Who wants to install a new rear main seal??

SPTLSS1

The original rear main seal in my Limited has a slight leak. I am not very mechanically inclined and am more into the cleaning vs wrenching.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area willing to do a rear main seal? I used to own a detailing business and would be willing to swap specialties meaning I'll clean your ride and you repair mine.

Thanks,
Phil

Did you put the floressant dye and determine that it in fact the rear seal? I thought my rear seal was bad but it was in fact the oil pan gasket. My mechanic can do it but he is in Batavia. Good luck. Brad

good point. Could be valve cover breathers or oil pan gasket. i hate the rear main seal. what a PITA

Wish you lived closer to st. louis, I'd gladly swap some detailing for a rear main and oil pan gasket change. I've done my 84 and my 86 this year with great success. Keep in mind, even with using the neoprene rear main, your still going to have a drip every few days. From what I've read on gnttype.net, our block is just a bad design when it comes to rear main seals.

I'd encourage you to be a little more adventureous and get out the wrenches and start getting your hands dirty. Theres a write up on gnttype on how to do the rear main from start to finish, and theres really nothing to difficult about it. I was able to do mine without pulling the starter, and only had to pull the crossover tube and unhook the transmission lines at the transmission.

Something else you'll be able to do is pull your oil pickup tube since its right there, and you can give it a good inspection and see all the junk thats stuck to the screen. My 86 was so plugged up with gasket material and sludge that I would only assume that it had been picking up with just the bypass. If you don't have a parts washer, your wife will be thrilled to death and more than happy to let you use the kitchen sink, some dish soap, and her toothbrush to clean the oil pickup screen. (remember to use new gasket when reinstalling it, and use a mild # of loctite on the 2 bolts to make sure they don't ever back out on their own, if they back out, your engine will be running with no oil going through it. Bad!)

Something else you can do while pan is off, its a good time to inspect main bearings, cylinder walls, and cam with a flashlight and inspection mirror.

None of the bolts that hold on the pan or the crossover tube are hard to get to if your using the right tool. Your in for some bruised knuckles if you try to do it all with the same socket and wrench. Buy tools as you need them. I've made life a whole lot easier by grinding down certain wrenches and sockets on certain jobs.
sorry for long post, I'm waiting for my flight. :frown:

Thanks for the replies.

I agree I will do some more investigating to locate the exact location of the drip. I just assumed it's the rear main since it's never been changed and they are of course prone to leak.

tb3, I am in STL quite often due to business (actually Maryland Heights) so you never know. I did print the step by step instructions off another Buick forum & as I read I was getting more & more lost.

Let the investiagting begin...:mad:

tb3
I am in Ofallon MO, what would you charge to do mine? PM me
Thanks
Bryan

case a beer, you'll have to help though, I have been extremely busy lately. better yet, if you can wait till sometime next month, I've got some vacation time I'll be burning up. I'm going to install some poly motor mounts, do the f body rad conversion and install new astroroof seal on my t. I've got a giant garage, plenty of room for you to pull in and do the rear main yourself while I walk you through it.

case a beer, you'll have to help though, I have been extremely busy lately. better yet, if you can wait till sometime next month, I've got some vacation time I'll be burning up. I'm going to install some poly motor mounts, do the f body rad conversion and install new astroroof seal on my t. I've got a giant garage, plenty of room for you to pull in and do the rear main yourself while I walk you through it.

Beer is no problem!!
Seems like you got the same problem I have...too busy. Now I have another issue to deal with.I just got back from the Midwest Challenge, finally going to get my car tuned by Jack Cotton... lost a head gasket at 2/3 track :( . The car still went 12.58 @ 102 mph in a HUGE CLOUD of smoke. Thanks for the offer, PM me when the time comes. I also have a HR motor mt to install, FMIC, upper and lower CA's, HR Bar, high speed fan relay, EGR block-off...
Thanks Bryan