, nothing frilly. I bought a GN at the end of last summer and hopefully I'll have her around for a while. Monte's? Nah. :eek:

Are you Kidding?

yes with a few easy mods an intercooled GN can be in the low 14's - mid-high 13's

but the Monte has a greater total performance potential. 3.8l's vs 5.0l anything you can do to a 3.8 you can do to a 5.0l.

Are you kidding? What parameters are you using for performance potential?

Basing it on even money invested the Regal is way ahead. Just a chip, sticky tires and a fish tank valve mine was running low 13s at 105mph when it was new. This was about a $17k investment driving it. What can your L69 do with a $17 investment back when it was new?

Now the investment is even less if you just wanna go fast.
Better fuel pump and wiring to provide voltage
Larger turbo and it can even look stock(you've heard of the TA series?)
Larger injectors.
A scanmaster for tuning(Maybe a new powerlogger and laptop)
This should have you into the 11s with some tuning

Rich

This is why I chose what I chose, because I could do the exterior how I wanted, though the colors didn't come out quite as well as I had hoped, and nobody would be like "you ruined a perfectly good GN for that?!?" No offense to you all, I really love the GN, but three or four colors to chose from...sorry I'm an against the grain type of person...plus I'm dropping a turbo on the v8 instead ;)

Car006.jpg

Car002.jpg

Otis

This is why I chose what I chose, because I could do the exterior how I wanted, though the colors didn't come out quite as well as I had hoped, and nobody would be like "you ruined a perfectly good GN for that?!?" No offense to you all, I really love the GN, but three or four colors to chose from...sorry I'm an against the grain type of person...plus I'm dropping a turbo on the v8 instead ;)

Car006.jpg

Car002.jpg

Otis

Looks nice, I flirted with doing a two tone on my WH1 in the same colors (roughly) but opted for all Dark Garnet Red instead to help pull off the "TNX" scheme.

Monte's are still hot looking, I was looking at mint low mile stock Monte's as my daily driver, then I found that 98 trans Am and couldn't pass it up.

The Mexican version of the Monte SS came with a 350 that put out around 265ph backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. The interior is identical to that of the Grand Prix though. As for the checkerboard wheels(14" I think), pass! It was the last Monte to roll out by 1984 over there. I'd would very much like to have one of those to complement my '86 GN and '86 2+2. I had a chance to buy one being 3hrs away from the border. But as faith would have it, I bought my '86 GN instead and have no regrets.:cool: The one that got away... It was painted black(they were all white), the deck spoiler was added and bigger wheels as well. One of these days...:p

Jackolivas/Mexican Monte SS - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like them both, actually, I like any Monte, Regal, or Cutlass from 83 to 88.

They are slower than the TR's but they each have something that adds character to them. Like as mentioned in a couple of the few posts I read, the arm rest in the center, even though its cheap plastic, its better than ours. I like the analog gauages in the Montes and Cutlass cars that was not found in our Regals.

I like the TR the best out of any G-body but if the price was right on a Monte SS of the same year I would probably buy it to add to the collection. It would have to be black or maroon with the maroon interior though.

When I get asked "how much for your monte" I just reply with "$20,000" and most gripe that the car isnt worth that. I then just tell them it was a limited edition Monte with the Grand National engine in it. :D

The Mexican version of the Monte SS came with a 350 that put out around 265ph backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. The interior is identical to that of the Grand Prix though. As for the checkerboard wheels(14" I think), pass! It was the last Monte to roll out by 1984 over there.

BS!!!!!!

The MexiCarlo was built here in the States or at Ontario. The only G-Body GM built in Mexico was the 84-87 ElCamino. And they all used the same motors we got. The POS 305 rated at 150HP. Get that guy to post his VIN and I'll prove it's BS on the 265HP part! Really now. If that was case than there would have been a flood of MexiCarlos up here, wouldn't you think! :mad:

Use some common sense. The L98 TPI 350 used in the Vette only made 240-255HP depending on the year. And this was with all the gimmicks of FI. When was the last time GM had a non electronic 350 running a carb? And even than the power was below 265. BS!!!!!!!!

I love all G bodies,ive owned almost every year and model (i used to sell alot of cars)just a turbo regal is my favorite.
im more worried from getting outrun by a ricer than looking/sounding good.....

Just opening the door of a Monte compared to a Regal is laughable. I've never got what people liked about Monte Carlos either.

Are you kidding? What parameters are you using for performance potential?

Basing it on even money invested the Regal is way ahead. Just a chip, sticky tires and a fish tank valve mine was running low 13s at 105mph when it was new. This was about a $17k investment driving it. What can your L69 do with a $17 investment back when it was new?

Now the investment is even less if you just wanna go fast.
Better fuel pump and wiring to provide voltage
Larger turbo and it can even look stock(you've heard of the TA series?)
Larger injectors.
A scanmaster for tuning(Maybe a new powerlogger and laptop)
This should have you into the 11s with some tuning

Rich

That's sort of what I was thinking. How many stock 305s do you see running 11s on a regular basis? Sure, you can build it up but it doesn't hold a candle to the turbo v6 stock for stock or bolt-on to bolt-on. Once you get into pulling the motors out of the car, does it really matter anymore?

And that stock rear in the Monte is much better lol.

The V8 is better in principle only. It has more displacement so theoretically it can make more power. In real life, the only way a stockish 305 will make the same power as a bolt-on 3.8 is with a 300 shot and I doubt it will live at that power level.

One of the great mysteries of the world I guess....:rolleyes: The Monte could possibly be one of the ugliest cars ever produced IMO. It's amazing anyone could ever confuse it with a TB.

BS!!!!!!

The MexiCarlo was built here in the States or at Ontario. The only G-Body GM built in Mexico was the 84-87 ElCamino. And they all used the same motors we got. The POS 305 rated at 150HP. Get that guy to post his VIN and I'll prove it's BS on the 265HP part! Really now. If that was case than there would have been a flood of MexiCarlos up here, wouldn't you think! :mad:

Use some common sense. The L98 TPI 350 used in the Vette only made 240-255HP depending on the year. And this was with all the gimmicks of FI. When was the last time GM had a non electronic 350 running a carb? And even than the power was below 265. BS!!!!!!!!

How long would that puny MC rear axle last on Mexican roads, with a 250HP V-8 and a 4 speed manual trans? 500 miles?

Would you even make it out of the dealership lot?

One of the great mysteries of the world I guess....:rolleyes: The Monte could possibly be one of the ugliest cars ever produced IMO. It's amazing anyone could ever confuse it with a TB.

You clearly can’t see clearly
And need to get glasses Alice
The Monte is by far the best looking G-Body.