whos had alky pump failures?

matt87

hey guys, just looking for those who have had pump failures to chime in on this thread. i'm in a bit of a dilema myself. this past summer i had two shurflow pumps fail on me, and the end result sadly cost me 1 motor and 1 friendship. i admit i detonated pretty badly while i tried to figure out why the car was knocking. so fast forward to now, the car is at Cotton's getting a second rebuild in less than a year. i dont have much faith in the alky pumps, are they that failure prone or did i just get bad luck? i loved the ability to run pump gas with big boost. i cant go throught this again this season. my two pumps failures were from a tear in one and warpage in the other, alyways ran straight vp meth. thanks for any comments.

Too bad about frying two engines in a short time.I have heard others state pump failures doing serious damage but what can you do if pump fails when you have your foot into it under high boost.hows system are you running?I believe Razor had an upgrade in the fall on his system pump depending on part/serial #.These pumps are mechanical things and fail,unfortulantely it hit you hard in the wallet.Alot of members use meth in their system and these pump kits never advertised meth use.Can this be adding to problem?Im not sure these pumps are taken care of during long storage and climate conditions.Has the kit manufacturer responded in any way?

Are you sure the pump failed? And not something else?

I'd be curious to see why it failed. I have not seen any of the new pumps fail since we started making the new mods back in early October. Yours had the pressure update, was it installed? Hundreds have been sold since then with zero issue. Hence my first sentance above.

Mechanical parts will have failure. There is no perfect mechanical device. The best line of defense is monitoring knock. If you fail to monitor and address knock, bad things will always happen.. alky or not.

Sorry to hear about the motor. Racing an engine at sustained high boost levels has consequences. Your best line of defense is monitoring. And being quick to make the decision to pull out of the pedal if a problem arises.

My concern is to address what happens after the new motor is built by Jack. race gas wont stop you from blowing it up.. if it did.. there would be no carnage at Buick events. My suggestion is to create layers of protection so in case you blow your fuel pressure hose, blow the hose of off your MAP, injector fails, fuel pump fails, ecu fails, plug misfires, MAF fails, TPS fails, alky system fails, etc... any of these will hurt your motor... and your able to make a correction.

Having bullet proof head gaskets eliminates them from blowing, but makes it more so your responsibility to be on top of things. A set of felpros get detonated.. its a 100 dollar deal in parts. A set of Cometics.. its 3K in parts.

In simplest form.. I run an audible knock sensor with my FAST. If it goes off... I lift. If I dont.. i'll be building a new motor. Buy an LM1 or XD1 and watch the air fuel.. if it goes lean.. Lift. Hopefully all works well.. and you never have to lift.

I hope you can contact me directly to address the pump. And if a failure is found, see as to why. Was it due to chemical, debris, mechanical, electrical, etc.

it was two alky pump failures not two engines (thank god!) it was the pump diaphram that tore on one, and the other was severly warped so no pressure. all this happened in a months time over this past summer. kit was razor's progressive kit. the system is drained now for storage as the new engine is being built.

turbofrank said:
What tore and warped?

Valve. One due to chemical, one due to debris.

Updated valving installed. Dont know if pressure module was wired. That would have alerted pump was not building pressure.

yeah Russ put the third pump on at the track(october) and thats the newest(i think) thats the one still in the car. trust me i love the kit just very nervous about detonating at 25-26 psi and killing another motor. the first pump Russ sent you and you said it has a small rip in the diaphram, the second Russ took apart in front of me and we both saw it was distorted. i wonder if because the car sits every week, till the weekend, i should drain the meth? maybe to strong for letting it sit??

i'm sorry valve(not diaphram). do you have instructions for the pump alert, that was supposed to be installed but never did. the pump does have the provision for it at the top of it.

I still have your "green light" kit. It's on my bench. Your still welcome to have it. PM me your addy, I'll ship it to you.

matt87 said:
...we both saw it was distorted. i wonder if because the car sits every week, till the weekend, i should drain the meth? maybe to strong for letting it sit??

FWIW:
Mine sits for weeks at a time, and sat for 3 months with a blown HG, no problem with the pump..had to hit test button a few times to get it to prime, but worked(s) fine..

pump failure

My friend has the SMC. he has had it about a year and a half and the pump went south....the car would run right about half the time and the spray on light worked about half the time...pump pressure? i think the pump was weak from day one. Did some work to it one day took it up the road and was getting 8+ degrees knock :confused: i told him the alky can't be spraying so we check and at 10 on the controller we were getting like 30 psi..i knew that wasn't right..anyway he sent it back to SMC $65 and shipping, whatever that was he now has a new pump and it works great now...how long i don't know. i told him to sell the smc and get an alkycontrol kit....i am liking my alkycontrol more and more everyday and it has worked great from day one.........thanks Bob

matt87 said:
i'm sorry valve(not diaphram). do you have instructions for the pump alert, that was supposed to be installed but never did. the pump does have the provision for it at the top of it.

Do this. Send me back the complete pump.. let me test it and confirm an issue.. if so, i'll tear it apart and see what went wrong. Worst case, it will be tested, cleaned and flowed on the bench.

I warranty the pumps unconditionally for one year.. either it gets repaired or replaced. Figure the car is down.. what better time no? All it is two bolts hold it down, unhook the hoses, unplug the connector... piece of cake.

The alert should have been installed long time ago.. it adds to the layers of things to confirm all is well. And if the pumps tests ok.. we need to see what happened elsewhere.

Julio, the pump in the car was working fine when the motor expired. i drained the system shortly thereafter. the car is 100 miles away from my home at Cottons, so i wont be able to send the pump to you any time soon. i'll probally go up to check his progress in the coming weeks. i'll keep you posted anyway. thanks for the help!

matt87 said:
Julio, the pump in the car was working fine when the motor expired. thanks for the help!

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Thought about adding an audible knock alert?

I got one of those....... works great... ought to be in every turbo regal running more than stock boost level..... period.....

How loud is the Casper's unit? Can you hear it while driving with the windows down? I've got an old school Conleys audible detector and I can barely hear it when driving over 45 mph with the windows down.