Why did so many people like the G-Body Monte Carlos?

I have owned an 87 SS,and would say it was a great looking car, but I couldnt understand how a 190 hp 305 engine could drink so much gas, I swear a 350 V8 burns less gas and puts out much more power.

Simple. A 305 has to work much harder than a well built 350 to push the same amount of weight, thus resulting in higher fuel consumption.

Arrrrgh....It just happened to me again.

Pulled up with my car and an acquantaince that doesn't know my car starts checking it out. I pop the hood, we talk about what it's had done, etc. Then, another guy comes walking up and the guy I've been talking to goes "Dude, check out Mike's Monte Carlo!"

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrrrgh....It just happened to me again.

Pulled up with my car and an acquantaince that doesn't know my car starts checking it out. I pop the hood, we talk about what it's had done, etc. Then, another guy comes walking up and the guy I've been talking to goes "Dude, check out Mike's Monte Carlo!"

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funny
i do that to every guys i see in a Turbo buick. it never gets old.:biggrin:

VERY NICE!!!! Nice workmanship!!! It looks like it would be hell to keep clean!! ;)

Scot W.

One of my old SS's. I like em!

51656d1215016113-why-did-so-many-people-like-g-body-monte-carlos-l_f85cdfcf64888a63f2f84c97d98f5266.jpg

That is gorgeous :D Nothing like a mint, dropped white Monte SS. There are 1 or 2 Monte's running around here that sound pretty friggin mean.

Second, they only came with the lowly 305 Camaro RS motor, one of the worst motors Chevy ever built. I mean, how the hell do you only get 190 hp out of 5.0 litres!!! Talk about bad engineering!!! But that's not the point, they were extremely underpowered and according to motor trend and car and driver they ran between a 15.9-16.1 stock in the 1/4 mile. I could walk faster than that! (sarcasm). This car was no comparison to our turbo regals and I'm sure they were close to each other in price so I don't see why people bought these things! I understand nowadays about people swapping 350's or any other Chevy V8 in it, because it has the same setup as the Regal and can be made fast with a swap, but the combination it had from the factory was absolutely horrendous. Why were they so sought after in there day?
i think the 305 is pretty durable...i've pounded mine pretty hard. 190hp from a smogged 80's motor wasnt horrible. 15.9 was only two tenths behind the 85 hot air GN that got tested at 15.7, i dont really see ur point in that regard. not everything was turbo intercooled :rolleyes:
for the 80's it wasnt a bad set up. the 3:73 made it a pretty decent street car. i mean it all depends on what perspective ur looking from. in bone stock form compared to other 80's cars in bone stock form it was what it was supposed to be, a car with better performance than the average monte carlo. i took my emission off mine and gained a half second at the track off the stock times. Bone stock i ran 15.87. without emissions i ran 15.38. performer RPM intake i ran 15.06. you also forgettin a major reason this car was made and why people bought them....NASCAR!!!!!!!!!! so get ur nose outta the air and stop acting like a porsche owner

here's my two...waiting on the GN to complete the trifecta

newrimseq8.jpg
newrims2ip9.jpg

my 85 SS with its gay ass stripes :rolleyes:
oldsservicefh4.jpg

my freshly restored 83 hurst olds

I Luv em because thier G'z:cool:... Love all of the G-bodied cars... and SS montes sound sexy (the one I hear does:biggrin:) slap some 20's and youll be stylin... but still nothin beats the SS monte stock like a t-type.

Once upon a time.........:eek:
This won almost everything you could win. Sold it to a guy in OK city.

DAYUM RONNIE! That car is hot even for a Monte.:biggrin:

For you Charlie............:biggrin:

Thanks Ronnie. It's always fun to revisit the past.:smile:

I Luv em because thier G'z:cool:... Love all of the G-bodied cars... and SS montes sound sexy (the one I hear does:biggrin:) slap some 20's and youll be stylin... but still nothin beats the SS monte stock like a t-type.

20's suck kid. You'll have no traction and the tires will take all of your paycheck.:eek: Not to mention all the extra wear on the suspention parts. I can verify that if you want.:biggrin: Take a look in the suspention and brake section if you don't believe me. It aint a D(d@mmed)O(old)D(dog)G(got)E(excited) (and look at the mess he made).:biggrin:

I think the main thing is BUICK is thought of as an "old persons car"

So the CHEVY MONTE had an advantage.

THEN, the v8 rumble.

I still get people laughing at me when I say I have a v6 with a turbo (TTA or SY). Oh well , they wont know until we put down cash at the line ;) ---

DAYUM RONNIE! That car is hot even for a Monte.:biggrin:

Thanks Ronnie. It's always fun to revisit the past.:smile:

20's suck kid. You'll have no traction and the tires will take all of your paycheck.:eek: Not to mention all the extra wear on the suspention parts. I can verify that if you want.:biggrin: Take a look in the suspention and brake section if you don't believe me. It aint a D(d@mmed)O(old)D(dog)G(got)E(excited) (and look at the mess he made).:biggrin:

its not about traction, its about looking good in my opinon when it comes to monte carlos. On the buicks id rather go fast and handle well, but in a Super Sport its about the rims:biggrin:

The Chevys Ridin Heavy... and if its gonna be a chevy... its gotta be heavy:biggrin:
ssru0.jpg

2571736694_8b5b46b92e.jpg

32197210009_large.jpg

Thats my bit 'O' ghetto for the day

LOLOL charlie... D-O-D-G-E

It's not that I don't like the Monte, It has a sore spot for me just because most people think that's what I'm driving. :biggrin:

Last I checked your red thing isn't like a Monte:D HaHa. Just givin a hard time.

When the MCSS came out in '83 I thought it was tha ba//z. Back then the 15 sec quarter was considered quick for a production car of the time. Remember the 5.0L mustang of the day had 175hp or so also. Then I saw Lassiter bust on that roy baddie guy with his stage one GS so I wanted one of those.

In '86, the mags out with the 13-14 sec quarters for the GN. I wanted one but a new 16-20k car wasn't in my budget. The MCSS was a 13-17k car so it was cheaper too. Buick wasn't really considered a performance car back then.