Why 547?

lumarkhood

New to the Turbo Buick scene.

Why did Buick add the 47 units to original 500?

Also, anyone know why they made 1,547 WE4's?

Thanks

Originally there was only suppose to be 500. But after all were sold a Buick rep said Congrads u sold them so fast we will give each of u 1 more GNX and there were 47 stores. So they scrambled to get 47 more out. That's the short version of it from what I remember

FBI needed 47 for their undercover division :cool: In no time the GNXs were to easy to pick out from a crowd so they got the 547 WE4s. Hope this helps.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday's technical presentations at the BPG nationals where retired GM personnel will be talking about the GNX program. I've submitted a question to ask them to confirm what I have heard which is copied here below:

Originally the number of GNX's was set at 500 to align with the Indy 500. All the tooling and assembly was planned for 500 cars.

At the time that GNX's were being sold at dealers, Buick had an award program for exemplary dealers. There was an award banquet where members from each of the dealerships that earned that top performance level were in attendance. A big wig from Buick spoke at the banquet and comended them for a job well done. During his speech he said something to the affect of: "And to congratulate you all on a job well done, Buick will provide each of you with one additional GNX."

There were 47 dealers in attendance.

The big wig said this to the group without first clearing it with anyone from ASC. There was a scramble to ramp up production by adding 47 unplanned cars.

chopped39 said:
What about #000 GNX . I think I have seen that number before:confused:

I seen a guy can't remember if on tv or on a magazine that has a concept GNX. He also has a very rare Buick that is supposed to be one of one. Well this man met a guy that work at gm and that owed the concept GNX seen it not in person and has no number. They had a conversation and the GM employee started to talk a about a rare Buick that he remembered and the man told the GM employee he had that car.

They ended up exchanging numbers time past, the GM employee called this man and sold him the concept GNX cause he had already owned another very rare Buick.

Just a brief story of what I can remember about that 0 GNX.

I seen a guy can't remember if on tv or on a magazine that has a concept GNX. He also has a very rare Buick that is supposed to be one of one. Well this man met a guy that work at gm and that owed the concept GNX seen it not in person and has no number. They had a conversation and the GM employee started to talk a about a rare Buick that he remembered and the man told the GM employee he had that car.

They ended up exchanging numbers time past, the GM employee called this man and sold him the concept GNX cause he had already owned another very rare Buick.

Just a brief story of what I can remember about that 0 GNX.

Close, but not exactly correct.

Let's answer the OP's questions first. I pretty sure I know, does anybody else know why there were 547 GNX's and not 500?

Let's answer the OP's questions first. I pretty sure I know, does anybody else know why there were 547 GNX's and not 500?

I thought post #6 answered that question?

Technically, isn't there 550?
#000, is that your prototype?
The one GM supposedly made after it found out that #547 was sold so they could have the last one made.
and GNXRAY. made from all the original GNX parts.

Curious minds?

D

I thought post #6 answered that question?

Technically, isn't there 550?
#000, is that your prototype?
The one GM supposedly made after it found out that #547 was sold so they could have the last one made.
and GNXRAY. made from all the original GNX parts.

Curious minds?

D

Yep, I missed seeing that post. It is exactly correct so sit down and I'll explain my GNX and how it came to be.

#000 is not my car, mine has no number on the dash at all. Mine was used by Buick for shows, displays and exhibits to boost interest in the GNX's. It is a 1986 Grand National that Buick sent to ASC for conversion to a GNX. I have all the internal Buick documentation on the car. It is a real GNX but not counted as one of the 547 nor is X-Ray or GNX 000.

I first saw the car in 1998 at the GS Nationals, the year of the never ending rain and straw was $5 a bale. It was parked under the Buick tent and during one of the downpours, I went under that tent to try to stay dry. I was looking over the GNX and noticed it did not have a GNX number on the dash...humm... Also, it had touch control HVAC and I knew GNX's had lever control HVAC. Hummm again... I'm an insurance agent so VIN's are my life, so to speak. I can read a VIN and tell you probably more than you wanted to know about your car. I noticed the VIN indicated this was a 1986 model year car. BIG HUMMM........

There was a silver haired gentleman standing near the car and I struck up a conversation with him. He introduced himself a Byron Scott or "Scottie" to his friends and he was the owner of the car in front of us. He had retired from Buick a few years before. I asked him about the no number dash, the HVAC controls, the obviously much better paint on the car, etc. He said, "Son, that's the prototype GNX". Of course, I had to know more so we sat down and continued our conversation.

