Who's running hyper pistons and how much boost you hitting them with??

jay3000

Tirbo NEWBIE
I'm running hypers in my TT 350 Skylark with 10 lbs of boost and I get sick of people telling me that the hyper pistons are going to explode. Why do hypers get such a bad rap??

Jay

My friend ran 26 lbs often with alchy. Its all in the tuning as detonation will kill any piston with enuf of it. Also Hypers are better than years ago when they first came out from my understanding.

Years ago, they had a high failure rate-hence the bad rap. Further more, they are not as forgiving as good forged pistons. You are more likely to get away with some detonation if something goes wrong if you are using forged pistons. Its mostly agreed that they are better made today. If the vehicle is tuned for no detonation they should live. Some have been in the 10's with them.

btw its not the boost but the hp you make

divide the hp you're making by 8 an you'll have the hp each piston is seeing , on the 6cyl guys have managed high 10s just around 75-80hp per piston

the stock turbo pistons have been pushed faster at over 100 per piston

thats not to say that running 75 hp per piston is wise or that they'll survive long but they have been there , also depends on if your hypers were designed specifically for turbo , if its an NA hyper i wouldnt expect to be a wise thing to even run at 50hp per cyl (400hp)

They are brittle compared to cast or Forged.
Like others say they are not forgiving. When my wonderful Walbro F269 pump died suddenly the number #1 piston let go.

I'm running hypers with 24lbs of boost turning low 11's@124mph with no issues. Just make sure your tune is good. :cool:

That's what are in stock Syclones & Typhoons,& when they detonate,they explode!

But guys have run as much as 27 PSi w/stock hyper pistons,I have gone w/24 psi,the tune has to be correct.

I've been unable to find any documented cases of hyper pistons exploding. I looked long and hard before I decided to run them. That and the fact that custom forged pistons would cost me over 100 each. I've seen many cases where stock cast will chip at the ring land.

I'm running 10lbs with alky on a motor that made about 290HP NA with the wrong cam, wrong carb, and stock exhaust. I figure it's making more than that now. Gotta get it to the track.

Anyone have documentation of a hyper exploding??

Here's what it looks like..

Attachments

• 000_0276.jpg
    000_0276.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 296
Stock cast they had steel inserts added for strength. They were good pistons.
Made by A E Clevite for GM. Now discontinued.