Mr. Scott explained how Buick had used an 86 GN as one was available for conversion already in their fleet. My guess is they didn't want to take a car they could sell and make money on so they used one already "written off". They used this car for most all the photos taken of the GNX for publication as it had a "show quality" paint job on it and had been "massaged" to remove die dimples and ripples in the body and bumpers. They did NOT include the special GNX turbo or any other performance enhancing GNX upgrade as those parts were not visible on a turntable. It does have the proper GNX rear suspension and exhaust however.

After hearing this, I introduced myself to Mr. Scott and showed him the GSX Prototype I also own. I asked him if he ever planned on selling the GNX and he assured me it was not for sale. I told him I understood that my GSX was not for sale either. I told him how I had built a building to store the GSX in that is alarmed, sprinkled, has HVAC and that if he ever did consider selling, I would like a shot at the car as the GNX would reside next to my GSX in that same building. I would also do my best at showing the car as often as my schedule allows. He said, no, not for sale. OK, I understand. But before I left, I pressed my business card in his hand and told him if you ever reconsider, well, you know the rest.

I received a call about 6 months later from Scottie. At first I had no idea who he was or what he was talking about. Took me by total surprise. We talked for awhile and finally he asked me to make him an offer on the GNX. I thought about it for a little bit and told him he should come up with a number in his own mind he is comfortable with and let me know that number. He gave me a number and I countered and we agreed. In December 1998 my family and I drove to the Charlotte area and picked up the car in our truck and trailer. Mr. and Mrs. Scott were great hosts and we had supper with them that evening.

So that's the real story. Oh, I don't own it anymore either. Gave it away.....to my son Alex. :)

So you seen a guy that knew a man?
D

I knew a guy that went to see a man once....about a dog........when he went to see the dog, he noticed a mysterious black car in the garage....
the rest is history..........

how
Yep, I missed seeing that post. It is exactly correct so sit down and I'll explain my GNX and how it came to be.

#000 is not my car, mine has no number on the dash at all. Mine was used by Buick for shows, displays and exhibits to boost interest in the GNX's. It is a 1986 Grand National that Buick sent to ASC for conversion to a GNX. I have all the internal Buick documentation on the car. It is a real GNX but not counted as one of the 547 nor is X-Ray or GNX 000.

I first saw the car in 1998 at the GS Nationals, the year of the never ending rain and straw was $5 a bale. It was parked under the Buick tent and during one of the downpours, I went under that tent to try to stay dry. I was looking over the GNX and noticed it did not have a GNX number on the dash...humm... Also, it had touch control HVAC and I knew GNX's had lever control HVAC. Hummm again... I'm an insurance agent so VIN's are my life, so to speak. I can read a VIN and tell you probably more than you wanted to know about your car. I noticed the VIN indicated this was a 1986 model year car. BIG HUMMM........

There was a silver haired gentleman standing near the car and I struck up a conversation with him. He introduced himself a Byron Scott or "Scottie" to his friends and he was the owner of the car in front of us. He had retired from Buick a few years before. I asked him about the no number dash, the HVAC controls, the obviously much better paint on the car, etc. He said, "Son, that's the prototype GNX". Of course, I had to know more so we sat down and continued our conversation.

Mr. Scott explained how Buick had used an 86 GN as one was available for conversion already in their fleet. My guess is they didn't want to take a car they could sell and make money on so they used one already "written off". They used this car for most all the photos taken of the GNX for publication as it had a "show quality" paint job on it and had been "massaged" to remove die dimples and ripples in the body and bumpers. They did NOT include the special GNX turbo or any other performance enhancing GNX upgrade as those parts were not visible on a turntable. It does have the proper GNX rear suspension and exhaust however.

After hearing this, I introduced myself to Mr. Scott and showed him the GSX Prototype I also own. I asked him if he ever planned on selling the GNX and he assured me it was not for sale. I told him I understood that my GSX was not for sale either. I told him how I had built a building to store the GSX in that is alarmed, sprinkled, has HVAC and that if he ever did consider selling, I would like a shot at the car as the GNX would reside next to my GSX in that same building. I would also do my best at showing the car as often as my schedule allows. He said, no, not for sale. OK, I understand. But before I left, I pressed my business card in his hand and told him if you ever reconsider, well, you know the rest.

I received a call about 6 months later from Scottie. At first I had no idea who he was or what he was talking about. Took me by total surprise. We talked for awhile and finally he asked me to make him an offer on the GNX. I thought about it for a little bit and told him he should come up with a number in his own mind he is comfortable with and let me know that number. He gave me a number and I countered and we agreed. In December 1998 my family and I drove to the Charlotte area and picked up the car in our truck and trailer. Mr. and Mrs. Scott were great hosts and we had supper with them that evening.

So that's the real story. Oh, I don't own it anymore either. Gave it away.....to my son Alex. :)
how about some photos :D

OK, but it doesn't look any different than a production version...

Buick012resize.jpg